Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Do you experience "Brake Groan"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 12:10 PM
magnido45
2nd Gear Member

Default Do you experience "Brake Groan"?

Stock non-brembo brakes (pads, rotors) at 34K miles...I don't experience any noise when braking, but when I release the brakes from a full stop, I hear a slight groaning noise from the front brakes only. I did some research and some sources say it's normal. The noise is similar to rubbing your finger on glass that has just been wiped clean. Do your brakes make this noise?

Last edited by magnido45; 03-17-2014 at 12:12 PM. Reason: mistype
Old 03-17-2014, 12:59 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

I have that issue as well, I heard somewhere that it was the brake fluid needing replacement, or perhaps air in the lines however I have not confirmed that yet.

My noise sounds almost identical to yours, like you could almost mistake it for old rusty springs creaking.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:59 PM
2011V6Nicole
2nd Gear Member

same issue here, it just recently started happening and only seems to do it when I first start the car up and move. Im at 38k miles.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:24 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

I get the same noise on my 2012 GT. Only when really cold out. I have never heard the noise when the temps are above 30 degrees F, or after a few braking cycles. I have always just assumed its normal because of the cold. I now have 40K miles. I see that you are in California, so I would suspect that you have not experienced the cold temps like here in the east?

When I was at about 36K miles I had a similar groaning noise that came from the front suspension when braking and going over speed bumps. This turned out to be front control arm bushings that I got replaced. If your car also makes the noise when going over speed bumps then it may be more than just the brakes.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:09 AM
magnido45
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
I get the same noise on my 2012 GT. Only when really cold out. I have never heard the noise when the temps are above 30 degrees F, or after a few braking cycles. I have always just assumed its normal because of the cold. I now have 40K miles. I see that you are in California, so I would suspect that you have not experienced the cold temps like here in the east?

When I was at about 36K miles I had a similar groaning noise that came from the front suspension when braking and going over speed bumps. This turned out to be front control arm bushings that I got replaced. If your car also makes the noise when going over speed bumps then it may be more than just the brakes.
Temps have been warm here. My suspension is actually quiet over all bumps, dips, etc...so I am confident it is only the pads/rotors. The braking is also quiet upon the first few times of braking...seems like the groan only happens after a few minutes of start/stop traffic. I can control the noise from happening if I brake lightly (2-3 times) in order to roll to a super slow, snail's pace stop. But if I just brake once to come to a stop (like one would normally), that's when the groan happens upon brake release. I've read about glaze build up on the pads and rotors, but that seems to be more of a squealing sound than a groan.

Last edited by magnido45; 03-18-2014 at 10:15 AM. Reason: mistype
Old 03-20-2014, 08:06 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by magnido45
Stock non-brembo brakes (pads, rotors) at 34K miles...I don't experience any noise when braking, but when I release the brakes from a full stop, I hear a slight groaning noise from the front brakes only. I did some research and some sources say it's normal. The noise is similar to rubbing your finger on glass that has just been wiped clean. Do your brakes make this noise?
Originally Posted by aaquib1992
I have that issue as well, I heard somewhere that it was the brake fluid needing replacement, or perhaps air in the lines however I have not confirmed that yet.

My noise sounds almost identical to yours, like you could almost mistake it for old rusty springs creaking.
Originally Posted by 2011V6Nicole
same issue here, it just recently started happening and only seems to do it when I first start the car up and move. Im at 38k miles.
Originally Posted by BrazenStang
Hello guys,

I recommend you bring your vehicles in to your dealers and have them checked out. Speak to your service manager, as he is in the best position to look into this for you and can check into any warranty, assistance, recalls, or customer satisfaction programs that may apply to your vehicle.

Also, remember repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty. You can schedule an appointment online here.

Deysha