Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Handling of 2014 GT vs v6 Performance Package

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 08:06 PM
JoeSmoe872

Default Handling of 2014 GT vs v6 Performance Package

I am trying to pick between a 2014 GT and a 2014 v6 with Performance Package. I can afford either one and I am satisfied with the acceleration of the v6, so cost and HP are not factors.

My question is: does one car handle much better than the other? Does one have much less body roll? Does the lighter v6 feel more agile? Does the heavier GT make up for the difference in weight with a much higher HP? Setting aside raw acceleration, does one car feel sportier than the other?
Old 03-21-2014, 08:49 AM
RetiredSFC 97
1st Gear Member

What do you want to do with the car? If it's a DD, I wouldn't spend the money on the performance package, I would spend it on other options. If racing around, or tracking the car is important, then get the performance package. I have an upgraded suspension on another car I have, and since I don't track it, it's just wasted money.

My 3.7 drives and handles fine without the performance package. The only thing I have to compare it to is my vette. Sure the vette will out perform my Mustang, but I don't track it so what does that really mean? Not much in my personal opinion.

I know performance goodies is really important to some people and for good reason. Is it to you is the question?

From what you say, I personally would go with the GT.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:36 AM
JoeSmoe872

This would be for a daily driver. I don't expect to ever track it. However, I enjoy driving a car that has excellent handling (currently driving a bmw 3 series).

It's hard to find a v6 with PP where I live. I test drove a base v6 and I was not happy with the amount of body roll. Does the PP make a significant difference in the handling?
Old 03-21-2014, 12:07 PM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

Buy the base 3.7, then replace the struts, shocks and springs. Sam Strano has a really good package for the 3.7L mustangs that is much better than the PP. It consists of Steeda springs, Koni yellows and steeda strut mounts, and sams front and rear anti roll bars. This dramatically improves the ride quality and handling, even over the Ford PP. The reason i know was I bought a base 3.7, then purchased the performance package from Ford Racing, then talked with Sam Strano after I was disappointed with the PP ride quality. He fixed me up with the package I mentioned, I got it installed, and am very happy with the handling now. www.stranoparts.com
Old 03-21-2014, 12:13 PM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

I agree with ^^^

I'm very new to all of this but I think you shouldn't plan on keeping the stock suspension. For $1000 you can get a MUCH better setup on either car.

Get the GT.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:26 AM
13V6coupe
I drive a V6 because I'm a giant wimp

I bought a 13 v6 performance package and drove it back to back with a 13 gt. handling and braking felt very much the same, acceleration well obviously the 5.0 had more than the 3.7

I was quite happy with mine until I went and did a track event with it, then I bought Eiback pro kit springs to drop it about 1"-which necessitated an adjustable panhard bar. and the ride and control at the next track event was pretty happy, even lapped much better times, but that would be due in large part to removing the speed limiter with a new driveshaft and being able to run 30+ mph faster on both straights--but no doubt the lowered stance and stiffer springs helped. I just can't directly compare how much in a quantitive amount like lap times.

The performance package gives you far better rims and tires too...worth the cost IMO-besides the front strut tower brace, better brakes and bigger roll bars, for the $1900 hit the PP costs, I think it is definitely worth it.
I don't miss a GT even after having several of them and a couple Saleens, I really enjoy my V6 even at the track but mostly on the street and even too much towing

If I had an extra $700 laying around this moment i would definitely buy the koni's that are now 25% off, then I could be be done.................................for now

I do not know how much weight difference there really is between the two (5.0 vs 3.7) but I suspect it is alot less than one would think.

Last edited by 13V6coupe; 03-22-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:57 AM
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

If memory serves the V6 PP has the same suspension as the base GT's.
But like said above adding proper lowering springs and a good shock/strut package will do wonders for either car.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:57 AM
jRaskell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
What do you want to do with the car? If it's a DD, I wouldn't spend the money on the performance package, I would spend it on other options. If racing around, or tracking the car is important, then get the performance package. I have an upgraded suspension on another car I have, and since I don't track it, it's just wasted money.
I wouldn't make such a clear distinction there. Depending on what sort of competitive driving the car may get used for, any of the performance packages from the factory could be a waste of money, as it'll all get replaced with aftermarket parts to be competitive.

And even if it's a daily driving, there's still significant value in having a well handling vehicle. Accident avoidance appears to be a lost concept to many people, and the better your vehicle handles, the greater the chances of avoiding an accident.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:11 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Handling is comparable, but the 5.0 has much more long term potential. (for additional power if you decide 300 isn't enough anymore)
Old 03-27-2014, 07:06 PM
Grant 302

The V6 PP handles way better than a base GT. Most of that is in the tires. And it does feel more agile than any of the V8 variants.

Regardless of the engine you are getting, since you're buying new, consider getting a base car and spend the money on options like the Recaros, nav, etc. Then get the aftermarket suspension mods, tires, rims, that will blow away the stock ones. It's not hard to do.

If you are not into doing your own mods then either the V6 PP or V8 Track Pack would be decent options. The value of the V6 PP is mainly in the 255 P Zero tires, and the rest of the package is mostly parts bin raiding from the GT. Ditto with the TP GT, but the parts are raided from the Boss bin! Torsen diff, aluminum finned diff cover, 3.73s, Recaros, Brembo brakes, Boss radiator and oil cooler plus the same 255 P Zeros.

Good luck deciding.

Quick Reply: Handling of 2014 GT vs v6 Performance Package