Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Ford Racing lowering Springs question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 10:44 PM
bmkj02

Default Ford Racing lowering Springs question

Hey guys
I got a 2011 GT. Got the FR springs with the 1.5" drop. Does it really require the Ford Racing M-18183-C upper strut mounts and M-18000-A dampers? I don't see any other springs requiring anything other than a panhard bar. What makes these springs different than the others? I got the same brand on my '87 and am happy with them so wanted the same.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2014, 11:37 AM
tobaGT

In most cases the best ride will come from a spring and strut designed to work together. With struts, the valving is normally fixed, so a stiffer spring will be under damped for a "bouncier" ride...essentially the movement of the spring is less controlled. I don't have my mustang yet, but I'm looking at the Ford P springs, and am trying to decide between the fixed FR shocks/struts or the adjustable ones, since I personally prefer a slightly over damped ride. I know for me the springs won't be enough because they'll be pretty underdamped on the stock struts and for me that's annoying. All depends on personal preference, but if you plan on doing any track work at all, you'll want the extra damping.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:15 PM
bmkj02

Not really a track person. More for appearance. So basically these springs will work like the others. Don't really need to buy shocks and struts to make them work? I just don't have the money right now for them since I still need to get the bump stops and the panhard bar. I just want to make sure I don't ruin something else if I don't get them
Old 03-22-2014, 07:20 AM
tobaGT

They'll work, but the ride will be a little bouncier and your stock shocks/struts will wear out a little faster. But if it's really strictly an appearance thing, you'll most likely be okay with just the springs.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:27 PM
bmkj02

Originally Posted by tobaGT
They'll work, but the ride will be a little bouncier and your stock shocks/struts will wear out a little faster. But if it's really strictly an appearance thing, you'll most likely be okay with just the springs.
Cool. Thanks. If they do get ruined then Ill replace them when I cross that point. It will at lease give me time.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:38 PM
tobaGT

Absolutely. And post up some pics when you're done. My mustang is on the way and I've got some decisions to make!

Good luck!
Old 03-26-2014, 11:41 AM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

You need nothing with your springs, not even a panhard bar.

Lowered mine without replacing strut mounts, struts, shocks or a panhard bar. Looks spot on (no alignment needed for rear with panhard,) and yes the ride is quite rough but that's what you get in a sports car. I also had 80k miles.

If you have a lot less miles there is no reason in replacing suspension components that are nowhere near used up.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:35 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

You don't NEED to upgrade the struts, shocks, and panhard bar with the springs, but it's certainly recommended. Each of those parts represents a significant upgrade.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:24 PM
bmkj02

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
You don't NEED to upgrade the struts, shocks, and panhard bar with the springs, but it's certainly recommended. Each of those parts represents a significant upgrade.
Well my intentions will be for the panhard bar and the bumpstops ASAP. Now I have some new questions that came up

With these springs they recommend the Ford Racing GT500 Style Strut Mount Upgrade. I was considering but got confused. They say when you drop the car it needs alignment and should also consider Caster Camber Plates. In looking at the installation instructions on the Caster Camber Plates it seems the strut mount is not needed at all so I couldn't use both parts together (Caster Camber Plates & Ford Racing GT500 Style Strut Mount Upgrade) Can I use both parts and if not which would be better to use? Im just worried about the popping sound people say comes from the stock mount after you lower the car.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:39 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I'm using GT500 strut mounts and have zero noise. Camber is at -1.8° which I think is perfect.

Quick Reply: Ford Racing lowering Springs question