Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Mustang sitting uneven?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 10:58 AM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Default Mustang sitting uneven?

I just installed my Koni oranges or STRT's, eibach pro kit springs, and j&m panhard the other day and it is such a noticeable difference. I can feel the road more in my GT, almost as if im planted to the ground. I love it.

Im having one issue though. i noticed a noise coming from the passenger side in the rear so i started checking things out. My bump stop back there seems to have a lot less room than the one on the drivers side. I can fit like 1 finger between the bumperstop and the car on the passenger side, while the drivers side can fit like 3. This is leading me to believe the body is sitting awkwardly for some reason.

Anyone know what exactly is going on or have any thoughts? I centered my axle yesterday (wednesday, installed everything on monday) and i thought that was part of the problem but apparently not.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:29 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

just get a tape measure and check from the center of the rear 1//4 panel to the ground!
Old 04-17-2014, 10:11 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

are you sure the ground is flat ? park in a flat area and re-check

my 03 gt had this issue but i didnt do anything about it

Last edited by Andy13186; 04-17-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:25 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

My driver side sits lower than my passenger side for some reason..
Old 04-18-2014, 06:57 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Check to make sure that the springs are all "clocked" correctly (with the ends properly located in the spring seats).

Norm
Old 04-18-2014, 12:22 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Check to make sure that the springs are all "clocked" correctly (with the ends properly located in the spring seats).

Norm
Norm, it didn't seem like there were seats for the rear springs. I know at the bottom there was but I don't believe there was actually a way to line it up like how the front springs had to be against the strut for example... maybe im wrong?

The eibach name and numbers on the springs are facing outard away from the vehicle on both sides.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:21 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

I just had a thought... is it possible I over-tightened the upper shock nut on that side and this could be causing the problem?

ALSO... i just realized again... I think I tightened everything back up while the jack was holding up the rear diff. I am 100% sure that the axle was NOT sitting on jackstands and properly loading the suspension while I tightened everything back there. I DID have them under the panhard i believe (which is now centering the axle). Could this be the problem??

Last edited by l00kitzzlilcj; 04-18-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:39 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Steeda's rear spring installation instructions mentions re-using upper and lower rubber spring seats. Are you missing any?

The front corner diagonally opposite to a low rear corner may be too high, or diagonally opposite to a low rear corner too high, so part of the problem could be at the other end of the car.

Norm
Old 04-18-2014, 04:55 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by l00kitzzlilcj
I just had a thought... is it possible I over-tightened the upper shock nut on that side and this could be causing the problem?
No.

ALSO... i just realized again... I think I tightened everything back up while the jack was holding up the rear diff. I am 100% sure that the axle was NOT sitting on jackstands and properly loading the suspension while I tightened everything back there. I DID have them under the panhard i believe (which is now centering the axle). Could this be the problem??
Possibly. Did you loosen at least the LCA control arm bolts and re-tighten them at the new (lower) ride height? Check your LCA bushings (and the UCA bushings to the extent possible) for possible tearing.

Norm
Old 04-21-2014, 09:30 AM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Steeda's rear spring installation instructions mentions re-using upper and lower rubber spring seats. Are you missing any?

The front corner diagonally opposite to a low rear corner may be too high, or diagonally opposite to a low rear corner too high, so part of the problem could be at the other end of the car.

Norm
I'm pretty sure I have them all. I took the old springs out and put the new ones in and that's it. The front is okay. I checked the wheel gap and distance between the edge of the fender and ground.

Im not sure whats going on with it anymore lol. I originally knew something wasn't right because while I was test driving it, I heard a noise coming from that same corner where the car was sitting lower. Now I noticed the noise is gone and im pretty sure the whole car is sitting evenly too. Possible that everything still needed to settle?

Quick Reply: Mustang sitting uneven?