Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Watts link installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 11:56 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Default Watts link installed

Name:  5xvTCiK.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  100.9 KB

Totally different car now as those of you with one know. Can't believe this wasn't the first thing I did. Rear end is super solid in corners and the car tracks straight over bumps. If you don't have one and are thinking of getting one, DO IT. Fays2 is what I just installed and it wasn't too bad. Took about 4-6 hours on car ramps (no lift available) about 6-8 inches off the ground. Just enough clearance to get me and a creeper under with a little space to work the wrenches in and around the rest of the suspension. Take your time and read the damn directions. I had to remove the linkages a few time failing to read which end went which way and whatnot.

Last edited by gmoran1469; 04-20-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:35 PM
todcp
1st Gear Member

Congrats. I have had mine in for a few hundred miles know and your are right; it is fantastic. Gong to a track day tomorrow. Can't wait. NHIS has a poor road surface and will be a good test of the Fays2.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:59 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I have the same one and it's AMAZING! Enjoy!
Old 04-21-2014, 06:21 PM
todcp
1st Gear Member

My first track day in this car is complete. What a great day. Only intermediate and advanced run groups with 3.5 hours of track time. Northeasttrackdays.com. Nice group.
The car was awesome. I spent the morning sessions getting to know the car and added speed in the afternoon sessions. The car was neutral handling except for one hairpin at turn three at NHMS that brought out some understeer. The understeer was easily dealt with by a bit more throttle to bring the rear end around. The Watts Link was superb as was the Koni Yellow and Steeda Boss 302 springs. The Fays2 watts link was a superb addition on this bumpy track. I was running -1.8 camber. Hot tire pressure was at 39 with the stock Pirelli PZero summer. Tire wear was uniform and the Pirellis were decent performers.
By the last session of the day I had become very confident in the car and was able to finally able to overtake a competently driven 2014 Corvette Z51. He remarked that he tried to hang on but could not keep up. And his car had the super sticky Michelins.
Needless to say I am very pleased with the Mustang and the changes I made. I was a bit worried about my first track experience in a car this big and heavy but by the afternoon the cars size just disappeared. It was quite toss able and easy to manage even when I had it break loose more than I wanted. Looking forward to driving with the Nitto NT01 tires I ordered.
I will try to add a pic later.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:12 PM
06whitegt

I have a similar set up to yours. Drove down to Vegas for the 50th mustang anniversary. I paid for a day on the outside road course (wish now I had paid for all 3!)
I was the quickest in my run group which included a couple of boss 302's and gt500's. Sure they were somewhat faster on the straights, but I received point-by's because they would hold me up in the technical sections.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:58 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by todcp
Looking forward to driving with the Nitto NT01 tires I ordered.
I will try to add a pic later.
NT01's are nasty. I had my ultra-lites wrapped in them for a year or two when I was barely driving the car and it's crazy how sticky they are. 275's all the way around.

Even before I had the watt's link and all I had was the rest of the stuff listed in my sig, I had those NT01's on and went to a track day. Class times are around GT3 if you break 1:25, GT2 if you break 1:23, GT1 if you break 1:21 then past that was formula classes. It's a reasonably short track so the 2 second break between classes is actually a lot of distance in a race. My fastest lap was when they let me out on the track in front of a subaru WRX (fast one with the turbo on it, it was a hatchback) but he told me to go way late so I entered the track right in front of this guy barreling around a corner basically. You enter on the main straight so I jammed through 1-3 and took the first turn at like 105 instead of 90 and nearly lost my **** but managed to regain composure and get on my line. My adrenaline was pounding seeing that guy coming down on me and my mind turned to focus on one thing which was making sure he didn't catch up to me so I didn't mess his run up. I ran a 1:22.5 and was the fastest car that day. They offered the guy behind me a redo and he declined saying he was going as fast as he could.

TLDR; NT01's are some sweet tires and hold up reasonably well for how sticky they are.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:51 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

I finally got to test drive mine after installing the Whiteline Watts over the winter, I still have to get it aligned tomorrow but YES no rear bump steering.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:35 PM
427Roush
1st Gear Member

I recently removed my Fays 2 watts link and installed the Cortex watts link and torque arm. My next track day is at the end of May at Sears Point. (I will always call it Sears Point). The Cortex shop is located at this race track and will be available to fine tune and tweak the watts and coil over system on my car. Can't wait.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:00 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

gonna sell the fays2?
Old 05-05-2014, 05:49 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Now Im wishing I'd bought the take off one from craigslist this last winter