Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

LCA Relocation Bracket Geometry

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 02:05 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Default LCA Relocation Bracket Geometry

I've been riding on steeda sports forever now, never did any relocation brackets for my LCA's. Figured since I've changed so much else I may as well do that too.

What is the geometry I am looking for? Does the LCA need to be parallel to the ground when the car is level and on the ground?

I've looked at all the relocation brackets. They are nice, but I have a 4-axis waterjet and plenty of steel so I'd rather spend $20 cutting them out and bending them as opposed to $150 on so premade stuff that won't be as beefy as what I make.

Also, do I need to drain the rear end of fluid before I weld the relocation brackets in? I've never done any welding on a rear end, only TIG welding on unibodies. Gonna MIG the brackets in place.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:54 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Yes, ideally you want the LCA to be parallel to the ground. Maybe even upward at a slight angle from the axle to the body. I bought the whiteline relo brackets and I couldn't believe how thick the steel was. Overall, I was very impressed by them. This set is only $100 at AM, not $150 like you said.

Personally I would recommend buying those and saving your time and efforts for other fabricating projects. Do you know what gauge steel you will be using? You will need something substantial to match the strength characteristics of the Chromoly 4130 used in the Whiteline brackets. Finally, the whiteline brackets can be welded in place, but this would only be needed for serious HP applications.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:34 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
Yes, ideally you want the LCA to be parallel to the ground. Maybe even upward at a slight angle from the axle to the body. I bought the whiteline relo brackets and I couldn't believe how thick the steel was. Overall, I was very impressed by them. This set is only $100 at AM, not $150 like you said.

Personally I would recommend buying those and saving your time and efforts for other fabricating projects. Do you know what gauge steel you will be using? You will need something substantial to match the strength characteristics of the Chromoly 4130 used in the Whiteline brackets. Finally, the whiteline brackets can be welded in place, but this would only be needed for serious HP applications.
Carbon steel. Chromoly doesn't have the fatigue that carbon steel does. I feel like if I use chromoly it would be prone to break with a hard launch.

I am also pretty sure your whiteline relocation brackets aren't chromoly and are just carbon steel. I'm almost positive.

I plan to use 1/4" thick carbon on the outside with a spacer to make up for the thickness of the original mounting location. Kind of like the BMR ones but way beefier.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:12 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I may have been mistaken about the whiteline material. Most of their control arms are chromoly and I thought the brackets were too.

Either way, I don't see the need to make either of these brackets beefier. They have been tested on track and drag cars. The brackets are specifically designed for their purpose. I don't think engineers and racers would skimp on something so important.

For welding on the axle tube, yes you should drain the fluid.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:16 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Cool Whiteline rules

Originally Posted by BrazenStang

I've had my whiteline's for a year, they are great!
Old 05-15-2014, 06:54 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gmoran1469
What is the geometry I am looking for? Does the LCA need to be parallel to the ground when the car is level and on the ground?
This should be based on how you're going to use the car.

A street/strip car can run with LCA inclination going uphill toward the chassis as long as the street driving does not include hard cornering. Here, you want to increase anti-squat, and most folks interested in this kind of setup don't (shouldn't) drive the corners hard enough to make axle roll steer become critical.

For autocross, road course open tracking, and "canyon running", you don't want a setting anywhere near that aggressive. Level to slightly uphill toward the axle will make the axle steer easier to deal with. Axle roll steer is more important than anti-squat here.

Don't forget that the car settles a fraction of an inch when you get in. In a car that has already been lowered this will tend to increase both the anti-squat and the understeer effect from axle steer.

Anti-squat and axle steer can be calculated for any LCA adjustment position that either exists in an available product or that you want to try out in a DIY-fabbed version. . . . If you knew what you wanted in those parameters you'd be able to determine what adjustment position(s) you'd need to have.

You shouldn't have to weld directly to the axle tubes, just short beads to the OE brackets. If you take your time, let things cool between running each bead, and maybe keep a wet rag handy I think you could get away without draining the diff. On the other hand, if there's any chance that the diff fluid is getting near time to be changed, this would be a great opportunity to do so.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-15-2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:17 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
This should be based on how you're going to use the car.

A street/strip car can run with LCA inclination going uphill toward the chassis as long as the street driving does not include hard cornering. Here, you want to increase anti-squat, and most folks interested in this kind of setup don't (shouldn't) drive the corners hard enough to make axle roll steer become critical.

For autocross, road course open tracking, and "canyon running", you don't want a setting anywhere near that aggressive. Level to slightly uphill toward the axle will make the axle steer easier to deal with. Axle roll steer is more important than anti-squat here.

Don't forget that the car settles a fraction of an inch when you get in. In a car that has already been lowered this will tend to increase both the anti-squat and the understeer effect from axle steer.

Anti-squat and axle steer can be calculated for any LCA adjustment position that either exists in an available product or that you want to try out in a DIY-fabbed version. . . . If you knew what you wanted in those parameters you'd be able to determine what adjustment position(s) you'd need to have.

You shouldn't have to weld directly to the axle tubes, just short beads to the OE brackets. If you take your time, let things cool between running each bead, and maybe keep a wet rag handy I think you could get away without draining the diff. On the other hand, if there's any chance that the diff fluid is getting near time to be changed, this would be a great opportunity to do so.

Norm
Nah, it was changed with synthetic within the last 5k miles so no need to change. I am all about cornerning and rarely drag the car. If slightly uphill to the axle is what I want for better cornerning then it would make sense to just stay with my original OE brackets as that's exactly what I have with it lowered on steeda sport springs.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:19 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

How far are you lowered from stock?

Norm
Old 05-15-2014, 04:44 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
How far are you lowered from stock?

Norm
Sport springs claim 1" in the front and 1.25" in the back.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:17 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

With that information, right now your axle roll steer is somewhere around 9.5%, which is rather high compared to stock (a little under 3%, which is a pretty good place to be for a wide variety of driving situations). I'm guessing your LCA inclination is about 6° uphill toward the axle vs about 2° uphill toward the axle as OE. Those figures are with a 185 lb driver aboard.

Relocating the axle side LCA pivot downward something like 1.1" to maybe 1.25" will get you back to the OE amount of axle steer (around 3%, with LCA inclinations 2° or so uphill toward the axle). In your case, at a little more than 1.5" down, the axle steer starts going "loose", which can be good for autocross if maybe not so good in other situations, such as where the road might turn at the same time it crests a small rise. Fortunately, the effect is pretty mild as long as you don't drop the axle side pivot heights too much more than the car is lowered. Twice as much as the car lowering would be a lot and way too much for your purposes. At 40% more (about 1.75"), maybe not . . . but you'd have to drive it to find out for sure, as the numbers alone can't tell you what you'll be happy with.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-15-2014 at 06:23 PM.

Quick Reply: LCA Relocation Bracket Geometry