Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

'13 Strut install without a spring compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 04:55 PM
Mr Nice Guy
1st Gear Member

Question '13 Strut install without a spring compressor?

I will be installing Koni Yellows and Steeda Sport springs on my 13 GT next weekend. I was just watching the install for the SVE Springs from LMR and the guy in the video doesn't use a spring compressor which looks easier and quicker than the way most install instructions show. Also I noticed he uses an impact on the top strut bolt but I have heard that that can damage the piston. Here's the video:
Is this a good way to install or should I go with a compressor? Also is it OK to use the impact on the top bolt? I was thinking removal I'm not worried about but I don't want to damage my Konis. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:23 PM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

I have done tons of spring installs that way...

Air tools always make life easier.

As far as the compressor goes, it is always the safest way to go when removing stock springs. But, this way works too if you don't have access to one. It compresses the suspension enough. Then again, you can rent/buy one for about $60 from an autozone. Obviously it will not be a wall mount unit that most pros use, it will still get the job done.

I have never needed to use a compressor after getting the OE springs off. Just like you saw in the video, a little pressure and voila!

Impact on the top bolt is fine as long as you don't over tighten.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:13 PM
Mr Nice Guy
1st Gear Member

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to getting them installed. Would you recommend one way over the other? Local auto parts store rents the compressor for a deposit so no big deal either way. Thanks again.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:04 AM
Scott2
2nd Gear Member

Personally, I would use a strut spring compressor especially if it is refundable deposit.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:18 AM
Jarrod@latemodel
Former Sponsor

Mr Nice Guy. After doing this same install on 3 of my own S197 cars, there is no real need for a spring compressor. It is the safest way, but as long as you take your time with the jack, there shouldn't be any problem when it comes to safety.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:22 AM
Mr Nice Guy
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys think I will try it without the spring compressor. Looks to be a quicker way to do it and it'll save me a trip to the autoparts store.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:14 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

since you're basically installing a completed assembly up front, you don't need compressors.

if you were taking apart the stock stuff? totally.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:02 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I don't use a spring compressor when I lower S197s. No problem.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:55 PM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

What I didn't see in the video was any mention of torquing everything. I definitely would not use air tools to finish tightening the hardware. You can over tighten so easily that way. I think you'll be ok without the compressor but I highly recommend using a torque wrench on all of the hardware.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:23 AM
Mr Nice Guy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
since you're basically installing a completed assembly up front, you don't need compressors.

if you were taking apart the stock stuff? totally.
I am re-using the stock strut mounts so I do have to take the strut assembly apart.

Quick Reply: '13 Strut install without a spring compressor?