Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Traction Control/ Advance Track Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 09:21 PM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by todcp
Using our car on a race track or autocross you must completely turn off the traction control. So as stated "hold the button down for five of six seconds" until it says "Advance track off".
If you leave it in sport mode and your rear begins to slide the electronics will engage the rear brakes to save the slide. Not good for the rear brake or your track times. Also loss of traction during acceleration will start to shut down the motor as well. Such as cresting a hill with the throttle on full.
So. Turn off the traction control completely if you have the skill to not lose control of the car. If inexperienced leave it in sport.
Um...it was off. I think the OP stated his was off as well.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:49 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

Yes, mine was totally off.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:09 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by darksky1984
And Norm, I remember Terry saying that the BOSS 302 ABS is only for track only cars. That it doesn't work well with street cars.
I very vaguely remember there being something - is there any chance you remember any of the details why it might not be street-friendly? Other than the standard "for off road use only" flag.

AdvanceTrak has had a few issues that have been documented, and the solution for one individual involved having to hook up some sort of data recorder until it could actually record a fault. There's a pretty lengthy thread on another Mustang forum.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-31-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:25 AM
todcp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by darksky1984
Yes, mine was totally off.
Oops. My Bad.
Guess I just didn't think this was possible so blanked out on a critical part of the post.
Sorry
Old 07-31-2014, 10:38 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I very vaguely remember there being something - is there any chance you remember any of the details why it might not be street-friendly? Other than the standard "for off road use only" flag.

AdvanceTrak has had a few issues that have been documented, and the solution for one individual involved having to hook up some sort of data recorder until it could actually record a fault. There's a pretty lengthy thread on another Mustang forum.

Norm
Terry said this about it: "The "M-2353-CA" module (shown above) is the Ford Racing ABS/TC unit we will be testing at USCA this weekend and at TWS at the end of this month on our Time Trial car. Yes, I realize this this -CA unit is not made for street driven cars and it will "make the dash light-up like a Christmas tree" but it already does that now with CELs and AdvanceTrac failures, ha!"

I think that I might really consider getting this if it will fix the issue. I just need to figure out what lights/ alarms it will set off every time I turn the car on before I pull the trigger on this. But I also read a review on this that said that the M2353-CA will not work with a standard GT or Boss car with the factory wiring harness. That I need the M2353-C for it to plug and play with my factory wiring harness.

Last edited by darksky1984; 07-31-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:21 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Sounds like it might be a problem to fit at least the CA to my 2008, though having no AdvanceTrac light for it to work with and a TC=off lamp that I always put on leaves only the CEL.

Here's a couple of links you may be interested in.

Link

Link describing the initial problem

Norm
Old 08-01-2014, 08:01 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

This is something else that Terry said about the -CA unit. "Rumor is that the Ford engineers didn't want people putting these in their street cars, so they made all of the warning lights come on and an annoying chime bong every 10 minutes, to discourage street use. And while it is a bit annoying, I'm going to keep using this unit on our semi-dedicated track/autocross car. It works so well on both street and race tires, removing all traces of the "AdvanceTrac traction control (and that systems' associated problems) and the ABS works better on spinning street tires, too."

I think that I might check out the -C unit if I can find one.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:14 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

Just to give everyone and update. I bought the -CA unit since it is impossible to find the older one. Like I figured it did have some extra dash lights come on but it's not that bad. The only extra light is the brake light on the dash never goes off, even if your e-brake is released. You can hit the reset button on your dash to get the "check brake system" warning to go away after you turn your car on. It does give a low beep every 10 mins but honestly it is not annoying at all. If anyone else in the future has this problem I do highly recommend getting the Boss 302 R/S ABS module. It works and completely turns off advance track from the start. It is impossible to turn it back on which is fine for me since I have a truck to drive in bad weather conditions. I will say that if your mustang is driven during the winter that you will want to put your old ABS module back in because traction control in the snow is a good thing.