Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Springs that lower relatively even front to rear?

Old 07-22-2014, 04:14 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Default Springs that lower relatively even front to rear?

I've got a 2014 GT Brembo. Being a person who doesn't like a flat tire to spoil a road trip, I carry a full size spare/jack/wrench in the trunk. This adds some weight, and somewhat evens out the stance of the car in stock form. Measuring from the top of the tire to the edge of the fender, the rear has 18mm more gap on the passenger side and only 10mm more gap on the driver side. Why the difference? I don't know, and don't much care about that; it's a Mustang, and there are some pretty large tolerances built in near as I can tell. Yes, the tires had the same amount of air in them and the car was on a level surface and all that.

What I do care about is when I lower the car not ending up with a rear gap less than the front. Most springs lower the rear more than the front, as they should (at least for appearances), but with my extra junk in the trunk I fear I could end up too far in that direction.

Now, I'll also put on Koni Sports when I lower it, and if I understand correctly the front Koni Sports have a spring perch that's lower by about a quarter inch and thus will lower the car a quarter inch extra up front. Correct me if that's not accurate. And I'll get Steeda upper mounts; not going to effect lowering or gap to my knowledge, just throwing that out there. I had Konis with Steeda mounts and OEM springs on my 2010 and the car really worked well, but I want to lower this one a bit.

I will track the car some, but it's mostly a road car and thus needs to keep a reasonable ride and ride height. My first choice was Steeda Boss springs for the minimal lowering and increased rate, but I'm a bit nervous about ending up with a bigger gap in front than in back. Will the Konis make up for that by lowering extra in the front? My other thought is Ford P Springs which claim to lower 1" front and rear, but I've never seen anyone who has taken measurements verify that. I'm looking for anyone who has lowered the car, particularly with either of those springs, and has taken before and after measurements to see how much the car actually dropped front and rear.

I could also be convinced to go with coilovers so I could tweak the ride height to my taste, but with how well the Konis worked on this chassis last time I tried them I'm inclined to go that route.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:57 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Not sure if any make it perfectly even. I had to cut my rear Ford racing springs to make it even. cut off almost 2 coils if I remember correctly.

I have ford racing K springs and they lowered it 1.5 inches all around. The difference in height on each side is normal for most cars for some reason. I think they do it on purpose, but I couldn't tell you why.

Last edited by moosestang; 07-22-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:05 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Oh I don't need the gap perfectly even front to rear, I just need to be certain the gap isn't more in the front than it is in the rear. I don't mind a little rake, and am not a perfectionist in that regard. I just don't want the ***-dragging look...
Old 07-22-2014, 07:55 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

My steeda sports even it out pretty much perfectly. I am getting ready to sit on some Eibach Sportlines though so I am putting them up for sale, let me know if you need a set.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:54 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Lower it and simply add a set of "Air Lift 1000" bags inside the rear coils for "tuning" ....

Last edited by tbear853; 07-22-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:01 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

On a regular GT our Boss 302 springs will lower the GT 1 inch in front and 1 1/4 in the rear, however the spring rates would result in ride quality that could be considered a bit rough with the stock shocks and struts.

If you have a Boss 302 the factory shocks and struts handle this well, but for a GT we recommend not using the stock shocks and struts with these springs.

You can email me at tim@steeda.com if you would like me to put you in contact with one of our sales/suspension experts.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 07-23-2014, 09:51 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbear853
Lower it and simply add a set of "Air Lift 1000" bags inside the rear coils for "tuning" ....
Nice idea!

Or OP could go ***** to the wall with a digital air lift suspension kit! If I had the money, I would, lol.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:36 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Here's a middle option-

Adjustable rear spring kit:
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-a...-mount-05.html
Old 07-25-2014, 09:41 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

That is interesting Sharad; I'd never seen that before. Thanks for putting that out there. Will consider it.

Not going to do anything with air springs; just not a route I'm interested in.

Any spring I get will be matched up with Konis; the OEM shocks and springs are going away, it's just a matter of picking out springs or getting a coilover kit.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:42 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DPE
That is interesting Sharad; I'd never seen that before. Thanks for putting that out there. Will consider it.

Not going to do anything with air springs; just not a route I'm interested in.

Any spring I get will be matched up with Konis; the OEM shocks and springs are going away, it's just a matter of picking out springs or getting a coilover kit.
The steeda sports have about a 1/8" - 1/4" rise in the rear compared to the front, it would probably even out with the extra weight in the trunk you have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Springs that lower relatively even front to rear?