Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

what should my next suspension mod be?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 09:17 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Default what should my next suspension mod be?

Ive been getting more into track stuff and autocross. So far I've done KW V3 coils and ground control camber plates. Also did polyurethane bushings on my front control arms. I was thinking of ordering the Whiteline adjustable rear LCA from hypermotive but I heard that subframe connectors are a good choice too. I also really want that rear X-Brace from steeda that deletes the rear seats because I think it looks awesome but how much does it help? Just looking for some suggestions!
Old 08-09-2014, 09:57 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

What do you feel your car is lacking when you're on the track? Might give us some direction for suggestions if you can tell us what shortcomings you perceive.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:43 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

It definitely needs upgraded upper and lower control arms and an adjustable panhard bar or Watts Link before you do the SFCs or back seat brace. (in terms of value)
Old 08-11-2014, 06:57 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Subframe connectors aren't worth nearly as much in the S197 as they were in the earlier Fox and SN95 chassis cars, so they're way, way down on the list of things you need ever do. They'd be worth more if you had a convertible, but if that's what you have you'd already be in it for some serious rollover protection just to be allowed out on the track at all.

Ford only installed that X-brace on the Laguna Seca cars, which came with R-compound tires. It probably does help some even with less grippy true street tires, but I have no idea how much (particularly in earlier S197s like yours and mine). Yes, I've thought about this sort of mod, and whether it could be made easily removable or out of the way enough for when you weren't tracking the car and needed a third seating position.

I'd put brakes - meaning at the very least a set of track pads and one of the better DOT4 fluids - before anything else.

Then I'd put together a set of (wider) wheels with the (ditto) tires of your choice that get dedicated to your track and autocross time and maybe the travel to and from events only.

Norm
Old 08-11-2014, 04:03 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Subframe connectors aren't worth nearly as much in the S197 as they were in the earlier Fox and SN95 chassis cars, so they're way, way down on the list of things you need ever do. They'd be worth more if you had a convertible, but if that's what you have you'd already be in it for some serious rollover protection just to be allowed out on the track at all.

Ford only installed that X-brace on the Laguna Seca cars, which came with R-compound tires. It probably does help some even with less grippy true street tires, but I have no idea how much (particularly in earlier S197s like yours and mine). Yes, I've thought about this sort of mod, and whether it could be made easily removable or out of the way enough for when you weren't tracking the car and needed a third seating position.

I'd put brakes - meaning at the very least a set of track pads and one of the better DOT4 fluids - before anything else.

Then I'd put together a set of (wider) wheels with the (ditto) tires of your choice that get dedicated to your track and autocross time and maybe the travel to and from events only.

Norm
Ah! Norm! just the guy I wanted to ask! What will be best for keeping our cars steady during these tight autox turns? Also how do you think I should keep my rebound/compression set up? Ive been keeping the back a little loose and tightening the front. So you think the brakes should be my next thing?My wheels are already 9.5 all around, should I go bigger? (the order said 9.5 but when i measured them home I think they actually sent me 10s, but Im not completely sure.)
Old 08-11-2014, 04:04 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

[QUOTE=CMcNam;8416540]What do you feel your car is lacking when you're on the track? Might give us some direction for suggestions if you can tell us what shortcomings you perceive.[/QUOTE
just want to ensure I get the most traction on hard turns, and not kick out as much
Old 08-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DTMR
Ah! Norm! just the guy I wanted to ask! What will be best for keeping our cars steady during these tight autox turns? Also how do you think I should keep my rebound/compression set up? Ive been keeping the back a little loose and tightening the front.
By "keeping the back a little loose and tightening the front" do you mean you're setting relatively low damper settings in the rear and firmer settings up front, or are you referring to how your settings are affecting the car's understeer-oversteer balance?

FWIW, have you seen Koni's tuning guide for double-adjustables?

So you think the brakes should be my next thing?My wheels are already 9.5 all around, should I go bigger? (the order said 9.5 but when i measured them home I think they actually sent me 10s, but Im not completely sure.)
I mentioned brakes specifically because the original post included "track stuff", which I take to mean much higher speeds are involved. Autocross doesn't need more fade resistance than what is available in a performance street pad, though having more bite may work better for some drivers.

Wheels - unless you're running in an autocross class with rule limits on wheel width, you'll gain if you run wider wheels. Steering response and precision should improve, as wider than 9.5" wheels will better support the tread on 275/xx or wider tires. 285's really need an absolute minimum of 10" wheels from the get-go, with at least 10.5" being better still.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-12-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:47 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
By "keeping the back a little loose and tightening the front" do you mean you're setting relatively low damper settings in the rear and firmer settings up front, or are you referring to how your settings are affecting the car's understeer-oversteer balance?

FWIW, have you seen Koni's tuning guide for double-adjustables?

I mentioned brakes specifically because the original post included "track stuff", which I take to mean much higher speeds are involved. Autocross doesn't need more fade resistance than what is available in a performance street pad, though having more bite may work better for some drivers.

Wheels - unless you're running in an autocross class with rule limits on wheel width, you'll gain if you run wider wheels. Steering response and precision should improve, as wider than 9.5" wheels will better support the tread on 275/xx or wider tires. 285's really need an absolute minimum of 10" wheels from the get-go, with at least 10.5" being better still.

Norm

Well on my coils I can adjust the compression and rebound independently so usually i leave the compression looser in the back so it leans in to put a little more weight on the tires through the turns. If you have a link to that koni thing show me!

I do want to take it on the track more so I am planning on upgrading my brakes. I just don't know if I should do an EBC setup or just keep saving and do a brembo/wilwood/baer full upgrade
Old 08-12-2014, 04:48 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

and what about sway bars and rear LCA's
Old 08-12-2014, 09:28 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=DTMR;8417228]
Originally Posted by CMcNam
What do you feel your car is lacking when you're on the track? Might give us some direction for suggestions if you can tell us what shortcomings you perceive.[/QUOTE
just want to ensure I get the most traction on hard turns, and not kick out as much
What Norm said.

Also, and I'm no expert, I agree with Sharad that a Watts Link would be a good investment. You'll get a lot more predictability around the corners.

Quick Reply: what should my next suspension mod be?