Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.
View Poll Results: whats the problem
wheel bearing
50.00%
warped rotor
0%
brake caliper
0%
other (please specify by replying)
50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

brake noise while driving

Old 08-28-2014, 10:52 AM
docsalas173rd

Thumbs down brake noise while driving

just bought my first car, 2010 v6 mustang with 90k miles on it.

vehicle had a right rear high pitched squeaking noise that starts as soon as i get the tires moving, and increases in frequency the faster i go

if i apply the brakes even very softly, the noise will go away. i took the stang to a meineke shop near my base where the replaced the rear rotors and pads... (the previous old rotors had a a ridge forming on the rear right rotor, so they gave me new ones) and the noise returned in about two days.

i took the car back, they told me it was a bent clip, so they replaced it, and sure enough the noise came back the next day.

can anyone give me some advice on what the issue might be.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:39 AM
potman
3rd Gear Member

It's a tiny little mouse who has strapped itself to your tire in a failed suicide attempt. Every time the wheel revolves it smashes the little guy and makes him squeak.

[/smartass]
Old 09-02-2014, 05:32 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

Can you record the noise to help give us all a better idea of what you are dealing with?
Old 09-02-2014, 05:43 PM
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member

Are the brake pads wore out? The brakes have a wear indicator that rubs the rotor when the brakes are worn. It does sound like a squealing/grinding noise that goes away as the brakes are applied and comes back as you drive.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:46 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Something is getting hung up. Weird that it goes away for a couple days and then comes back.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:50 AM
docsalas173rd

Default .

Originally Posted by yourmom6990
Something is getting hung up. Weird that it goes away for a couple days and then comes back.
like i said, if the wheels are turning the noise is constant, if i apply the brakes slightly the noise will go away, the rotors are brand new and the pads as well. ive taken the car back twice now bt the noise hasnt been fixed, ill give the shop one more chance then im going to a ford dealership to see if they can ahndle it. ill try recording the noise as well like the other guy suggested
Old 09-03-2014, 06:34 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Sir you have a bad wheel bearing.

The reason it goes away when brakes are applied is because the pressure from the brakes stops the resonance your hearing, just like a ringing bell wont ring if your holding the bell.

I had a 95 with the same noise issue, some times it would go away then come back. Any braking would silence it , and sometimes making a turn would shut it up for a moment. Replaced the rear wheel bearings and noise was permanently gone.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:36 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

It sounds to me that you have a bent axle. Since the squeak didn't go away with new brakes that is the only thing left. I had the exact same issue that you are describing on my first mustang. Whoever sold you the car either curbed their car or hit a huge pothole.

To check: Chock the front wheels. Put the rear axle on jack stands. (Or whole car on a lift if possible). Let the car idle with the wheels spinning. Look at the wheel, if it seems to 'wobble' while rotating then you have a bent axle.

OR just bring it to a shop and have them check.

Last edited by BrazenStang; 09-03-2014 at 08:52 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-03-2014, 04:08 PM
docsalas173rd

Originally Posted by dawson1112
Sir you have a bad wheel bearing.

The reason it goes away when brakes are applied is because the pressure from the brakes stops the resonance your hearing, just like a ringing bell wont ring if your holding the bell.

I had a 95 with the same noise issue, some times it would go away then come back. Any braking would silence it , and sometimes making a turn would shut it up for a moment. Replaced the rear wheel bearings and noise was permanently gone.
i really appreciate everyones insight, especially this one, cause just like you said when im turnin left or right the noise seems to silence as well. ill tell the guys at the shop to check out the wheel bearing and the axle. thanks
Old 09-03-2014, 04:10 PM
docsalas173rd

Originally Posted by potman
It's a tiny little mouse who has strapped itself to your tire in a failed suicide attempt. Every time the wheel revolves it smashes the little guy and makes him squeak.

[/smartass]

good one

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: brake noise while driving