Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Custom Brake Ducting '12 GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 03:08 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

Default Custom Brake Ducting '12 GT

So I decided to make custom brake ducting for my 2012 GT which only has the standard front bumper. Instead of buying the Boss/CS front bumper which costs $240 I decided to make my own setup for a lot less. I feel that my setup is more efficient than the boss/CS front bumper too.

The only parts and tools that I bought were brake ducts: $20 ea, epoxy: $3, sand paper $2, and a dremel kit: $60.

I bought brake ducts from summit.com

Link to the ducts

I test fitted the ducts on the front bumper prior to gluing to enure that there was no rubbing and that nothing was blocking the opening. As you can see the hose will easily fit around the washer fluid container.

I used the dremel to cut off the little lip that is around the opening on the front bumper to make it smooth for the ducts to be glued to. I used epoxy glue which is very strong and will not come off.

While I let that dry I cut out the fake vents on the front bumper. The Boss/CS bumper has a fog light hole so you don't have to cut it out but my hole will allow for more air to be pushed through the vents.

Once I had the vents cut out I used 600 grit sand paper to smooth off the cuts to give it a clean look.

With the glue dried and the holes cut I put the front bumper back together. I think that it looks very clean and professional with the fake vents cut out. I'm not an engineer but I feel that this setup will allow more air to be pushed through the ducts than a 3 inch hole on the front bumper like the boss/CS bumper.

For the rest of the kit I used the hose and brake backing plates from blowfishracing.com.

Link to their kit

Their kit costs only $190 and installs very easily. It connected to my brake ducts with no problem.

All in all it took about 5 hours total. 3ish hours to take off the bumper, trim the lip off of the bumper opening, and cut the fake vents off. About 15 mins to glue the ducts onto the bumper, and another 15 mins to re-install the bumper. About an hour and half to install the brake duct backing plates on both sides. So it is an easy weekend job, and leaves you with a unique kit that looks to be more effective than the alternative. I saved roughly $135 by making my kit than by buying the Boss/CS bumper. Some of that cost was in buying a dremel which will probably be used on future projects so that $60 could be added back in making my savings at $195. When you include the cost of the blowfishracing.com kit I saved $5 off of what it would cost to just buy the "correct" front bumper, then you would have to buy the ducting kit on top of that.

So I spent: Total: $296
To buy both kits: $430
Savings: +$134 (w/ dremel), or +$194 (w/o dremel)

Last edited by darksky1984; 09-02-2014 at 03:13 PM.