Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Tires Cut Up from Hitting Fender

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 03:35 PM
Brandonscarinfo

Default Tires Cut Up from Hitting Fender

I bought these rims and tires used.. late at night (1am) and didn't see this. I guess when he had them on his 01 cobra they rubbed and got cut pretty badly, even though he said he had light fender rubbing and had to roll his fenders...didn't see this that night, but it definitely isn't light... can I repair this? Fill them in or anything... I don't want to shell out 560 for new rear tires

Are these tires condemned for use? Or is it just cosmetic?

Old 09-07-2014, 10:23 PM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

That's a really mangled tire. I don't know of anyone who does this kind of repair. Some tire companies to retreading, but I don't know what the parameters are for used casings.

What size are they? I can't quite make them out. These were on a SN95? Offset looks way off. More like from a 67-73 offset than ours. Just looks so deep. It might be an optical illusion. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:28 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

The repair is to replace the tire. From the picture, it appears the tires are pretty worn anyway.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:50 AM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

I too was thinking the offset looks way off, how much of the wheel/tire is sticking out of the wheel well?
Old 09-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Brandonscarinfo

Originally Posted by akdoggie
That's a really mangled tire. I don't know of anyone who does this kind of repair. Some tire companies to retreading, but I don't know what the parameters are for used casings.

What size are they? I can't quite make them out. These were on a SN95? Offset looks way off. More like from a 67-73 offset than ours. Just looks so deep. It might be an optical illusion. Good luck.
The guy said they were on his 01 cobra and his fenders cut them up. He said these are a 22mm offset in the rear and 24mm offset in the front.

Originally Posted by AzPete
The repair is to replace the tire. From the picture, it appears the tires are pretty worn anyway.
Yeah, it was a tough pill to swallow...and these suckers are expensive...but I have 2 brand new 315/35/18 TOYO Proxes TQ's that are gonna be heat cycled as well on their way to me.... Now my biggest worry is the crowning effect that I just now learned about.

Originally Posted by waykooljr
I too was thinking the offset looks way off, how much of the wheel/tire is sticking out of the wheel well?
eh, the axle is off center currently... the left sticks out like 1.5" and the right like .5" ... so after centering they should each be out by about 1"
Old 09-08-2014, 02:04 PM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

Brandon, is the car lowered? Sounds like you need an adjustable rear pan bar to bring the axle back to center.

22/24 is way too shallow of an offset for the S197's. Stock is around a 40-44 offset. That is one reason the rims stick out so far and rub. Wrong rims for the Mustang.

The rim looks cracked right under the letter T in Toyo. Is that really there or an optical illusion?
Old 09-08-2014, 04:22 PM
Brandonscarinfo

Originally Posted by akdoggie
Brandon, is the car lowered? Sounds like you need an adjustable rear pan bar to bring the axle back to center.

22/24 is way too shallow of an offset for the S197's. Stock is around a 40-44 offset. That is one reason the rims stick out so far and rub. Wrong rims for the Mustang.

The rim looks cracked right under the letter T in Toyo. Is that really there or an optical illusion?

That is where the plastidip was starting to peel off... lol. Scared me for a moment there, had to go look at the pic.

I got the sn95 offset because I like the aggressive stance it gives the s197 personally.

I do not have a panhard bar anymore, it was removed in favor of a Fays2 Watts Link ...which was poorly installed by a shop, so now I need to find a place I can take it where they can adjust the watts link properly to center the axle...and hopefully not have it cost an arm and a leg...

EDIT: Yes, the car is lowered on steeda ultralites

Last edited by Brandonscarinfo; 09-09-2014 at 04:46 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:29 PM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

That isn't a SN95 offset. It is 93 and back. That is why they stick out so far and rub. You won't be able to put the bigger tires. You can check it here.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/wheel-tech-guide.html

Originally Posted by Brandonscarinfo
That is where the plastidip was starting to peel off... lol. Scared me for a moment there, had to go look at the pic.

I got the sn95 offset because I like the aggressive stance it gives the s197 personally.

I do not have a panhard bar anymore, it was removed in favor of a Fays2 Watts Link ...which was poorly installed by a shop, so now I need to find a place I can take it where they can adjust the watts link properly to center the axle...and hopefully not have it cost an arm and a leg...

EDIT: Yes, the car is lowered on steeda ultralites