Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Caster/Camber plates and Strut Mounts

Old 09-24-2014, 01:43 PM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

Default Caster/Camber plates and Strut Mounts

I have Tokico D Specs with Roush Springs and Caster/Camber plates. I picked up the clunking noise in the front end some time after these were installed. I recently installed GT500 lower control arms hoping they might help but it's still clunking, feels tighter but still clunks. After reading some reviews at AM, now I'm thinking that installing the GT500 strut mounts might be the fix.

What I'm curious about is if the caster/camber plates replaced the strut mounts or if the strut mounts are another part of the strut assembly. (?)

Thanks
Eddie
Old 09-24-2014, 03:11 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Make sure the upper strunt mount bolt is tight.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:21 PM
Cobra4me
2nd Gear Member

You don't use CC plates with the GT500 mounts. BTW have a 14 and I changed to the 05-09 Strange struts with gt500 mounts and took care of a similar problem for me
Old 09-24-2014, 04:35 PM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

I'll check the torque on the nuts.

I didn't install mine, so I've never seen what it looks like. I got the thought to look at some install instructions for some CC plates and the GT500 strut mounts. From what I can tell, the rubber spring isolator from the stock strut mount is used with the CC plates. So the CC plates do replace the mount.

That's got me wondering if the GT500 mounts would be worth buying for the isolators. The CC plates at AM state that they are for GT's and GT500's so I reckon the isolators would work with the CC plates that I have.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:07 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

What kinda clunk? Is it forwards and back when getting on and off the throttle or is it more of a popping noise when turning the wheel and/or cornering and/or hitting a bump?
Old 09-25-2014, 08:11 AM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

It's definitely in the front end when hitting bumps and sometimes when turning. If the road is particularly rough, it's constant, not loud mind you but just sounds like something is loose.

I tried putting a torque wrench on the strut mount nut but it just turns. I'm not sure if I can get a wrench on it, haven't tried yet but it doesn't look like I can. I've also checked the sway bar end links another time, they were good.

After installing the GT500 control arms, I had an alignment done. Everything was good except for the toe being off.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:08 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by waykooljr
It's definitely in the front end when hitting bumps and sometimes when turning. If the road is particularly rough, it's constant, not loud mind you but just sounds like something is loose.

I tried putting a torque wrench on the strut mount nut but it just turns. I'm not sure if I can get a wrench on it, haven't tried yet but it doesn't look like I can. I've also checked the sway bar end links another time, they were good.

After installing the GT500 control arms, I had an alignment done. Everything was good except for the toe being off.
Only pop I've had in the front was my end-links and the one time I forgot to tighten the shock bolt all the way.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:30 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Make sure the swaybar end links are REALLY tight.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:10 PM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

I have GT500 strut mounts and camber bolts on the way.

I'm going to pull the struts and check the camber plates to see if there's anything wrong with them. If they look ok, I might try to see if the GT500 isolators will work with them. Otherwise I'm going to install the new strut mounts and camber bolts.

I'll be sure to tighten the end links real good. Last time I checked them, I used a torque wrench at the specified torque and they were at spec without turning at all.

Thanks
Eddie
Old 10-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Make sure the swaybar end links are REALLY tight.
Check the torque specs on sway bar end links for 2010+. Ford increased the tq spec on those and the lower strut mounting bolts to address issues related to thunking and alignment shifting.

Also The 2010+ sway bar end links will work on an 05-09. The difference is a finer thread on the end links, finer thread on the nuts, fatter nut base on the strut link to make it easier to tighten the links to the new spec (85 or 86 ft/lbs I believe vs nearly half that from before). It will be hard to get the older style end links to tighten to 85 ft lbs since the nut on the base of the strut link is smaller.

The lower strut bolts went from 126 ft/lbs to 145 ft lbs. No change of the thread pitch on the bolts to my knowledge.

And use a TQ wrench (tight enough) may not be to spec considering the small space around the sway bar end links.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Caster/Camber plates and Strut Mounts