Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

American Muscle's wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:27 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Default American Muscle's wheels...

So I bought a wheel and tire set from AM about a month ago.
I got Saleen 18x10's in silver front and rear with a 275/40 NT555 mounted. I love the fat look and the wheels look great.

HOWEVER

I've had 4 wheels replaced so far due to them being bent. Not by me mind you, I put them on, drive it, have a tire shop check the balance and I still feel the shake. When I ask them to spin them to see if they're bent, they find one (or this last time two) that are bent.

I just replaced 2 last week and after driving it for awhile (I do this because I'm paranoid now so I wait to see how it feels) I feel another one. So, provided I'm right and that another is bent, that will be five wheels I'm replacing. I'm beginng to wonder how often tires can be mounted and dismounted reliably.

Now I want to be clear here, AM has been nothing but helpful and easy to work with. I show them the invoices and they send me wheels, free shipping and all. They have never given me an issue with that, so don't take this as me venting at their service.

When I look at the inside of the wheels, they're stamped American Muscle. Since Saleen no longer offers these wheels, I assume that AM has the licsense to use them and is having them made.

Has anyone had issues with wheels from AM like this? Consistently bent wheels? What do you guys think?
Old 10-21-2014, 07:52 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Sorry for your troubles....I've actually ordered (2) sets of rims from AmericanMuscle this year, and had no issues what so ever! Both sets balanced out perfectly.

I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them....and I recommend them to everyone in my club.

Good luck!
Old 10-21-2014, 09:31 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JFitz
So I bought a wheel and tire set from AM about a month ago.
I got Saleen 18x10's in silver front and rear with a 275/40 NT555 mounted. I love the fat look and the wheels look great.

HOWEVER

I've had 4 wheels replaced so far due to them being bent. Not by me mind you, I put them on, drive it, have a tire shop check the balance and I still feel the shake. When I ask them to spin them to see if they're bent, they find one (or this last time two) that are bent.

I just replaced 2 last week and after driving it for awhile (I do this because I'm paranoid now so I wait to see how it feels) I feel another one. So, provided I'm right and that another is bent, that will be five wheels I'm replacing. I'm beginng to wonder how often tires can be mounted and dismounted reliably.

Now I want to be clear here, AM has been nothing but helpful and easy to work with. I show them the invoices and they send me wheels, free shipping and all. They have never given me an issue with that, so don't take this as me venting at their service.

When I look at the inside of the wheels, they're stamped American Muscle. Since Saleen no longer offers these wheels, I assume that AM has the licsense to use them and is having them made.

Has anyone had issues with wheels from AM like this? Consistently bent wheels? What do you guys think?
JFitz-Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having! This sounds highly irregular and I'd like to get our inventory pulled offline to be inspected! Can you shoot me a PM with your last order number so I can take a look into this for you?

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
Sorry for your troubles....I've actually ordered (2) sets of rims from AmericanMuscle this year, and had no issues what so ever! Both sets balanced out perfectly.

I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them....and I recommend them to everyone in my club.

Good luck!
Loving the F14's on your Boss, they look sick! Thanks for the kind comments as well, we really appreciate it!

Alex
Old 10-21-2014, 12:39 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

PM sent Alex.

Yeah let me know what's going on. I appreciate the contact!
Old 10-21-2014, 02:06 PM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JFitz
PM sent Alex.

Yeah let me know what's going on. I appreciate the contact!
Replied! I'm here to help!

Alex
Old 10-22-2014, 09:01 AM
S stang
1st Gear Member

Jfitz, I would like to put on 10" wheels and 285-30-18 tires on my 06 gt also, do you have any rubbing with the front tires? My car is lowed 1-1/2" thanks
Old 10-22-2014, 10:18 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by S stang
Jfitz, I would like to put on 10" wheels and 285-30-18 tires on my 06 gt also, do you have any rubbing with the front tires? My car is lowed 1-1/2" thanks

I use this calculator to determine size. ET is your offset.

I don't rub but when I lower I may rub a bit at full lock. Acceptable to me. I wanted to do 285 but 275 looks pretty good to me.

Depending on your offset on the wheels, you may want to use some 5mm spacers for extra clearance when the suspension compresses. Read up on stuff like this over at Stanceworks, they do this stuff alot more than the guys on this forum.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:19 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Why such a low profile tire? 30?
I run 285/40/18 on 18x10, lowered on Steeda ultralites, no rubbing
Old 10-23-2014, 08:20 AM
S stang
1st Gear Member

We autox ,so we want low center of gravity on the car to help with handling and other things .when not autox our street size is 255/40/18.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:43 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

I daily mine and aside from issues that Alex is helping with, I'm very happy with my decision.

Quick Reply: American Muscle's wheels...