Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension Project for DD/Autocross

Old 12-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Robertatl123

Thanks again for all of your help Sam!

Are there any other helpful pointers you might be able to give me before I start the work? This is the first time I've worked on this car so any nuances that would not be in any manual would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Robertatl123
Thanks again for all of your help Sam!

Are there any other helpful pointers you might be able to give me before I start the work? This is the first time I've worked on this car so any nuances that would not be in any manual would be greatly appreciated.
Um, sure.. if you want to call me I'm sure I can find something to tell you.... But it's not something I'd want to do in type (not a good way to discuss detail).
Old 12-06-2014, 02:12 PM
Robertatl123

No worries. I'm just getting my final supply list ready and wanted to know if there might be anything else that I might need to get (ex. specialty tools) that would get me out of a bind or make my life easier. Anyway, I will reach out to you if I get into a bind.

Regards,

Robert
Old 12-07-2014, 10:29 AM
chrumck
2nd Gear Member

No worries. I'm just getting my final supply list ready and wanted to know if there might be anything else that I might need to get (ex. specialty tools) that would get me out of a bind or make my life easier. Anyway, I will reach out to you if I get into a bind.

Regards,

Robert
I'd say the factory shop manual (not Haynes or something like that ) and a torque wrench is a good start. Actually, I would get two torque wrenches. 3/8 one starting at 15-20 ftlbs and 1/2 ending at 200-250
Old 12-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Robertatl123

I'm going to be replacing my old 1/2 torque wrench as my current one (it's cheap) is out of calibration. I've already got a 3/8 in the range that you recommended.

I'm going to try out a 1 month online subscription to the Helms site ($20.00). I will let you all know how that works.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Blue Loctite. A decent set of spring compressors. A nice battery powered impact is handy to have. I've had a lot of them and silly as it might sound my favorite is the Craftsman C3 1/2" drive unit.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:32 PM
RWHEELS
1st Gear Member

Robert123, are you competing in the Atlanta area autocross? If so did you compete last yr? I competed in grey 2011 gt, just wondering if I might have seen you. I agree STU is a tough class for a mustang in Atlanta, those sti's are hard to catch!
Old 12-17-2014, 11:46 AM
Robertatl123

RWheels, You probably have seen me. I've been competing in Atlanta for years now. I ran in FS in my black 14 gt last year, but have been planning, and saving, for the upgrades all year. I remember seeing your car last year, and we probably spoke since I was trying to figure out what to do with my car.

It will be interesting on how well I do versus you and some of the other street tire Mustangs. I noticed most (if not all) of the STU cars were running on 255's and panhard bars, and I will be going with 285's and a watt's link. In theory, I should be faster, but probably not fast enough to beat an STI.

See you on the course,

Robert
Old 12-17-2014, 06:48 PM
RWHEELS
1st Gear Member

RWheels, You probably have seen me. I've been competing in Atlanta for years now. I ran in FS in my black 14 gt last year, but have been planning, and saving, for the upgrades all year. I remember seeing your car last year, and we probably spoke since I was trying to figure out what to do with my car.

It will be interesting on how well I do versus you and some of the other street tire Mustangs. I noticed most (if not all) of the STU cars were running on 255's and panhard bars, and I will be going with 285's and a watt's link. In theory, I should be faster, but probably not fast enough to beat an STI.

See you on the course,

Robert
yeah I remember talking to you at ams I think. I'm curious to see how you do, I'm considering going to a watts next yr too. If you need any help with the upgrades, let me know, I did all of the suspension and brake mods myself last yr and learned a few things,

Rob
Old 12-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Robertatl123

Thank for the offer Rob, but I was able to get it done at a friends house this weekend.

The car has dramatically changed and is much more responsive. I hear some noise coming from the Watt's Link, but I'm not sure if it is just the end links clunking or something else. I will be taking it in for an alignment tomorrow and will ask the guys there if I can look at it while the car is on the lift.

I will send out a short series of posts later on with the problem I encountered. I attempted to do it tonight, but I got timed out and lost the post.

Regards,

Robert

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension Project for DD/Autocross