Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Help My confusion Hopefully

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 10:50 AM
Valkdriver

Default Help My confusion Hopefully

I have a quandry that hopefully more experienced members can help me clarify. I read carefully and weighed my options as far as lowering and replacing suspension parts on my 2014GT. I purchased Koni Yellows, Steeda Ultralights, J&M Caster/Camber Plates, & New Ford Spring Isolators for the front struts. I assembled the struts as per all the good info here on the forum and "walla" it worked. My Mustang handled and drove great. The normal handling complaints that everyone generally relates were essentially gone and I was really happy. I noticed that my rear axle was moved over to the left so I ordered a BMR adjustable panhard bar and brace and installed them. I drove around a couple of weeks with no pops, squeaks, rattles, etc....nothing.
My question....Last Friday I went to an alignment shop in Houston that I researched and seemed to be the right choice for what I needed. The car was indeed considerably out of alignment and the technician got it right in spec no problem. He complemented my suspension install and told me the caster/camber plates were right on and made his job very easy. I drove home uneventfully and did not drive the car again until Monday morning...Now I have all sorts of creaking (car is still and turning the wheels) like an old ship. When I back out of my driveway and cut hard into the street I get pop...pop...pop.....pop...pop. Sounds like a popcorn popper. Oddly enough you really can't hear anything outside the car. It seems to drive fine just has the low speed popping and creaking. The question is...what's the cause? I read about loose swaybar end links. I used new spring islolators (bought from local Ford dealer) which promptly split. I torqued everything when I reassembled. I'm looking for some direction about what to do next. Do I need to remove the struts and replace the isolators? I will check the end links for tight but can't do it until the weekend. Why did it come after alignment? Is the suspension loaded differently now? I also checked the strut stem nuts holding to the plates. They seem to be as tight as I can get them. Any advice or direction would be really appreciated!
Thanks!
Old 11-17-2014, 12:32 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

Your alignment shop could have over torqued your camber plates and bent something in the process. I had this happen when I took my car in to get adjusted. They bent a bracket and it wasn't until later that I noticed it and had to replace it. The bracket didn't make any noise but it did alter my ride height by 1/2 inch on one side. Maybe you should check out your parts to see if anything was damaged during the alignment, or if something came loose. Your rubber parts could be bad but since your car is so new I doubt that any part on the strut mount or camber plate are bad.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:39 PM
Valkdriver

Originally Posted by darksky1984
Your alignment shop could have over torqued your camber plates and bent something in the process. I had this happen when I took my car in to get adjusted. They bent a bracket and it wasn't until later that I noticed it and had to replace it. The bracket didn't make any noise but it did alter my ride height by 1/2 inch on one side. Maybe you should check out your parts to see if anything was damaged during the alignment, or if something came loose. Your rubber parts could be bad but since your car is so new I doubt that any part on the strut mount or camber plate are bad.
Thanks! Actually thought of that. The tech seemed to know what he was doing. I could see his computer display and see the results of his adjustments. He pulled things right into spec it appeared to me. I was somewhat annoyed he didn't tighten everything up with a torque wrench but I have to give him credit. When I got home and checked his tension he had put it right on the money. Plate mounts are spec'd at 20 ft/lbs and caster bolt at 26 ft/lbs and he was right on it with a box end wrench. He did use a big screwdriver to move the plates around but I can't imagine him damaging anything by doing it. J&M called me Monday and acted like they had never heard of any such thing. They thought it was "tire friction". Hmmm. You can clearly see the spherical bearing popping and hopping when you turn the wheels with the hood open looking do into the strut tower.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:50 PM
jRaskell
2nd Gear Member

You can clearly see the spherical bearing popping and hopping when you turn the wheels with the hood open looking do into the strut tower.
A good video of that would be interesting to see.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:33 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

It sounds like you found your problem. If you re-used your lower spring mounts for the J&M kit, not sure if it uses them, then you could have also lost a couple ball bearings that can cause noise. But if your spherical bearing is popping, it is probably your plates that are bad. Maybe send them in under warranty for a new set.