Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Strange Tire Wear

Old 11-20-2014, 03:29 PM
Karterfred88

Default Strange Tire Wear

I got tired of the noise inside my 2013 GT which has gotten worse in the last 5000 miles. Took it to the selling dealer, "what noise we don't hear anything, it's probably just your tires". After making a series of interior sound samplings, I was sure it was the left rear wheel bearing, they said no. After examining my tires I have found that both rear tires have worn strangely. I'm over 65, have owned and driven at least 15 new cars for over 100,000 miles each and have never seen this tire pattern on a rear drive car. Let me be honest and tell you they have not been, nor will they be rotated. That simply wears out 4 tires at once. From the looks of it I would say the car had a severe FRONT END problem. Of course the are attached to a solid rear axle. They are the Pirelli P Zero Nero 245/45/19s that come with the 19" wheel package. The car now has a total of 18,750 miles--none hard and I'm going to replace both the rear tires at $240.00 each for tires should last at least 45,000 miles. I'd blame Ford if it were the fronts, they are only feathering slightly, but can not explain this wear to the rears except by poor tire construction.
Attached Thumbnails Strange Tire Wear-img_0516.jpg   Strange Tire Wear-img_0517.jpg  
Old 11-20-2014, 03:47 PM
Karterfred88

need to move this thread to TECH no permission to edit.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:34 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

I saw your other thread from last year about no straight line stability ..... but you never posted a follow up? Was that resolved?

In the pics above, I'm not seeing the abnormal rear tire wear .... though I'm sure it's there to the naked eye ..... just not able to see it in the pics.

What I'm getting to is in view of no resolution to the prior thread and now this ..... is maybe .... any of the wear you are seeing as abnormal possibly due to a bent rear axle housing? Be easy to check for toe on the rear axle.

Back in the early '70s a buddy had a new 71 GTO that acted strange and it turned out that it's rear axle housing was tweaked .... I forget if it was excessive toe "in" or "out" .... but it wasn't straight enough. Pontiac rear, like Ford 8.8 the tubes were pressed in and retained with big plug welds. Pontiac replaced his whole rear.

Just a thought.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Karterfred88

Its hard to see in the photos, I know. The inner tread band is worn 2-3/32 more than the rest and the row between the shoulder tread and the center tread is feathered/cupped on the left side rear. on the otherside the "treaded bars" on either side of the center tread are feathered and no cupping. If on the front I would say the strutts were shot. Since it's getting new rears, I'll see if the tire shop can throw some gages on the rear end to see if there is unusual caster-camber-toe at the wheels. The original erratic bump steer seemed to diminish as the bushings loosened up, and I switched the "feel" of the steering to "sport"--much firmer and seemed to find on-center better than the "normal" setting.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I've been told by the dealer that mustangs 05-10 have a rear toe adjustment. I would assume it's the same for the 11+

I personally don't see how that works on a SRA but that's just what they told me. Most alignment shops give you a print out of before and after specs for alignment. What did your last printout look like?
Old 11-22-2014, 02:42 PM
Karterfred88

Well replaced both rear Pirellis and got an alignment print out including the axle housing toe and camber. The Thrust alignment is out a little, but the housing seems real close. Drove home with the new tires and the loud whine remains, despite changing the tires. Now I will get out the "Chassis Ears" and see which bearing is bad!! Will record and amplify the noise for the hearing impaired dealer technicians, and see if I can create a graphic to show the peak noise points as the tires rotate. Can't continue to drive it with this noise, so if I can't locate and get it fixed, off to trade-in land it goes. And no I won't be replacing it with another newer Mustang. After seeing the total surface rust on the rear housing and the already rusting exhaust system, it's obvious that I won't bee able to keep up with the repair bills on this after the "warranty" is gone--or maybe it is gone already as "what noise" isn't covered.

Last edited by Karterfred88; 11-22-2014 at 02:54 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 11-22-2014, 10:24 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by Karterfred88
. After seeing the total surface rust on the rear housing and the already rusting exhaust system, it's obvious that I won't bee able to keep up with the repair bills on this after the "warranty" is gone--
That surface rust isn't a problem - they have that when they come off the truck. It actually is supposed to be a protective coating and doesn't rust through, covers the surface only. Although it does look bad and I painted my last Mustang rear end; haven't gotten around to it yet on the 2013. It isn't going to be anything that requires a repair in the future.

The noise though, I have chased that before too on rear ends. That is a different matter.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:45 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Well replaced both rear Pirellis and got an alignment print out including the axle housing toe and camber. The Thrust alignment is out a little, but the housing seems real close.
Can you post the readings?

Norm
Old 11-24-2014, 03:08 PM
Karterfred88

It seems I don't have permission to post attachments.
Readings as follows:
Left Front cross camber/caster/total toe Right Front
Camber -0.7 degrees 0.0 degrees -0.7 degrees
Caster 6.9 0.0 6.9
Toe 0.04 0.06 0.03
Left Rear Right Rear
Camber -0.1 degrees 0.0 degrees
Toe -0.09 degrees total toe 0.05 0.14 degrees
Thrust Angle -0.11 degrees
all check with OEM range Front toe at edge of specs
Old 11-24-2014, 03:34 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Let me be honest and tell you they have not been, nor will they be rotated. That simply wears out 4 tires at once.
Really? This made me laugh. Tire rotations are intended to evenly wear all 4 tires... but I'm sure that every tire manufacturer and salesperson is just trying to pull the wool over our eyes, HAHA. But I digress....

Have you been under the car? Off-hand I am thinking that the strange wear pattern and noise could just be caused by something rubbing on that portion of the tire. There are these dinky little plastic "mud flaps", if you can call them that, mounted to the trim on the bottom of the car in front of the tires. Or there is the e-brake cables that could be rubbing. These all might sound dumb as hell, but it could be something that simple? It could also explain the noise. Especially since your rear alignment #'s are OK. Also, is the uneven wear pattern the same all of the way around the tire, or just in one area or section of the entire tire? Reason I ask is if it is equal all the way around, then it is not likely a bearing or axle misalignment. If it is only in one portion of the entire diameter then you might have runout that is causing the uneven wear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange Tire Wear