Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Worth spending the money on an upper arm and/or mount?

Old 12-11-2014, 11:59 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Looking at it the other night, I don't see how you could get that mount out without at least dropping the tank a few inches, unless you're some kind of magician. Space is tight in that area as it is and the bolt is recessed back in a bit and above the tank right smack in the middle.

So if I'm in there doing an upper arm would it also be worth the effort to install a poly bushing in the axle end? I heard that's a royal pain so I probably won't want to unless it makes a big difference.

Last edited by ghunt; 12-11-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:00 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ghunt
Looking at it the other night, I don't see how you could get that mount out without at least dropping the tank a few inches, unless you're some kind of magician. Space is tight in that area as it is and the bolt is recessed back in a bit and above the tank right smack in the middle.

So if I'm in there doing an upper arm would it also be worth the effort to install a poly bushing in the axle end? I heard that's a royal pain so I probably won't want to unless it makes a big difference.
My humble opinion- I wouldn't replace the axle bushing unless you're going spherical:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-8...shings-05.html
Old 12-18-2014, 10:42 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I found that out after some reading the other night. I'll just leave it alone for now.

I did end up finding a really good deal on a J&M mount and non-adjustable upper...I don't figure I really need the adjustable upper right now and they're expensive. I'll swap it out later if I really need one.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:54 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Having just installed my UCA, I wouldn't bother with changing the axle bushing. It will make enough of a difference with the stock rubber there that you will be happy. However, I would spend the money to buy an adjustable UCA. Do it once with an adjustable arm and you will be much happier. It does make a big difference to be able to adjust the pinion angle. The car rides smoother and it actually makes it easier to get the thing bolted into the car. I had to adjust mine to be smaller so that I could get the bolt holes lined up. I'm guessing that it shifted when I removed the stock bracket. Then I was able to dial in the suspension after the install.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:24 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Well, I guess I'll decide and I could always sell the non-adjustable one later, it will be awhile before I get around to installing it. Best price I've seen on an adjustable upper is the Lakewood one for $100, just wasn't sure about spending that much right now.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:24 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

UCA installation is tedious. I wouldn't install one "just for now" and replace it with another one later. But I'm lazy like that.