Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Whiteline Watts Link Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 08:42 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WindyMustang
Sooooooo...I've been reading about these and this thread just adds to the good press. What would the advantage be here if I'm happy with the Factory Performance Package shocks, springs, and ride height? Also, what's the affect on axle tramp (wheel hop) on a hard launch from a dead stop? Right now, the engine mods are working pretty well, but the suspension isn't quite getting 'er done...
A Watts link isn't going to provide much help in resisting wheel hop. If it could, it'd probably bind up rather badly during normal suspension movement.

Norm
Old 12-10-2014, 12:49 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Scott2
Sam, what unit do your prefer?
I don't want to clutter up the thread and derail the OP's review. Happy to talk to you about the options and the pro's/con's of each if you like. Best by phone for there are many little details that are a pain to try and explain in type. I'll ping you with a PM and we can discuss it without messing up this thread.

Sam
Old 12-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

A Watts link is a lateral locating device, nothing else. It's not going to help a wheelhop issue on launch, etc. It will make the back of the car a lot more planted over bumps and more stable when tossing the car around.

Those with greater roll center adjustment gives you a lot more tuning options in terms of balance and response. As you change the roll center you change the effective leverage acting on the springs and swaybars and dynamic changes to feel and balance result. A Watts with little to no adjustment like the one discussed here lowers the RC some, but you kind of get what you get without the option to move it (well you can move it between two positions that are very, very close to each other).
Old 12-17-2014, 09:31 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
A Watts link isn't going to provide much help in resisting wheel hop. If it could, it'd probably bind up rather badly during normal suspension movement.

Norm
That's kinda what I thought, but always better to ask. Thanks for the input!
Old 12-17-2014, 09:33 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
A Watts link is a lateral locating device, nothing else. It's not going to help a wheelhop issue on launch, etc. It will make the back of the car a lot more planted over bumps and more stable when tossing the car around.

Those with greater roll center adjustment gives you a lot more tuning options in terms of balance and response. As you change the roll center you change the effective leverage acting on the springs and swaybars and dynamic changes to feel and balance result. A Watts with little to no adjustment like the one discussed here lowers the RC some, but you kind of get what you get without the option to move it (well you can move it between two positions that are very, very close to each other).
Thanks also Sam! I've already bookmarked your site for the next project...
Old 12-23-2014, 07:41 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

For me, the logic was that since my Techco Watts Link unit was designed to be at proper roll center with a 1" spring drop from stock, and that's all the drop I'm ever going to be interested in, it seemed logical.
I'm assuming the Whiteline unit has the top adjustment setting balanced for a 1" drop and the next adjustment for a 1.5" drop. For the average street driver, this seems to cover the range that standard linear rate springs would drop the car. Seems logical, Erik
Old 12-23-2014, 11:40 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by eolson
For me, the logic was that since my Techco Watts Link unit was designed to be at proper roll center with a 1" spring drop from stock, and that's all the drop I'm ever going to be interested in, it seemed logical.
I have to wonder what their logic was in establishing wherever that roll center location is, and what assumptions they were making for things like spring rates, bar rates, LCA relo brackets, and axle steer.

I'm not trying to say they were wrong or right, just that I haven't seen enough information to base an independent opinion on, and advertising claims by themselves aren't enough.

Norm