Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Whiteline Watts Link Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 02:56 PM
magnido45
2nd Gear Member

Default Whiteline Watts Link Review

I have had the Whiteline Watts Link on my 2011 for 2 weeks now. Upon research, owners were saying that "the rear absorbs bumps now rather than reacting to them" and "rear feels like it's finally tied to the front suspension as one working unit"...All true, folks!!!

I've spent a lot of money on a full suspension overhaul to improve the handling of the Stang, but was never satisfied with how the rear handled bumpy roads.

For example, I daily drive home from work on a long, stretch of bumpy, windy road (posted speed limit 65mph). I always had to hold on to the steering wheel really tight in order to control the car's rear end from bouncing all over the place on this specific commute. I upgraded to Swift springs on my coilovers, and that improved some. I also tried firming up the rear coilovers and that also tamed the "rocking boat feel" a bit, but you can only go so firm until you enter stiff territory and every bump feels like a jolt. Regardless, I knew it was time to swap out the aftermarket panhard bar/brace combo for a Watts Link because it WAS the weak link in the entire suspension.

Enter the Whiteline Watts Link...talk about super quiet, super road control!!! I can now attack this stretch of road at max speed w/out white knuckling the steering wheel. What a joy to drive with confidence!!! The car absorbs all bumps with out the rear "twerking"...lol. Even on corners, I find myself adding a little more gas to the pedal and the car remains flat and in control. Just point and shoot!!!

If you have the funds...get a Watts Link first over some cosmetic upgrade for your car...it's totally worth every penny. It is the perfect and only solution for that wild, rear end. Oh, and does it behave like an IRS? Yes. No more side to side...just up and down...lol.

Props to Hillbank Motorsports in Irvine, CA for the correct adjustments to dial in the Whiteline Watts Link...I made the mistake of having the Watts installed somewhere else and there were a few issues...so took it to Michael and Ashton for the expert fix.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:46 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Hey magnido45, I couldn't agree more. I had the original phase 1 Saleen Watts Link on my 06', which was a big improvement over my Steeda pan hard bar and brace. Then it turned out that the support arms were too short by about an inch with that design, and Saleen improved the design for the phase 2 Saleen model. After reading that the short lived company Techco made a better version of the phase 2 Saleen Watts Link, I bought the Techco Watts Link when they were closing down in 2009 for a couple hundred bucks on close out.

The Techco model has a stronger center bolt than the Saleens ever did and a more quite rotating design. The roll center is fixed and designed for a 1" spring drop, and truly removes any lateral movement over curve bumps and dips in hard turns. It also promotes a much better feel of the rear end sticking to the ground and balance with the front end as you mentioned.

Currently, the Whiteline Watts version is the only choice for the street and it's very nice because it is adjustable, and is also designed for the true roll center of the car going through the differential cover as the Techco unit.

I have Zero complaints about my Techco Watts Link unit after 5 years of hard driving here in the pot hole land of the Detroit area of Michigan. My 06' Mustang GT is just as movement stable in hard turn bumps as my IRS suspension Acura RL, and the Mustang can of course corner a lot harder and faster then my Acura. Race shops often try to be critical of these "through the differential" designs, but for hard fast driving the street with linear rate springs and adjustable shocks( non coil over type set up), the unit gives plenty of lateral support with the support bar spanning the width of the car.

Other than changing out the initial Springs, Shocks and Sway Bars in my Mustang, the Watts Link has easily been the most profound improvement with my suspension from the stock suspension it came with, of all the many additional suspension and chassis stiffening improvements I've had replaced and or added onto my car.

In my opinion, the two elements that the Boss LS lacks, and that Ford has never admitted would improve the S197's handling at any level is a true roll center correct Watts Link. Randy Pobst clearly stated with his direct comparison drive of the Boss LS against the Camaro ZL1, that the Mustang was fantastic other than in the really fast hard corners with dips, bumps, and the curb bumps on the track corners, Pobst said the Mustang inspired a lack of confidence to push the car harder because of unpredictable rear end behavior and suspension input in those hard fast curve conditions. These are the exact conditions all of us know that our Watts Links greatly improve. The Boss LS also lacks Ford's support on having specific wider rubber fit to the proper offset wheels, to maximize the S197's widest possible fitting tires, which is the other reason the Boss LS could not match the ZL1 in hard corners. Erik

Last edited by eolson; 12-08-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:18 AM
magnido45
2nd Gear Member

Hi Erik...thanks for chiming in...thanks for providing some good support info...yeah, saw the test drive youtube vid by Randy Pobst...now I know what he was talking about..cheers!
Old 12-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I've been telling folks for years now that a Watts link makes a big difference vs. a PHB. But there are those that still deny it... those that haven't tried.

I carry the Whiteline as well as a couple of others. Which you pick is somewhat personal choice. I've run a number of them, and while I prefer another unit myself, almost any watts link is superior to a PHB in general.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:15 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Sam, your input over the years has been very helpful in putting things in context and clarifying priorities in general. Erik
Old 12-09-2014, 04:20 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Thank you. I try.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:23 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I think the Watts Link is like the supercharger for the suspension. There's a lot of other things you can do to make more horsepower, but at the end of the day the supercharger is the best bang for the buck. There's a lot of things you can do to your suspension, but at the end of the day, the Watts Link really takes the cake. I love mine and would absolutely stand by it no matter what.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:06 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Sooooooo...I've been reading about these and this thread just adds to the good press. What would the advantage be here if I'm happy with the Factory Performance Package shocks, springs, and ride height? Also, what's the affect on axle tramp (wheel hop) on a hard launch from a dead stop? Right now, the engine mods are working pretty well, but the suspension isn't quite getting 'er done...
Old 12-10-2014, 06:56 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Default 2014 DIB 3.7 w/ sport shift "Blue Cyclone"

1st get wider rims and tires, that will help a little. Don't be a thread jacker, am I too like the watts link. Thanks for the review!
Attached Thumbnails Whiteline Watts Link Review-tn_helicopter-and-mustang-011.jpg  
Old 12-10-2014, 06:58 AM
Scott2
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I've been telling folks for years now that a Watts link makes a big difference vs. a PHB. But there are those that still deny it... those that haven't tried.

I carry the Whiteline as well as a couple of others. Which you pick is somewhat personal choice. I've run a number of them, and while I prefer another unit myself, almost any watts link is superior to a PHB in general.
Sam, what unit do your prefer?

Quick Reply: Whiteline Watts Link Review