Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

How many track days should we get from a set of shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 10:21 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Mine had a heavy clunking in the front left side, changed end links and no change then realized the top strut nut wasn't tight enough. Check that first.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:12 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Yeah, I'm curious about what the OP is thinking is "blown out". A clunk isn't always the strut, in fact it usually isn't. But changing a strut means taking things off and putting them on (and retightening them), which might solve the issue of things like loose links, or a loose top nut, etc. for a while.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:09 PM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

if you replaced your struts and are using stock strut mounts, you may have lost some of the ball bearings. This can cause a nasty clunking
Old 02-20-2015, 11:42 PM
fasterplease
1st Gear Member

Lots of good suggestions. I have J&M strut mounts on the koni yellow struts. Based upon the suggestions, I'm a bit confused...probably not the struts. Could be end links, could be strut mounts.

The newest component are the strano sway bars. Likely I didn't get the links sufficiently torqued although the sound didn't start immediately. There is also a similar noise in the right rear (less often) since the sway bar change. Can't tell if the sound is at the ends or the linkages inboard.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:24 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fasterplease
Lots of good suggestions. I have J&M strut mounts on the koni yellow struts. Based upon the suggestions, I'm a bit confused...probably not the struts. Could be end links, could be strut mounts.

The newest component are the strano sway bars. Likely I didn't get the links sufficiently torqued although the sound didn't start immediately. There is also a similar noise in the right rear (less often) since the sway bar change. Can't tell if the sound is at the ends or the linkages inboard.
I have the J&M strut mounts and Koni yellows as well. When I first installed them I thought they were torqued enough but when I took it for a spin they clunked horribly. They weren't torqued enough it seems. If I recall correctly (it's been a couple years since I put them on) you have to remove the stock isolator and put them it on the J&M camber plate (I don't think that's relevant, just making sure I remember correctly). After tightening them down the clunk was gone. I haven't upgraded my sway bars yet so I can't definitively say if it's your end links or sway bars, but I've seen enough threads where clunking is caused by loose end links to suggest that.

Good luck and let us know if anything helps, sorry for the ramble
Old 02-21-2015, 06:41 PM
fasterplease
1st Gear Member

So, the thunk, thock still happens when I change direction rapidly or drive over a bump or dip at slow speeds (haven't changed anything yet but did check that everything is tight on strut mounts and basically everywhere). I did an awesome track day and Fontana speedway today and besides the noise the car felt great! 2:04 on Bridgestone S04's and my entire power side is returned to 100% stock. It is so much fun!!!

One thing I noticed about the noise is it almost sounds like something bound pops/thocks when it pops free. Makes me think the joint on the sway bar is getting bound up. So, I'm ordering some end links. Will keep you posted.

Next will be the squeaky clutch.