Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Front control arms

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 10:14 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Default Front control arms

Hi,

I took the car in for alignment and noticed the hydra bushings were starting to crack, I'm guessing the ball joint and front bushing won't be far behind. Rather than deal with replacing the bushings and ball joint I've thought about buying the Ford Racing control arms:

http://www.summitracing.com/int/part.../model/mustang

So I have a few questions,

Considering I track the car, is it worth getting the GT500 ones over the stock GT arms?

Would they need any additional modifications to fit?

Do they correct geometry for lowered cars?

Am I better off buying bushings and ball joints and pressing them into the stock arms and if so, which bushings and ball joint should I get?

Sorry for all the questions but for some reason most of the information out there seems to relate to the rear suspension, seems like people forget it's the front wheels that turn.

Last edited by flash_xx; 02-18-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:47 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by flash_xx
Hi,

I took the car in for alignment and noticed the hydra bushings were starting to crack, I'm guessing the ball joint and front bushing won't be far behind. Rather than deal with replacing the bushings and ball joint I've thought about buying the Ford Racing control arms:

http://www.summitracing.com/int/part.../model/mustang

So I have a few questions,

Considering I track the car, is it worth getting the GT500 ones over the stock GT arms?

Would they need any additional modifications to fit?

Do they correct geometry for lowered cars?

Am I better off buying bushings and ball joints and pressing them into the stock arms and if so, which bushings and ball joint should I get?

Sorry for all the questions but for some reason most of the information out there seems to relate to the rear suspension, seems like people forget it's the front wheels that turn.
Yes-higher durometer rubber, depending on your yr of mustang maybe even a larger ball joint.

No - direct bolt on

No - no but will work for up to a 1" drop. Beyond that you may need a bump-steer kit and/or different control arm (adjustable) or swap the just the ball joints.

No - no it's a hassle on these cars. You have to take the control arms off the car anyways, save the time and hassle and just get the complete arms to swap. Besides choices are limited for control arm parts for that reason. Although I think steeda has just ball joints that can be used for lowered cars.....

Yep, here it is. Just swap the ball joints on the new arms with these.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...FQdffgodeGEA_g

Last edited by Derf00; 02-18-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:33 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Thanks, I think I'll go with the GT500 arms. I really don't feel like dealing with bushings after doing the upper rear axle housing one.