Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Camber plates or bolts Help?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 06:52 PM
AlloyDemon

Default Camber plates or bolts Help?!

So I am looking into lowering my 07 V6 and I have hit a snag. I plan on using H&R Super Sport springs to lower it but I don't know whether I should get caster camber plates or just camber bolts. I would like to just use the bolts if I can cus they're a heck of a lot cheaper but am willing to go plates if need be. Any input is appreciated!
Old 03-27-2015, 07:20 PM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

I lowered about 1 in in the front and I just installed the upper strut mount 180 deg with the half moon inside rather than out.

I was in spec aside from toe when I got it aligned. Not sure how low you're going, but I didn't need bolts or plates.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:31 PM
AlloyDemon

Well the H&R springs lower it about 1.7 in the front and about 1.9 in the back. So it's about a 2 in. drop all the way around
Old 03-28-2015, 06:47 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Use either Ford's own camber bolts or camber plates. Ford's bolts are full size, full strength, and require slight modification to some of the holes in the struts that these bolts pass through. I won't recommend any other solution here.

Norm
Old 03-30-2015, 09:25 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

I have run both setups. Both of them require you to talk the alignment tech at your local alignment shop while they are adjusting them, this is unless you take it to a specialty shop. Camber bolts are the "easy" way to do it, but if you plan on running wider wheels and tires than stock you might run into rubbing issues sooner than if you ran camber plates. I went to camber plates after a year of running the camber bolts because I wanted more negative camber and the security that the stock strut bolts wouldn't break under pressure, unlike the smaller camber bolts. However, if you don't plan on really racing your car then camber bolts are the economical way to go. But if you want to do it right I would buy a good set of camber plates and be done with it. There are many companies that aren't too expensive and are of good quality. I'm running the maximum motorsports set. It isn't the easiest set to install by yourself since it isn't a single unit, but if you have someone helping it shouldn't be too bad.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:55 PM
AlloyDemon

Hey thanks everyone for your input. I think I have decided to go with the camber plates. They just seem like in the end they will work out better. I also plan on starting to race my car a little bit because hey its a Mustang! Race it! So I think I am headed that route. Thanks again guys for all the input.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:35 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AlloyDemon
Hey thanks everyone for your input. I think I have decided to go with the camber plates. They just seem like in the end they will work out better. I also plan on starting to race my car a little bit because hey its a Mustang! Race it! So I think I am headed that route. Thanks again guys for all the input.
Plates if you wanna do track days. Have your alignment shop give you two settings and you will be able to swap out at the track to more aggressive camber and swap back for the drive home
Old 03-31-2015, 09:51 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Plates anyway. Consider what the force from hitting a bad pothole passes through, and trying to do anything except help the bolt maintain its position (and your camber setting) . . .

Norm