Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

stock P Zero Nero tires- hydroplaning

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 06:37 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

The original question is certainly valid, as are the responses. One problem we have is which version of the tires in question are we talking about. My car came with the 17" Pirelli P Zero Nero tires. I replaced them with Pirelli P Zero Nero tires, but by then Pirelli had changed the designation slightly (designating them as "All Season" on the sidewall), even though the tires that came on the car were all season tires. I had previously asked Pirelli if the two versions could be used on the car. In case I had a flat that could not be repaired, I wanted to know. The reply from Pirelli was that it was only proper to use the same version on a given axle. So one flat tire that could not be repaired would require replacing two tires for the best safety. This might be true of the other brands of tires.

All you can really go by is a limited number of experiences, not knowing which version of the tire is being used. Even within a specific version, who knows if "running changes" have been made? You could send the photo to Pirelli, along with the information on the sidewall, but I have doubts as to whether that would get you information as to what specific changes might have been made since your new-ish tires.

I think that directional tires, all things being equal (which they never are), are better in the wet that the Pirelli asymmetrical tires, even though the Pirelli tires do get good ratings in the wet.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:09 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
Any tire recommendations? I don't drive this car on snow so summer tires are OK, though I'd prefer something lower noise and with a decent tread wear rating.

For a quiet, reliable, high traction, heat tolerant tire that wears what I consider "reasonably well" considering, a tire I staked a lot on many times on several cars for about half my last career, I do love the Goodyear RS-A.

Treadwear 260 / Traction A / Temperature A

Based on how I drive this Mustang, how I drove my last few CVPIs at work, how they wear on my Merc GM and T-birds, I figure they'll last long enough to retire due to age before they are wore out ..... which is why I removed the Pirellis with 1/4 or more of the usable tread still intact (took to land fill, paid $1.50 each .... they will be cut and recycled).

Last edited by tbear853; 05-08-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:03 PM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

I had really good luck with the Bridgestone S-04 tire. 280 treadwear rating. Quiet- at least for a performance tire. Was happy with the way it handled in the rain. Decent price too. Got great reviews at Tirerack.

I have Hankook RS3's on my car right now which are great for the type of driving I'm doing. However, you probably wouldn't be very happy with them for your purposes.