Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension or Tires Next Mod?

Old 05-24-2015, 03:11 PM
dacampora

Default Suspension or Tires Next Mod?

Looking for opinions on the order of my next mods. Currently running stock 255/40/19 P-Zero Summer tires, and I'm getting crazy wheel hop at the track. Like "**** I broke something" wheel hop. I'm planning on doing all of the following mods, but can't afford to do all of them right now.

Which would you do first?

Slicks & Skinnies on lightweight drag wheels.

OR

Upper and Lower Control arms, UCA mount, LCA relocation brackets.

I'm leaning towards suspension, because I feel like slicks will just make the wheel hop considerably worse. The claim of sub 12-second ET's is alluring, though.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:47 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

If you do decide to go suspension, I'd recommend just doing the LCAs and seeing if anything else is needed. Better just to do one thing at a time so you can dial it in more to your liking. If you do all of it and something isn't the way you want it, it's harder to figure out what the problem is.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:44 AM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

It would seem that with all the wheel hop it would be hard to determine if the tires actually NEED to be upgraded. Also with wheel hop like you describe you increase the chance of actually breaking something and possibly damaging the tires too.
I would say Control Arms first.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:54 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Control arms first because they'll help no matter what tires you're on.

I run these UPR Pro Street arms, and they work great!

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...ushing-05.html

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...-mount-11.html

^^they're Made in America, they carry Lifetime Guarantee, and mf.com members get a 10% discount!
Old 05-25-2015, 05:13 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Suspension, without a doubt.

Assuming that you're going to save your drag setup for the track, the wheel hop will still be there when your street tires go back on.

The point of modding to fix wheel hop is to mod until the hop stops, but no further. Unless/until the hop returns. I'd suggest doing the LCAs first and trying that out. Then the UCA (and try that out). Then maybe relo brackets testing a couple of different settings. Beyond that, shocks, springs, and even engine and transmission mounts. All of these mods can be done independent of on another, and there's nothing sacred about the order of the first three items in that list.

Norm