Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 12:31 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Default Need help

Suspension mods in sig. Springs, shocks, sways, strut mounts, sway bar end links 2 years old. Rear LCA 1 year old. Front LCA 1 year old. Pan hard bar and brace and A arm brace 8 years old.

Ran the car at Laguna Seca at the end of December.

Took the car into the Dealer afterwards. Was told my original tie rods were toast. Also had a frayed SS left front brake line. So they put in Moog tie rod ends, new SS lines all around and alignment.

Car developed a metallic rattle coming from the passenger front and rear over bumps, rough roads, breaks in pavement. At first I thought it was from some play in the SS lines as they ran through the bracket that mounts to the frame of the car. Put Zip ties to secure but that didn't change the rattle. Have had the wheels off twice with the car in the air and found nothing obviously loose. Took it back to the dealer and they said well you have an aftermarket suspension and they have NVH. Even though I explained there were no noises prior to having them work on it. They checked and "everything was tight and rechecked the alignment". Their suggestion was printing off some TSB about rattles from strut mounts and GT500 front LCA.

Second more worrisome issue is the car feels loose around turns, more so when turning right than left. As well as under hard acceleration. The back end doesn't seem to track correctly, has a "waggle" before settling. At speeds above 75 mph, the car feels floaty in the back end more so than the front. Also, I've noticed at low speed 10-15 mph when turning left going over a crowned road as the right rear gets over the crown and while the left rear is on the other side of the crown the diff will nearly lock and it feels like power is being only put to the right rear and it breaks traction (TC off).

Any ideas what is causing the rattle or the suspension issues? End links? Sway bar bushings? Pan hard bar bushing? Shocks? I still have the stock rear UCA, don't know what the car would feel like if the bushings were toast. I'm at my wits end, the car is a little scary and I have avoided doing any more track time for fear that my rear end will break off and fly into the dirt while the front is trying to complete the turn.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2015, 07:06 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The rear not feeling "settled" sounds like a rear LCA matter, that either their bushings have deteriorated or the bolts are moving around in the bolt hole clearances. I'd check the LCA bushings for damage, and also for being longer than the sleeves that run through them.

Similar situations could exist up front, but I don't have any basis in experience to say for sure.

Norm
Old 06-03-2015, 04:36 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

So you think the rattles and the unsettled feeling around turns could be caused from the same thing and that both front and rear bushings deteriorated at the same time?

What does a worn out rear UCA act like?
What does worn out front sway bar end links act like?
Coud the rattle or unsettling feeling be a shock issue?
Old 06-04-2015, 10:36 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Rod ends will rattle as they wear (don't know if your car has any of these anywhere).

Poly bushings can split, which can and will throw away suspension linkage accuracy, which does feel a little unsettled. When the bushings are longer than the sleeve that runs inside them, most of your bolt torque is wasted compressing the poly, so when te suspension moves (and the poly rotates inside their brackets) any traction or braking force can cause the bolt to move inside the holes until all of the hole clearances are taken up. Usually this results in more of a 'clunk', but I'm not ready to disregard the possibility of the noise sounding more like a rattle to some people.

It's also possible that one or more of your shocks/struts is blown.

Norm