Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Complete suspension upgrade - What should I look for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 05:08 PM
ryanjm

Default Complete suspension upgrade - What should I look for?

Hi guys- Complete noob here, and I have no interest in doing any of the work myself, but I'm wondering what I can do to upgrade my car's suspension? I have a stock v6 2014 Mustang and live in Colorado. I basically want to get some quotes from local shops for a few upgrades.

Here is what I'm noticing and what I'm trying to achieve:

1) The car leans hard around corners. I would like it to be flatter.
2) Car does not handle rough pavement and/or potholes well. I would like it to be smoother.

Can those two objectives be met? I know a stiffer suspension generally rides rougher, but is it possible for something that's pretty stiff but also smooth?

Also, I know this isn't the right subforum, and I'm not nearly as concerned with it, but any really minor/easy add-ons to increase 0-60 time?
Old 06-25-2015, 12:06 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Would this be flat enough for you?

Also, I know this isn't the right subforum, and I'm not nearly as concerned with it, but any really minor/easy add-ons to increase 0-60 time?
Increase it? Stupid easy, don't step on the gas as hard.

Seriously, grippier tires, relo brackets, more aggressive tune. Aftermarket LCAs and maybe UCA if you're being limited by wheel hop. For starters anyway.

Norm
Old 06-26-2015, 03:01 AM
Allupinya
2nd Gear Member

Also depends on your experience. Tires can easily out handle your suspension quickly. It all depends on your driving habits, experience and goals.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:40 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

As far as my mention of tires was concerned, that was strictly for the 0 - 60 part of OP's post. Sorry if I misled anyone.

In cornering, tires that are "too good" for the suspension and its tuning (not to mention driver experience) will more than likely just get chewed up faster ($$$$).

Norm
Old 06-26-2015, 01:45 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

What do you consider to be a "complete" suspension upgrade? That's a pretty loaded way to ask the question. I think the ideal "complete" setup for your desired driving characteristics is an air bag system.....that's probably on the extreme side for most wallets though.

Start with quality shocks & struts. Adjustability is nice but not necessary. That will make the biggest difference in ride quality on rough pavement. Replacing the springs, even with a mild lowering spring, will flatten the corners a great deal without adding too much harshness. You may find these two things are all you need, but I would hardly call this "complete".

Potholes will still be potholes. Tires with a taller sidewall (or lower pressure) are about the only thing you can do to soften the edges, but it will be at the expense of grip and/or handling.

Beyond that, I think it's best to address specific handling characteristics as they present themselves. Wheel hop is going to require different pieces than over/under-steer issues. An ideal drag setup isn't going to be the best street setup.

Where in Colorado are you located? There are some good tuners around and a fairly active group of local Mustang enthusiasts to help point you in the right direction to have work done. Try coloradostangs.com for some local advice.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:47 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

If you want less body roll but you don't want to increase the stiffness, you need to look at swaybars.

http://www.uprproducts.com/eibach-mu...ar-kit-11.html
Old 07-01-2015, 12:04 AM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

As mentioned by UPRSharad, sway bars will be your best bet and are going to eliminate most of your body-roll. Look into an adjustable setup such as Whiteline front and rear adj sway bars, this way you can get your stiffness preference finely dialed in. I installed a set on my 14' before adding all my other suspension stuff and I was really surprised by how much of a difference they made. Really tightened up steering around corners and over bumps. You will still retain your ride "smoothness" but still drastically improve handling.

As for improving your your 0-60, a handheld tuner will give you the best bang for your buck. Pair it with a cold air intake for even bigger gains. Also, a set of lower control arms will help keep your axle planted and increase your 60ft times which in turn will improve your 0-60.

Front and rear sway bars, tuner, intake, and control arms will cost you just over $1,000, give or take some depending on which setups you choose. Not counting installation. Of course, you can save yourself a lot of money by doing it yourself

Last edited by yourmom6990; 07-01-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:42 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

FWIW . . .

Originally Posted by ryanjm's Profile
ryanjm

Last Activity: 06-24-2015 06:11 PM

Norm
Old 07-02-2015, 06:25 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

It won't be long now Norm! I am installing Koni yellows & J&M cc plates with BMR rear lower control arms on "Stock" V6 springs. "Not lowered" Norm do you know the rate of stock 14 V6 springs?
Old 07-02-2015, 07:02 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I've never seen the rates on those springs, sorry.

Strictly as a guess . . . maybe something like 115 - 120 up front and 135-ish rear. 5 lb/in either way from those numbers or 10 lb/in stiffer shouldn't matter too much.

Norm

Quick Reply: Complete suspension upgrade - What should I look for?