Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Wilwood/tilton pedal retrofit on 2007 GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 07:44 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Default Wilwood/tilton pedal retrofit on 2007 GT

Hi, not sure if it belongs here, but since I want them for track days I thought I'd give it a try.

Short story, I hate the pedal setup on the GT. No matter how much I try my feet can't seem to find the correct position for heel and toe, plus they creak and feel flimsy, I'm guessing due to all the plastic in there. So, since my car is slowly but surely turning into a track toy I thought I might try aftermarket racing pedals like wilwood or tilton. Is there any way to make them work with the electronic throttle on the Stang? I already tried pedal covers, didn't help.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:20 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

If the pedal kit that you're trying to use has a bottom-pivot throttle pedal, I imagine you'd be in for some custom fitting where the back of the pedal would work against some remnant of the OE pedal. I'm thinking that an arrangement with a wheel on the OE pedal bits against a necessarily flat back surface of the new pedal would work more smoothly and more linearly, and even then I would still expect there to be some changes in "linearity" of pedal response vs pedal position.

It's all I can think of off the top of my head, and I do seem to remember the above arrangement being used as OE on some 1960's cars, maybe one of the Dodges my Dad owned.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-18-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:35 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I decided against the pedal replacement, too much money that could be used elsewhere.

I'm going to pull apart the pedal set to see if I can have something machined to replace that stupid cheap plastic setup. I swear no matter how much grease I put on the clutch pedal it ends up creaking after a while.

When I took the pedal assembly off to install the pedal covers I noticed a lot of play on some parts, I might just make some self-lubricating bushings to replace the plastic ones on the pedal pivot points. It won't help with the pedal position but at least they will firm up and not wiggle all over the place.

That setup is so crappy that on the 1/4 mile, when shifting my brake lights would come on, I finally realized the brake pedal was moving down when I pressed the clutch and engaging the brake switch!
Old 08-31-2015, 11:15 AM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash_xx

That setup is so crappy that on the 1/4 mile, when shifting my brake lights would come on, I finally realized the brake pedal was moving down when I pressed the clutch and engaging the brake switch!
Mine does the same thing. I also realized that these cars have the most sensitive brake switch of any car I have ever driven. I bent mine just slightly, but mine used to cancel cruise when I would hit a bump. I am interested in what you find to stiffen up the pedal box and pedals.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:25 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Sorry for the late reply. Tomorrow I plan on disassembling the pedals to take a closer look. I'll update with pics whatever job I do on them.

I know what you mean about the sensitive pedal. People kept asking me why I braked on the 1/4 mile!