Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Can the S550 IRS be retro-fitted to the S197?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 10:14 AM
eelpie

Default Can the S550 IRS be retro-fitted to the S197?

I am considering the purchase of an S197, and fitting the S550 independent rear suspension seems like a good way to improve handling.

Will the newer axle swap to the older chassis?

Thank you.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:50 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Don't think so. The S197 is different than the S550 platform. Mounting points and width of the drive axle will be different. Not to mention IRS adds a couple hundred pounds and is prone to wheel hop.

I would keep the Solid rear axle and get a Watts type suspension upgrade for the rear. It would put your rear end handling one notch below an IRS without the wheel hop.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:36 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I looked into an IRS well before the S550 came out. Looked into the Jaguar, Lincoln and even the Australian Falcon and the Arning IRS from mustangirs.com, but in the end I'm not one who likes being a guinea pig plus the cost is insane.

If I ever get rid of the panhard it will be for a Watts Link, but honestly I find them a bit expensive for what they are. The cheapest one is the Fays2 and that's almost 700 dollars, the others are closer to 1k. The Fays looks weird as do the BMR and highly overpriced Steeda. The cleanest looking one is the Whiteline or Cortex design, but then there's that roll center thing plus putting my life into the 8 little bolts that hold the Diff cover. I wish someone would design a cleaner looking alternative to the fays2.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:15 PM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

[/url]

Done.

Courtesy of Cortex Racing.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:15 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by ccwebb
[/url]

Done.

So how do you account for the difference in width between the rear ends and the different mounting points? Any links to a project page or additional pictures...Oh and how much for the work??

This is all they have on it..

http://www.facebook.com/CorteXracing...643397/?type=3

CorteX Racing Let just say there is a bit of cutting and welding. But it does go right in afterwards ��
7 · May 18 at 7:02pm
Sam Davis
Sam Davis Lol nice
May 18 at 7:03pm
Rich Alexa
Rich Alexa More photos please
May 18 at 7:04pm
Chase Cochrun
Chase Cochrun So is a bolt in kit out of the question?
May 18 at 7:06pm
CorteX Racing
CorteX Racing Yes

Sooo, back to my original reply...Don't think so...unless you have two of the following, time, money and/or expertise, to do it.

Last edited by Derf00; 11-20-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:07 PM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
So how do you account for the difference in width between the rear ends and the different mounting points? Any links to a project page or additional pictures...Oh and how much for the work??

This is all they have on it..

http://www.facebook.com/CorteXracing...643397/?type=3

CorteX Racing Let just say there is a bit of cutting and welding. But it does go right in afterwards ��
7 · May 18 at 7:02pm
Sam Davis
Sam Davis Lol nice
May 18 at 7:03pm
Rich Alexa
Rich Alexa More photos please
May 18 at 7:04pm
Chase Cochrun
Chase Cochrun So is a bolt in kit out of the question?
May 18 at 7:06pm
CorteX Racing
CorteX Racing Yes

Sooo, back to my original reply...Don't think so...unless you have two of the following, time, money and/or expertise, to do it.

Yes it is probably expensive but far be it from me to decide what someone is willing to spend on their car.

Derf00,
Like you, years back I looked into the Jaguar, T-bird and SN95 IRS as a retrofit to my 08 Bullitt...pure coincidance that the car above is also a Bullitt...not mine.
Ultimately there were too many unknowns prior to actually performing a swap to warrant the project but I would have spent the money to do it otherwise...but not because I thought the performance was going to be light years ahead of the stock rear end...I'm a huge fan of the solid rear axle and know that they can and do perform well through turns despite the common misconception that they can't.
My reasons for wanting to do it went well beyond any possible performance improvement, but these reasons are not easily translated into something as a simple to explain as a quantifiable result.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:48 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Yes it is probably expensive but far be it from me to decide what someone is willing to spend on their car.

Derf00,
Like you, years back I looked into the Jaguar, T-bird and SN95 IRS as a retrofit to my 08 Bullitt...pure coincidance that the car above is also a Bullitt...not mine.
Ultimately there were too many unknowns prior to actually performing a swap to warrant the project but I would have spent the money to do it otherwise...but not because I thought the performance was going to be light years ahead of the stock rear end...I'm a huge fan of the solid rear axle and know that they can and do perform well through turns despite the common misconception that they can't.
My reasons for wanting to do it went well beyond any possible performance improvement, but these reasons are not easily translated into something as a simple to explain as a quantifiable result.
Absolutely agree, just not likely for the average schmo. But if you've got time and expertise, I guess it's attainable for the average person too!
Old 11-21-2017, 03:40 PM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Absolutely agree, just not likely for the average schmo. But if you've got time and expertise, I guess it's attainable for the average person too!
No doubt. Not for the average schmo, or at least this average schmo, that's for sure as I'm guessing the required amount of expertise, labor and fabrication is quite expensive.

Then again, as one of my good friends used to say...

"Don't worry it's just money, it'll go away!"
Old 11-22-2017, 01:02 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

No doubt. Not for the average schmo, or at least this average schmo, that's for sure as I'm guessing the required amount of expertise, labor and fabrication is quite expensive.

Then again, as one of my good friends used to say...

"Don't worry it's just money, it'll go away!"
And you can't take it with you when you die...
Old 04-03-2024, 11:40 AM
StaticS197

Default Looking to do this exact swap.

hey man I know it’s been since like 2022 since activity on your page but I’m seriously considering doing this exact thing and hoping you could provide me so insight on what to expect. I can send you my email or number to get the information I’m seeking if you’re willing to share your insights even though I know it’s been a while!

Done.