Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Koni Yellows or Bilstein HD

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 08:19 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Default Koni Yellows or Bilstein HD

Right now I'm running Koni STR.T's, which really weren't meant for track use, but at the time it was a budget compromise. Now I'm ready to upgrade to some better suited shocks. I've had the Koni yellows before and loved them but once set up never touched them again. Given the way the STR.T's corroded after a short time and the fact that they are made in Argentina, not the Netherlands as my previous Koni's, I've been looking at the Bilsteins. Does anyone run track days on them or can shed a light on the stiffness compared to the Koni yellows?

The price difference is about 150US$, with the Koni's up in price again. Are the Yellows made in Europe? I really can't afford to make a mistake on shocks hovering 800 dollars, especially when I'm saving for a watts link, brembos and a square tire setup

I'm running Steeda sport springs and Ford Racing anti roll bars with MM camber/caster plates up front.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:50 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Never used Bilsteins on a Mustang but I ran the sport versions on my BMWs and loved them. I think their build quality is superior to Koni all day long. I use Ford Racing Multimatic shocks on my Mustang.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:03 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by proeagles
Never used Bilsteins on a Mustang but I ran the sport versions on my BMWs and loved them. I think their build quality is superior to Koni all day long. I use Ford Racing Multimatic shocks on my Mustang.
The adjustable ones? I was looking at them but didn't know anyone who had them. Are you happy with them?
Old 01-02-2017, 04:14 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

If you are asking about the Multimatics they were adjustable. You can get them from Ford Racing or CJ Pony Parts. You need to get the track version. The Bilsteins are self adjusting.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:05 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I had the Koni Yellows but they didn't hold up very long and I really couldn't dial them in to something that was preferable. So I recently switched to Bilstein HD's.

Initial impressions was the ride seemed a little rough on the Bilstein's, was expecting a little more comfort (on Steeda Sport Springs). I feel just about everything on the road. I got new tires today so my opinion might change some in the near future as the longer I drive on them.