Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Fays2 Watts-link + FRPP Diff Cover issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 01:04 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default Fays2 Watts-link + FRPP Diff Cover issues

I finally pulled the trigger on a ton of suspension parts to redo, fix, or enhance my suspension. One of them was the Fays2 Watts-link. I'm having fitment issues and I just wanted to know if anyone else has encountered these things? I have been in contact with Jim and I hope I can get this thing installed. Time is limited though and I probably won't be able to try again till next weekend.

Issue: There is only about 1 7/8 from the Watts-link frame to the Differential cover. That simply isn't enough for the hardware to fit between. I have BMR LCA Relocation Brackets as well as their Non-Adjustable Control Arms. I don't think that changes the position of the rear end any, but I could be wrong? Jim sent me a new frame just in case, and I will fit that up next week but I want to reach out and see if anyone else encountered any issues like this as well.

I am installing this on tire ramps with the front end on the ground, again I don't know if this makes a difference or not but per the instructions it is ok to do it this way. In searching I have seen a convertible that has both installed and there was plenty of room between the cover and frame but that isn't the case with mine. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:32 PM
Scott2
2nd Gear Member

Not a Fays2 but BMR Watts Link and FRPP Cover. It was necessary to pretty much assemble the link completely before lifting it into position.

Name:  IMG_0262%20Medium_zpsiapz4cyr.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  199.0 KB
Old 03-06-2017, 08:43 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

This is the problem I am encountering. There simply isn't enough space between the frame and the differential cover for the propeller and the hardware.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:22 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Rearward facing side of the Fays 2. Plenty of clearance.

Frontward facing side of the Fays 2. Roughly 1 7/8 clearance to the cover. Not sufficient for propeller and hardware.

Stock panhard bar & brace with FFRP Cover.

BMR Lower Control Arms with Relocation brackets.

Additional view of Stock Panhard Bar & Brace.

Approximation of control arm length, possible candidate for any inconsistency with rear-end position?
Old 03-10-2017, 04:43 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Well, I tried installing the new Watts-link frame that Jim sent me today. It had a little more clearance but still the linkage arm bolt wasn't clearing the Differential cover. So I think I am not going to be able to fit the Fays2... I guess I'm looking for alternatives now that will 100% clear the cover.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-13-2017, 03:19 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Crap, I was going to order the Fays, but I just installed a GT500 finned cover. Anyone know if it fits with my cover?
Old 08-01-2017, 11:30 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Did you have any success Flash? I had to return my Fays2 which deeply saddens me because I think it's the best on the market. I contacted BMR and they couldn't confirm that their unit would work with my cover so I think at this point I'm kind of stuck with zero options.