Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Lowering your 05/06 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 01:58 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

I have been unable to find any spring rates with the Roush extreme springs; I started a thread some time ago about various springs for the S197- https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...g-allowed.html. They will fit the factory dampers, and they will operate within the factory or 'normal' suspension movement limits. Will they wear out your stock dampers quicker?- probably so, for two reasons: 1) You've probably been riding around on stock springs for a while and the internals seals actually set up a wear pattern on the inside of the damper. Lowering it; using a shorter spring, changes where the suspension travels and affects where the seals ride. 2) Running a lowering, or stiffer, spring usually results in an underdampened strut or shock. This essentially makes the damper work 'harder' to control the higher spring rate, as it tries to slow down the spring as it oscillates. More heat is often a result as well.

In the real world, you could end up with a somewhat bumpy ride, and shortened life span of the dampers, but they will physically function. I know this is a long post, but I am just trying to make it clear as can be. It has been my experience that stock 05-09 GT dampers can handle up to 175 lb/in and 1 inch of lowering without any adverse affects.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:42 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

finally going to drop my Bullitt after thinking long & hard about it.

going to use the Eibach Pro-Kit or the FRPP "K" springs...both say about 1.5" out back drop
new fixed length LCA's
adjustable panhard

do I truly need anything else? I wouldn't mind new shocks/struts...but they just aren't in the budget right now. And I've only got 3,400 miles. I've also considered a SPOHN UCA...but really don't want to spend the extra $130 unless it's really needed. I am a complete novice at lowering, so please critique my setup.

I'm awaiting shipping $$$ quotes right now...so probably will be buying stuff in the AM
Old 06-09-2010, 05:00 AM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

Hey Tylus you have the basics.

I went with the Eibach pro-kit & love it. I have put pro-kits on about 5 different cars. I would also highly recommend camber bolts or an adjustable upper strut mount. You can go with the bolts if your budget does not allow for the uuuper strut mounts. Eibach makes the bolts, you can find them on their website. I would also wait a week for the car to settle & get an alignment from a reputable shop.

Here are some supporting mods (not necessary, but nice to have) to think about:

1. Steeda or GT500 upper strut mounts. I went with the Steeda's because they are adjustable & needed it for the negative camber lowering created in my case. These are better than the bolts, but are a lot more $$$$

2. Some type of strut/shock upgrade. I went with the Tociko D-specs & love them.

Good luck, the car will look much better IMO after you lower it.

Mike
Old 06-09-2010, 05:20 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

do I really need camber bolts? if so, will my alignment shop have them or be able to grab them easily? I honestly have no desire to purchase unless I need them.

I've found the GT500 upper mount for about $70 shipped...should I grab? I've seen where people discuss they are more robust than the GT mount. again, not really sure if it's an expense needed or not
Old 06-09-2010, 07:21 PM
UofASouthpaw

Originally Posted by Tylus
do I really need camber bolts? if so, will my alignment shop have them or be able to grab them easily? I honestly have no desire to purchase unless I need them.

I've found the GT500 upper mount for about $70 shipped...should I grab? I've seen where people discuss they are more robust than the GT mount. again, not really sure if it's an expense needed or not
The shop won't have them. They are specially designed. You could try to get by without them, and there might be enough adjustment room that you don't need them. But if there isn't enough room then you'll have to buy them anyway AND pay for another alignment, or live with excessive camber, thus wearing out your tires faster. At $24, the camber bolts are cheaper than either of those options. Just get them.

Check out cjponyparts.com... the camber bolts are $24 and the GT500 strut mounts are $61. And free shipping! Oh, and the FRPP K springs spec out exactly the same as the Eibach, and cjponyparts has those for $200.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

I grabbed GT500 strut mounts, and camber bolts this morning.

still waiting on stores to reply with their shipping rates on the springs.

to date i've purchased the following and should recieve fairly quickly:
spohn lca
spohn adjustable panhard
gt500 strut mount
camber bolts
if I get the springs for a decent price, I will also grab a spohn UCA with the spherical joint

I would never have guessed how quickly the $$$ adds up when you lower a car...damn, I'm at $400 already and haven't even bought the springs
Old 06-25-2010, 11:04 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

real stupid question

do you need 2 or 4 camber bolts total ?

Last edited by doode; 06-26-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:40 AM
UofASouthpaw

You only need one "set", which comes as a pair of bolts.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:43 AM
Ford44

Any easy way to remember it, is that you need one camber bolt per strut. In this case, the S197 uses struts up front, and thus you need two.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

When I was initially looking into lowering my mustang I ended up purchasing the Eibach camber bolts. Later I changed my mind and decided to get Steeda Upper strut mounts instead even though I already had the Eibach ones in hand. If anyone is interested in the camber bolts pm me or something. I'm not activily trying to sell them, but if someone needs them I'd be willing to sell them for $20 or so plus shipping (they sell for $27.50 before shipping). They were never on the car and are still in the original box.

andretti

Quick Reply: Lowering your 05/06 Mustang GT