Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

GT 500 Questions

Old 06-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Zan186
1st Gear Member

Default GT 500 Questions

I am looking to purchase a new Mustang for pretty much a daily driver. Mostly due to the fact I just bought an 02 Viper for my thrills and frills. So I am looking to upgrade my daily driver which is currently a ford Escape to something sporty that gets decent gas milage. The choices really come down to a base model Ford GT Mustang Auto or Manual, or a GT 500. Cost really isn't a huge factor as that I can write the car off as a tax deduction. (aka Work Vehicle). What I don't like is dealerships jacking up the MSRP to gouge the consumer. So right now I have been watching and waiting to see how the release of the 08's will affect the price of the 07.
Doing some homework I have read that Mustang sales are not so good the last two months. This usually tells me the market is pretty saturated and that Ford made too many cars for the number of Mustang buyers. I am expecting some pretty hefty incentives in late July, early August to help dealers move these cars.
The markup's on the GT 500's has started to come down to about $5k to $10k. I am guessing when the 08 is released it will make it very hard to sell an 07 over msrp. I could be wrong, but economically if you have 40 GT 500's on lot's now that are not moving and Ford releases a few thousand more then more than likely the price has to drop dramatically in order to sell.
The other thing that is important is the Challenger and Camero that are looming on the horizon for 2009. Lot of people who would be leaning towards a GT 500 might go for a Challenger or Camero instead.
Anyone have some idea or predictions when the GT500 will be going for MSRP.

How many GT 500's are going to be produced in 08? I know 1000 are going to be King of the Road series, which will also cause the GT500 to decrease in price.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Default RE: GT 500 Questions

I dont think you'll find a GT 500 for anywhere near MSRP... local dealer in NY had one....sold 20K over in 3 or 4 days. maybe in 09 or 10 you could get one for sticker...but y wait...get a GT and a few mods and a lot less $$$ gets you close.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:22 PM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

AS long as there is the "name SHELBY" officially documentedon any MUSTANG, you will ALWAYS pay a PREMIUM..................... PERIOD.
Now, really, think about this,,,,, you said cost isn't a factor, so quit bellyachin' about the dealers' markup.
Your DD is an Escape ?, notta EB, orLimited ?, but you own a Viper,yet want upgrade to aGT500 DD?
Something is missing here. JMO
Old 06-17-2007, 04:35 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

I don't think the ADM will drop severely on an '07 GT500, maybe $5-7.5K over MSRP, but I don't think these cars will ever be MSRP(unless gas goes to $5/gal). As soon as one is sold at MSRP, all us real working stiffs are gonna ****** them all up and cause the price to rise again as there's gonna be another shortage. Although a GT500 as a DD? I'd rather just get a GT and put some racing stripes and lower it a bit.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:57 PM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

+1
Old 06-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Zan186
1st Gear Member

Lot of it is supply and demand. There are a bunch of GT 500's sitting on lot's right now and they are not moving at the asking price. If Ford releases another 3000 of these cars then yes they will be at MSRP.
Fact's are really simple, a few people will spend top dollar to buy something new or to be the first to own one. After that small segment of the population is satisfied then there are few buyers who are going to ante up and over pay for a car. Already most of the GT 500's are down into the mid 50k range. I bet my May 08 the GT500 will be as MSRP. The KR will be still above MSRP but the rest will drop.

As for a daily driver, well I am in a pretty good situation. I am buying the car primarily to drive to work which is highway for 30 miles. I can write off the vehicle as a tax deduction so buying a more expensive car equates to a larger write off. Plus the thought that the car may some day be worth something weighs into the equation too.

Why a GT 500? I kind of like the way the car looks slightly better than the GT. It already has the white racing stripes painted on (not a fan of Vinyl), and it has the exhaust upgrade as well. Yes I could go with a GT, and I might still go that route. Also you can park a GT500 and not draw a ton of attention to your car as most people just see it as a nice mustang. I can't take the Viper to the mall or anywhere I can't keep an eye on it.
It really come's down to ******* people. If someone key's a mustang you get pissed, someone keys a Viper and well you are looking for a gun!
Someone hits your car and dents the door in a Mustang you are looking at a few hundred bucks to replace it, parts are a plenty for Mustangs. Someone hits the Viper and you are talking thousands to replace and parts are not a plenty.

Don't get me wrong, I dont plan on abusing my mustang. A mustang is more like a 16 year old kid, you wanna know where it is and make sure it is safe but you can leave it alone a few hours and not worry about it. The Viper is more like a 2 year old toddler that get's into everything. You don't leave it anywhere out of sight for more than a few minutes.

The Escape I leased because I needed something ASAP that was reliable to get to my new part time job. It also double's as a second family vehicle, 2nd to the Wife Trailblazer EXT.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:26 PM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

I'm not sure how it is in the U.S but the GT500 is considered a luxury vehicule in Canada. I purchased mine as company car also. I couldn't ride off all of it just the first 45K on the 85K purchase price.

ORIGINAL: Zan186

Lot of it is supply and demand. There are a bunch of GT 500's sitting on lot's right now and they are not moving at the asking price. If Ford releases another 3000 of these cars then yes they will be at MSRP.
Fact's are really simple, a few people will spend top dollar to buy something new or to be the first to own one. After that small segment of the population is satisfied then there are few buyers who are going to ante up and over pay for a car. Already most of the GT 500's are down into the mid 50k range. I bet my May 08 the GT500 will be as MSRP. The KR will be still above MSRP but the rest will drop.

As for a daily driver, well I am in a pretty good situation. I am buying the car primarily to drive to work which is highway for 30 miles. I can write off the vehicle as a tax deduction so buying a more expensive car equates to a larger write off. Plus the thought that the car may some day be worth something weighs into the equation too.

Why a GT 500? I kind of like the way the car looks slightly better than the GT. It already has the white racing stripes painted on (not a fan of Vinyl), and it has the exhaust upgrade as well. Yes I could go with a GT, and I might still go that route. Also you can park a GT500 and not draw a ton of attention to your car as most people just see it as a nice mustang. I can't take the Viper to the mall or anywhere I can't keep an eye on it.
It really come's down to ******* people. If someone key's a mustang you get pissed, someone keys a Viper and well you are looking for a gun!
Someone hits your car and dents the door in a Mustang you are looking at a few hundred bucks to replace it, parts are a plenty for Mustangs. Someone hits the Viper and you are talking thousands to replace and parts are not a plenty.

Don't get me wrong, I dont plan on abusing my mustang. A mustang is more like a 16 year old kid, you wanna know where it is and make sure it is safe but you can leave it alone a few hours and not worry about it. The Viper is more like a 2 year old toddler that get's into everything. You don't leave it anywhere out of sight for more than a few minutes.

The Escape I leased because I needed something ASAP that was reliable to get to my new part time job. It also double's as a second family vehicle, 2nd to the Wife Trailblazer EXT.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:36 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Zan186

Sorry to tell you, the stripes on the GT500 are vinyl, not paint. An '02 Viper has about the same value(currently) as a new GT500, as for leaving anywhere, I'd never do that to a GT500(or drive 30 mile each way to work everyday!). I'm sure in 20-30 years that GT500 will be worth more than an '02 Viper(too many Vipers made overall since 1992). The original Shelby Cobra(260/289/427 and yes some had 428s) where just over 1000 cars in total. The current GT500 won't probably reach 15,000 units in total, a number surpassed by the Viper since it's introduction. If I were you, I'd sell the Viper and wait for a GT500KR and put it in the garage for special occassions and get a convertible GT for a DD(with painted stripes). Of course, you sound like a Dodge man, so why aren't you waiting for the new Challenger??????
Old 06-18-2007, 12:35 AM
redcobrasc
2nd Gear Member

JMO. 1st year runs will always have a higher resale value,(1964 1/2 mustang) you can also get the 40th ann. for the 2007 model only. And if you have any spare change you could get the SSpkg. You need to drive aGT500 then tell me its just another mustang.Get the shelby and make the viper your DD
Old 06-18-2007, 12:47 AM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

+1
I'm not sure why the 500 feels so different than my GT. It's a completely different animal. I feels really good at high speeds (over 140). You have to drive the damn thing to understand.

ORIGINAL: redcobrasc

JMO. 1st year runs will always have a higher resale value,(1964 1/2 mustang) you can also get the 40th ann. for the 2007 model only. And if you have any spare change you could get the SSpkg. You need to drive aGT500 then tell me its just another mustang.Get the shelby and make the viper your DD

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT 500 Questions