Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Bullit verses Shelby GT comparison

Old 03-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Milstang

Default RE: Bullit verses Shelby GT comparison

ORIGINAL: Black GT500

Hum... The Bullitt Package for a $3000 price tag or the Shelby GT package for that same $3000 PLUS an additional $7500

Comparable power improvements
Comparable suspension improvements (A.)
Much better cold air intake on the Bullitt
Most of all MUCH better gears 3.73/1 in the Bullitt
Straight line or in the corners, The Bullitt will flat spank the Shelby GT! (B.)

Bunch of RICE looking scoops, stripes and cheap hood pins and redundant gauges glued to the dash on the SGT
Very clean, stealthy Bling and Rice free look and much better seats in the Bullitt (C.)

The Bullitt package
54B – Bullitt Package $2879/$3310
Bullitt Total $2879/$3310

The Shelby GT package
GT Upfitters Package $2140
Shelby GT Package $7390
Gas Guzzler Tax $1000 WTF is that?
Shelby GT Total $10530

This looks like a no brainer for me. Pay $7500 for the Shelby name and a bunch of less than tasteful bling, or pocket that $7500 and drive a very stealthy factory Mustang that will spank and stock Mustang GT or Mustang Shelby GT.

How’s that for an opinion? (D.)
A. Nowhere comparable if you have actually driven both as I have.
B. Hardly...not just my opinion but the opinion of 6 other people at the dealership.
C. You are definitely entitled to your opinion.
D. Fine as an opinion as long as you don't portray A. as a fact.

Now for my opinion.

I really liked the Bullet. The exhaust sounds awesome, the color is unique and the dash is actually not as bad as I thought it would look in person. The seats and steering wheel are very nice.

Now the shifter was better than a stock GT but it was too long compared to the short throw of the Hurst shifter. The suspension although better than the stock GT was NOT even close to the FRPP suspension. Now as said below, you could add that to the Bullet and have a very nice car...that is subdued. Granted once you do that you are looking at almost exactly the price you could get a 2007 Shelby GT.

Either way I advise you to drive both and decide for yourself. We all have opinions but they are not yours. I wanted a GT500 originally, but got the Shelby GT and there is no way I would trade it for anything. Even if it was for a GT500 now.

Good luck on whichever you decide!
Old 03-09-2008, 07:27 AM
wahooo

i faced the same decion 2 month ago i bought a hertz shelby for $4000 more then the bullet ,i think it will hold the value better lol
Old 03-09-2008, 09:02 AM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikebxb

I' thinking ofa mustang... hold your fire ..I dig mustangs too.
I wanna know more about the BULLITT Mustang

I dont drive my car that often & when I do I miss the manual tranny....
That said I'm considering a hopped up Mustang GT ora Shelby GT or the new Bullitt ( not the GT500 although if money were no object that would be the choice but I'd rasther have another Z06 )

My sources indicate the Bullitt is a better off the rack bargain than the Shelby GT. Unless the dealers mark them up like crazy.....
mostSGT's are around $36 but the Bullittsuggested prices are $33
the two decent comparisons I've found are .2 secs diff 0-60 times
both are thirsty , neither offers a 6th gear & the bullitt has a lower rearend 3:73 opposed to 3:55 for the SGT
but the Bullitt will run on regular for daily driving....
If I got a SGT i'd be more inclined to pamper it as a collector but a hopped up GT or even Bullitt would /coild be more enjoyed in the real world on real streets
I was wondering ..what do you 'stang guys think about this new BULLITT????
I'm going to offer a different perspective. If I were looking for a special edition, then I'd get the Builltt for it's improved ride quality over the Shelby GT.

I have a C5 Corvette and a S197 Mustang GT with all of the Shelby GT performance items (3.73 gears, Cold Air Intake, Strut Tower Brace), except for the handling package, although I do have aftermarket Lower Control Arms. It's a great package, too. Must livelier than a stock GT. Those modifications are well worth the money.

Why waste money trying to make a Mustang handle? It's primarily for drag racing. When you do that, you ruin what it does better than the Corvette, namely, better ground clearence and good ride quality. It's a welcome change when I drive my S197 over speed bumps and into steep driveways. I never have to worry about it bottoming out...ever. Why would I want to mess that up by lowering it?

Generally, I think the Shelby GT has a better looking grille. No problem, you could switch that out inexpensively with an aftermarket grille and save the factory original.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:56 AM
msouhlas

A Mustang is a Mustang, but a Shelby is _not... You can't put a concrete value on that man's signature, and he won't be around forever. So here is the compromise: Get a SGT and add the 3:73 gears. Case closed - you will have a better car that will perform better and hold resale value longer than any other modified Mustang on the planet.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:04 PM
08 Bullitt 2310
2nd Gear Member

The Shelby GT is a kick *** car,if you buy it for the right price.Don't buy a car based on a man's name.buy it because it kicks azz.BTW the Shelby GT insures like a Mustang GT,So when it comes time for an insurance payout,Be prepared to recieve Mustang GT value unless otherwise stated at the policies inception.As far as values go,These are long term if you consider it an investment at best.Will it bring more than a Mustang GT,Sure it will.But it costs more to start with,Duh!Shelby Automotive will live on after Carrol Shelby is dead so don't base your decision on that nonsense.A car is a commodity,Buy the one that turns you on at a price that makes you happy.Is the Shelby GT a better car than the Bullitt?No,It's a different car,Made for a different purpose.That being said if you could but either at the same price,I would buy the Shelby every time.Unfortunately a Bullitt cost me 31,900.An 08 Shelby GT will cost you at least 37k.Buy what you like after you test drive both,There are enough significant differences to warrant an objection on the comparison.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:15 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

[sm=bling.gif]
ORIGINAL: 08 Bullitt 2310

I have owned one of each,Had an 07 Shelby GT 5 speed in Performance White,Awesome handling car!Pretty quick,Draws more attention than a naked chick in church!If you are going to buy a leftover 07,And can find one at 33K,Buy it!That being said,The Bullitt rides a little better,but obviously doesn't handle as well.But it can run on either 87 or 91 octane fuel which may be a concern if you drive it much,Has much nicer seats and steering wheel(Gt500 stuff).And is quicker in the quarter by about two or three tenths thanks to the 3:73 vs the 3:55 which is standard in the SGT.Now if you are going to buy an 08 Shelby GT,I'd go with the Bullitt,That's what I did and don't regret it at all!
Old 03-10-2008, 04:16 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wahooo

i faced the same decion 2 month ago i bought a hertz shelby for $4000 more then the bullet ,i think it will hold the value better lol
How many Miles were on it?
Old 03-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Black GT500

2008 Ford Mustang GT Bullitt Review

Special edition vehicles should be exactly that. They should offer something exceptional enough to tempt you to dig deeper in your pocket and drive away in a vehicle that's, well, special. “Investment” and historical issues aside, the Mustang Shelby GT didn’t provide a look and feel that justified the massive amount of extra coin demanded by dealers. By the same token, The Bullitt Mustang succeeds. It’s truly a unique set of wheels.

It’s easy to miss/dismiss the Bullitt Mustang as a Secretary’s Special. The Bullitt eschews all the fake hood scoop and plastic louver jewelry associated with modded ‘Stangs. The Ford style team stripped all chrome and badging from the GT’s exterior, deleted the spoiler. They added a satin aluminum grill surround (in honor of the ‘68’s chrome bumper), a Bullitt badge on the trunk lid and dark grey Bullitt “Torq Thrust” wheels. And called it good.

Taken as a whole, the Ford Mustang GT Bullitt oozes understated cool. Forsaking Roush-style flash prevalent in Ford’s other special edition Mustangs, the Bullitt Mustang channels the aura of Lieutenant Frank Bullitt (Steve McQueen). In your mind’s eye, you can see the Bullitt Mustang laying in wait, ready to pounce on any black Charger that speeds by in the hills of San Francisco…

The machined aluminum shifter **** connected to a close-ratio, short-shift Tremec five-speed adds to the excitement. Smooth, quick and assuring, the shifter puts Hurst’s Shelby GT stick-in-sand shifter to absolute shame. Ford also included machined aluminum pedals positioned to facilitate heel and toeing– providing you’re wearing large shoes.

Ford borrowed many of the Shelby GT’s suspension components to liven-up, I mean “improve,” the standard GT’s handling.

The Bullitt’s ride quality sacrifices those extra two-tenths of handling ability to offer some daily usability. The ride of the Mustang Bullitt mimics not the original 1968 movie car, but a 2003 BMW 5-series. The Bullitt bounces dramatically only over the worst patches of interstate.

While not quite perfect, the Mustang GT Bullitt edition comes as close as the current body style allows. The Mustang Bullitt does more than the Shelby GT, with more style and some $6K less wedge. It echoes the original character of not only the movie car but the King of Cool himself. Aside from the tatty interior, the Ford Mustang GT Bullitt is what all Mustangs should be.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/rev...llittt-review/
Old 03-15-2008, 06:18 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

VERY WELL SAID!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I wouldn't buy a Bullitt personally. Comparing the handling performance of a Bullitt vs. a Shelby GT sort of funny, because a Bullitt really isn't anything better than a standard GT with a set of Koni's installed ($700 and better control).

I Bullitt isn't all that exclusive, and it's all show with not a whole lot of extra go. I'd sooner recommend you do what I did, and buy a normal GT. I mean a set of 3.73's isn't much, but with $100 3.55'sI don't think it's really worth it. And you can take the money you saved and have a car even faster and more capable than a Bullitt (which really isn't very special).

Hey, a friend of mine has an SGT. I autocross it, and I win with it. Because of rules we can't really use a "normal" car and hop it up for the class we race. We (and by we I mean he) bought a tool for a job. When I bought my Mustang, I thought the best decision was to spend $24k on a 3.55, Shaker 500 equipped car and add what I wanted.

In the end, at least an SGT is a real Shelby (which is more than I can say for a GT500). It has a Shelby Serial Number, and is "built" by Shelby. A Bullitt is simply another option added a Mustang. Might it be worth a bit more than a standard one down the road? Could well be, but probably not worth what a SGT will be worth. I think the '08 SGT prices are too high. I also think the Bullitt, like the last one in '01 is also overpriced.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bullit verses Shelby GT comparison