Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

shelby gt500's at sticker

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 01:30 PM
BlkSunshine77
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: shelby gt500's at sticker

Just came back from my dealer.
They had an 08 Hardtop GT500 for $47k sticker, after speaking with the salesman,
Dealer markup is $14k. He said they'll let it go for $8k over sticker.

Theives!

They are still sitting on their Shelby GT's ($37k)from MARCH, when I bought my used 06 V6 'vert from them.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:08 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MadManMoon

ORIGINAL: bad1032

30,000.00 mark up at the dealers in southern maryland, he owns 6 dealers in the area.
Is that Waldorf Ford? I laughed at them when I saw their 2 '08 GT500s marked up $30K over. I asked the sales manager what he's been getting, and he said he got $72K for a red with white stripe '08 about a month ago. Given that they've moved quite a few since late-'06, I can only believe 1 of 2 things: either the sales manager is lying about what he's really getting (definitely possible) or there are idiots not willing to look around the country to find a better deal. If you can pay MSRP, even if it costs $3K to have it shipped in a covered trailer, it's STILL a huge savings from what the metro DC dealers are looking for!

BTW, Waldorf Ford is still trying to charge a $5K markup on their 2007 Shelby GTs that aren't sold. Oops!
Alot of the dealerships leave the markup on the window but at this point nobody is selling'07's for more then $5k over MSRP and '08 are not going for more then 10-15k.I auditFord Dealerships so Iknow how much they go for. My friend is in the market for a GT500 and turned down 3K over because it was black and he doesn't want to deal with a black car. That paticular cars window was still asking $70k+. Believe me if you walked in and offered those guystwo grand under MSRP for those '07 Shelby GT's and were for real they would jump.

You guys can't fault the dealership for marking thesevehicles up. They should sell them for what they can get for them. Thats capitalism. You have to realize that this is one of the few places that these dealerships can make money. These specialty vehicles keep these dealerships afloat. Most of the Forddealerships I audit are operating at a loss.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Killbill

Here's my beef with it. Ford produced a 500 hp car in which a middle class person could have purchased. Add 20k to it and only a person that doesn't mind wasting money could buy it. I would say that caters to the hi-end middle class to the wealthy. The majority of Ford's mustang lovers are middle class guys. Why would they allow a dealership to jack the price up that much? Add 20 more and you could have the ZOsick. What do you guys think of the regular Shelby GT's? I would have to say a poor attempt at trying to make a dollar on Shelby's name.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:53 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Again like I said, Ford has to protect its dealerships. Also how can Ford possibly explain to their stock holders that they are selling a car for 45k when in actuality they could get 80k(a year ago), 70k(8 months ago) or 55k now. Ford is losing billions every year and their dealerships are bleeding bad. How can an American possibly go against capitalism, which is what this. Supply and Demand.

Ford Produces XX,XXX GT500'sper year. They can sell all XX,XXX for say 60k. But they choose to sell them for 45K? Huh? Then you have a surplus of demand. So you could produce more, but that would be a huge fix cost commitment and if the demand subsides then they've screwed themselves. Plus pissed off every collector who were told by Ford thatit was a limited production specialty vehicle.

If you want to buy a GT500's for MSRP just wait, they will be there by mid '08, if you look hard and search dealers selling on ebay you can already pretty much get there.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:16 PM
bigdrawz24

i just got a offer for the gt500 in my area for $3000 over MSRP, what do u guys think about that, should i get it? and they are willing to order me one right from flat rock?
Old 01-17-2008, 04:17 PM
bigdrawz24

Another topic, i feel like if i pay this much for a car it will not just sit in the garage, this beast wants to be driven. any thoughts?
Old 01-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Christovich

The problem with your logic is that we are talking about dealer markups and Ford Motor Co. has nothing to do with them, nor do they or the stockholders see any of this money. There isn't anything to explain. If this were the case then Ford would increase the MSRP (which FordMoCo doesn't get this amount either).

What would help save Ford (and the stockholders would appreciate) is if the company sold more vehicles.

I do not have any numbers, but I would be interested to see what total revenue is generated in the long run using the actual amount paid (markups for early buyers and discounts for late buyers) compared to the amount if all were sold at MSRP.

ORIGINAL: 83gtragtop

Again like I said, Ford has to protect its dealerships. Also how can Ford possibly explain to their stock holders that they are selling a car for 45k when in actuality they could get 80k(a year ago), 70k(8 months ago) or 55k now. Ford is losing billions every year and their dealerships are bleeding bad. How can an American possibly go against capitalism, which is what this. Supply and Demand.

Ford Produces XX,XXX GT500'sper year. They can sell all XX,XXX for say 60k. But they choose to sell them for 45K? Huh? Then you have a surplus of demand. So you could produce more, but that would be a huge fix cost commitment and if the demand subsides then they've screwed themselves. Plus pissed off every collector who were told by Ford thatit was a limited production specialty vehicle.

If you want to buy a GT500's for MSRP just wait, they will be there by mid '08, if you look hard and search dealers selling on ebay you can already pretty much get there.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:23 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Christovich

The problem with your logic is that we are talking about dealer markups and Ford Motor Co. has nothing to do with them, nor do they or the stockholders see any of this money. There isn't anything to explain. If this were the case then Ford would increase the MSRP (which FordMoCo doesn't get this amount either).

What would help save Ford (and the stockholders would appreciate) is if the company sold more vehicles.

I do not have any numbers, but I would be interested to see what total revenue is generated in the long run using the actual amount paid (markups for early buyers and discounts for late buyers) compared to the amount if all were sold at MSRP.

ORIGINAL: 83gtragtop

It actually does help Ford alot if they're dealerships make money. First off though many Ford Dealers are private, Ford Motors has a stake inmany others. Ford has a very large Dealer Development program. Ford will take majority ownership(in most cases) in the dealership and when ever the dealership makes money they are required to send 50% of profits to Ford in a dividend payment. With the remainder of the money the dealer is required to pay off a percentage of Fords ownership. Thats why I said I audit Ford Dealers. Normally a private Ford dealer does not require an audit, but because they are partially owned by Ford (public company) all the DD stores require an audit. Ford use to generate lots of revenue from this program and now it is a losing business.

Also obviously the better the dealers do, the more revenue they generate, the bigger the inventory they stock. Because dealers have been struggling, Ford has had to lower the invoice prices on vehicles to widen the dealers profit margin. Ford has to help their dealers because they can not afford to lose key markets, which is what happens when a dealer shuts down.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Christovich

83gt,
Thank you for explaining that. I was under the impression that all dealers were independent of Ford. Do you know what percentage of dealerships are partially owned by Ford?

I would still be interested in seeing a revenue breakdown based on markups/discounts and retail.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:42 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marlon1

too much invested in mine to trade anyway, have 3 grand worth of parts in garage now
just waiting for rest to come in
theres never enough money invested for not trading for a GT500.

Quick Reply: shelby gt500's at sticker