Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

shelby gt 500- 2008

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 06:19 PM
cobra_svt

Default shelby gt 500- 2008

hi guys,

i own a shelby gt 500-08 and i have a couple of questions that i hope any of you could help me with.

i got a 16 psi power pack installed which i got from rpmoutlet.com, it comes with a 16psi pulley, air intake, plugs and a sct livewire. i've got a full jba exhaust system (long tubes) and a ford racing 4.10 gear along with a double plate clutch from spec.

the tune that came with the sct didnt work good so i had to tune the car on a get a custom tune through a program called 'hp'. the car is running great now but i dont know how much hp is my car, i took it to 1 dyno (mustang dyno) and it gave me 449rwhp and then to a 2nd dyno(dyno dynamics) and i got 571rwhp,so i dont know whats going on?

1-i wanna know aprox how hp will the car be?
2-will i be able to beat a tuned z06 (my bro's car)with an exhaust system and air intake?
3-what about the new 2009 skyline stock?
Old 12-01-2008, 06:39 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cobra_svt
hi guys,

i own a shelby gt 500-08 and i have a couple of questions that i hope any of you could help me with.

i got a 16 psi power pack installed which i got from rpmoutlet.com, it comes with a 16psi pulley, air intake, plugs and a sct livewire. i've got a full jba exhaust system (long tubes) and a ford racing 4.10 gear along with a double plate clutch from spec.

the tune that came with the sct didnt work good so i had to tune the car on a get a custom tune through a program called 'hp'. the car is running great now but i dont know how much hp is my car, i took it to 1 dyno (mustang dyno) and it gave me 449rwhp and then to a 2nd dyno(dyno dynamics) and i got 571rwhp,so i dont know whats going on?

1-i wanna know aprox how hp will the car be?
2-will i be able to beat a tuned z06 (my bro's car)with an exhaust system and air intake?
3-what about the new 2009 skyline stock?
ok first things first. the top boost you should get out of the GT500 with the stock S/C is 12-13lbs or about 3-4lbs more than stock. that would be with a 2.6 pulley. now if you are adding the overdrive crank pulley and there claim that of 16lbs. I have to tell you that you are exceeeding the efficiencies of your supercharger and the heat soak is going to kill you.
remember heat is your enemy. as your IAT's increase you will lose Boost thus HP. the eaton supercharger is pretty efficient up to a certain level..after that it falls flat quickly.

1- approx HP with a 2.6 pulley , CAI and custom tune is 530-560 rwhp or over 600 BHP
with your setup you might see spurts of more than that but then heat soak will set in quickly and you will lose power. heck even with jsut the 2.6 pulley etc some have seen that when running WOT quite a bit...
2) how good a driver is your brother? compared to you.....what type of race? his car will outhandle you with ease...traction will be your enemy with that much power as well...so your brother probably has you
3- are you kidding me on the skyline? which one..

please note youa re trying to race 2 supercars in a skyline gtrz and vette zo6...thats not to say you cant beat them..but you better upgrade your suspension and get some of that power to the ground...
Old 12-01-2008, 06:45 PM
distant.soldier
1st Gear Member

I'm only running 11PSI...which is about as much as you can go with just a pulley swap. You can see what kinda RWHP I'm putting down in my sig. Mine is a very conservative tune as it is my daily driver. From the mods you told me...you should be running a little higher than mine...that 571RWHP sounds pretty on the money

As for racing the other two cars...both of them are lighter and more aerodynamic...so it would be difficult, but would come down to how good a driver you are. Even then, you might get them on the straights...but not on the twisties...

Last edited by distant.soldier; 12-01-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:48 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by distant.soldier
I don't think that you're making 16psi...
I'm only running 11PSI...which is about as much as you can go with just a pulley swap. You can see what kinda RWHP I'm putting down in my sig. Mine is a very conservative tune as it is my daily driver. From the mods you told me...you should be running a little higher than mine...that 571RWHP sounds pretty on the money
I think he is basing it on the package that rpmoutlet and their claims of 16lbs of boost with the 2.6 pulley and a 10% overdrive crank pulley...the stock eaton just cant handle that much boost....I like your numbers by the way,..

Last edited by cheftjpeck; 12-01-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Originally Posted by distant.soldier

As for racing the other two cars...both of them are lighter and more aerodynamic...so it would be difficult, but would come down to how good a driver you are. Even then, you might get them on the straights...but not on the twisties...
What part on NY you from?? ...I'm in upstate between Schenectady & Albany...Nice Cobra!
Old 12-01-2008, 07:52 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Don't you guys know that RPM Outlet is not to be spoken on these boards?
They suuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

By the way, I like to see a Z06 going after this 3200lbs Mustang, lol.
Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati and lately Aston Martin all have failed.
Even with their IRS advantage.

I know they're all race cars but I'm sure you can get a GT500 to handle as good as a street Z06. You'd have to give up the comfort of a DD a bit though.

Last edited by pascal; 10-04-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:38 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

If you want huge boost consider the whipple 3.4L and up the boost to 20+ psi or the KB 2.8 mammoth S/C and up the boost as well.......JMO but unless you polish and port the Eaton S/C the 16+ psi will heat soak sooner than later and defeat the purpose for the increased boost.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:18 PM
cobra_svt

Originally Posted by cheftjpeck
ok first things first. the top boost you should get out of the GT500 with the stock S/C is 12-13lbs or about 3-4lbs more than stock. that would be with a 2.6 pulley. now if you are adding the overdrive crank pulley and there claim that of 16lbs. I have to tell you that you are exceeeding the efficiencies of your supercharger and the heat soak is going to kill you.
remember heat is your enemy. as your IAT's increase you will lose Boost thus HP. the eaton supercharger is pretty efficient up to a certain level..after that it falls flat quickly.

1- approx HP with a 2.6 pulley , CAI and custom tune is 530-560 rwhp or over 600 BHP
with your setup you might see spurts of more than that but then heat soak will set in quickly and you will lose power. heck even with jsut the 2.6 pulley etc some have seen that when running WOT quite a bit...
2) how good a driver is your brother? compared to you.....what type of race? his car will outhandle you with ease...traction will be your enemy with that much power as well...so your brother probably has you
3- are you kidding me on the skyline? which one..

please note youa re trying to race 2 supercars in a skyline gtrz and vette zo6...thats not to say you cant beat them..but you better upgrade your suspension and get some of that power to the ground...
cheftjpeck, thanks for the great advice man. just wanna inform u that my crank pulley is the stock pulley and with the rpmoutlet pulley i get 16psi, but when it heats up it drops sometimes to 14 or 13psi. what you consider i should with to tackle the heating problem? get a bigger cooler? is it dangerous for the supercharger?

i also got eibach lowering springs but no upper or lower control arms with nitto 555r tyres.

my bro drives good,not an expert but he drives his car well, he says i'll race u starting from whatever speed i want. not a track race,just a street race.

i also wanna race a skyline gtr 2009 which belongs to my friend, do i stand a chance? note that i will race with him starting from the speed of 60-70kmph not from 0.

i raced a porsche 997 2008 turbo(the one that comes with twin turbo) but not the gt2, we raced from starting from the speed of 60kmph 2nd gear, we were next to each other the whole time untill i shifted to 4th gear thats when i started going ahead of him, by the speed of 245kmph i was ahead of him by a distance of nearly 2 cars only and then i slowed down.

thanks again man.

Last edited by cobra_svt; 12-03-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:51 PM
zporta
5th Gear Member

u should upgrade ur heat exchanger...

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pag...package-1.html
Old 12-03-2008, 04:16 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by cobra_svt

i raced a porsche 997 2008 turbo(the one that comes with twin turbo) but not the gt2, we raced from starting from the speed of 60kmph 2nd gear, we were next to each other the whole time untill i shifted to 4th gear thats when i started going ahead of him, by the speed of 245kmph i was ahead of him by a distance of nearly 2 cars only and then i slowed down.

thanks again man.
See, the S197 platform has potential...
I think they race the GT500 in a GT2 or 3 class. I don't know how good they are doing but you could pick up a few ideas on the mods available for these cars...

Quick Reply: shelby gt 500- 2008