Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

If you own a GT500, but once owned a 05-09 GT, post in here please

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
The mpg was one of the biggest things to get used to. In my 2005 Vortech HO Supercharged Mustang GT I could get anywhere from 17-20 around town and 25-27 on the interstate, and now, as cheft mentioned above, it's 11-13 around town and 20-22 on the interstate.
That's gonna SUCK! I'm so use to having half way decent in town mpg. I agree that would take some getting use to. Until I bought a beater, the weekly fuel bill would be almost double. Ouch!
Old 09-26-2010, 07:29 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
So, my peers in the regular section helped me decide to get away from my GT and buy the GT500.
Hey if you can afford it and really want it, then good for you. Just out of curiosity though, what was the deciding factor between not just modding the hell out of your GT and saving some cash?
Old 09-26-2010, 09:16 PM
awakeinAZ
3rd Gear Member

My GT had an auto and I miss that and the softer ride of the GT over the GT 500.
Neither car was a dailey for me. I am much more paraniod over the gt 500 in a parking lot then I was about the GT. If it were me I would keep the GT for a dailey.
Attached Thumbnails If you own a GT500, but once owned a 05-09 GT, post in here please-trial1.jpg  
Old 09-26-2010, 10:27 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Gt500 as a daily driver ROCKs!! After all it's a car and I want to drive mine as often as possible... That's why I love Florida .... With exception to freaking love bugs... Perfect place for gt500!!!!
Old 09-26-2010, 11:18 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

I pay 464.00/year for insurance (hobby) and today was the first time the car has been on the highway (car is 2 and 1300 miles on odo). I cruised at 57 mph and got 8.7L per 100 kilometers. That's roughly 30mpg Canadian.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
Hey if you can afford it and really want it, then good for you. Just out of curiosity though, what was the deciding factor between not just modding the hell out of your GT and saving some cash?
because I know me, there wouldn't be any cash saved. I would have spent just as much modding the GT than if I were to just buy the GT500. By the time I bought a forged engine, Whipple, and 6 speed transmission....I might have well just trade for the GT500.

Agree, or not?
Old 09-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Snakebite64
I pay 464.00/year for insurance (hobby) and today was the first time the car has been on the highway (car is 2 and 1300 miles on odo). I cruised at 57 mph and got 8.7L per 100 kilometers. That's roughly 30mpg Canadian.
Now that's more like it! Nice!
Old 09-27-2010, 04:01 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
because I know me, there wouldn't be any cash saved. I would have spent just as much modding the GT than if I were to just buy the GT500. By the time I bought a forged engine, Whipple, and 6 speed transmission....I might have well just trade for the GT500.

Agree, or not?
Really depends what you owe vs. what they will give you. I know with my mods + cost of car I am in GT500 territory also. But at the same time I had the fun of building it, and am lighter / faster. I am also near my limit without dumping considerably more money in it though... lol. It probably all comes out in the wash you know?
Old 09-27-2010, 04:25 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
Really depends what you owe vs. what they will give you. I know with my mods + cost of car I am in GT500 territory also. But at the same time I had the fun of building it, and am lighter / faster. I am also near my limit without dumping considerably more money in it though... lol. It probably all comes out in the wash you know?

You make a valid point JD....you are lighter and faster than a STOCK GT500...but like with any car...you can always build it faster...I was in your boat...I did what you did...almost same pattern all the way...with saleen s/c etc...other mods etc etc...but you know what...still wasn't enough...so I went ahead...got out of it what I put into it less a couple grand for using my 05 for a couple years and went ahead and sunk into a stronger starting point with the gt500 engine etc. now my car has the potential of and my goal of getting to 650--700 rwhp with little tweaks....(New sc etc) so with that being said...I can relate with someone wanting to just build up their GT and make it faster and think that is awesome...but I also have experienced the gt500 and prefer building it so much more...I feel a little more comfortable adding power to it and not fearing that something MIGHT (I strongly say might) go boom as I increase the power....lets all face it if its just about building a faster car...then get the cheapest base car you can get and build it the way you want to....however that does GET really $$$$ expensive...stroking engine, forging internals, power adders, etc etc etc....but you do start with a cheaper start...so it really depends on what you want...if you are looking for a track car....buy an older body style...build the heck out of it and go and break off 9 second or better 1/4 miles.....but if you are looking for a street machine to enhance....then you cant go wrong with the GT, new 5.0....or gt500.... it all depends on what you want...
Old 09-27-2010, 06:47 PM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

I know I'm a little late into the conversation but I think I'm well qualified for this! I owned an 05 V6, an 07 GT, and now have an 08 GT500.

I got the 07 with the intention of blown fury and mayhem, but after pricing out costs for what I would REALLY want (forged block, turbo/sc, fuel upgrades, exhaust, suspension, this list goes on and on) I would be as much or MORE than a GT500 would cost.

Found a slightly used (1,700 miles, 2 months old) for $8K below sticker. Since then I have added a considerable amount. Now I have 670RWHP...my insurance costs me about $10 more a MONTH (but I also got increased coverage for the more expensive toy), and I still get roughly 17-18 MPG CITY, and around 20-22 MPG HWY. I usually drive pretty calm and conservative, but do throw in a little "spirited" driving. I might see my MPG drop to 15 or 16 if I'm romping a lot. I drove my GT more aggressively on a regular basis and got the same city, slightly higher hwy.

Your MPG is going to REALLY depend on your driving habits. I like to have fun in my car, but I don't feel the need to show off as much so I'm more selective about my spirited events. Realistically you can get to the ~650RWHP level for around $6K, and used GT500s are going for 30K's.

Also, when it's all said and done...there were more GTs made in 2005 alone than the total number of GT500s & KRs made in 07-09. And the car will always be a Shelby, always be an SVT.

The only late model mustang that I would want MORE than a GT500 would be a Saleen Extreme. Forged 5.0L engine, supercharged...620 HP, saleen suspension and looks, extremely rare, highly collectable. Downsides: they sticker for $79,995! And with their setup, you could get a little more out of it...but it won't take much to max it out. And if you REALLY want more, it gets retarded expensive.

Last edited by distantsoldier; 09-27-2010 at 06:57 PM.

Quick Reply: If you own a GT500, but once owned a 05-09 GT, post in here please