Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Dealer is asking to buy back Shelby

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 07:44 PM
FormerNYer

Default Dealer is asking to buy back Shelby

Is anyone else getting these letters? The letter says that they want to fill their customer demand for used GT500's.

I have never heard of this happening to anyone, for any car.

I wouldn't mind if they were offering a decent trade-in deal for an '11, but all they are saying is that the trade-in will go towards their 'other' vehicles.

Should I just toss this letter?
Old 10-22-2010, 07:53 PM
LB75

Toss the letter. I've received several of those letters from dealers about my F150.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:55 PM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

They have already filled their customers demand for 08 GT500s, you and yours, now they are trying to fill the demand, or create one, for the new GT500s.
Let me translate the letter for you "We would like to fill our stock holders demand for more money. Trade in your slightly old gt500 for a new one so we can extend your payments!"
Old 10-22-2010, 08:05 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Throw them away, when you bought the car they put you on a random mailing list, I got one today offering me $309/month on a lease for a 2011 V6, I have a 2010 model
Old 10-22-2010, 08:49 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

we made 1000s off you when you bought your car, now that you have taken the hit in depriciation, we would love it if you would sell it back to us for less then its worth, so that we can sell it to some other dumb sucker and make 1,000s off that car again, and then sell you another car to replace your perfectly good one, that we will also make 1,000s of dollars off you again.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Waid Here

Originally Posted by JDWalton
we made 1000s off you when you bought your car, now that you have taken the hit in depriciation, we would love it if you would sell it back to us for less then its worth, so that we can sell it to some other dumb sucker and make 1,000s off that car again, and then sell you another car to replace your perfectly good one, that we will also make 1,000s of dollars off you again.
hahahahaha...

I am laughing to cover the hole in my wallet...so true sir!
Old 10-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Vicious GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MoneyShot
Let me translate the letter for you "We would like to fill our stock holders demand for more money. Trade in your slightly old gt500 for a new one so we can extend your payments!"
LOL!! Yes. That is an accurate translation.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:16 AM
Cobra Drifter
4th Gear Member

Yup sales gimmick 100%
Old 10-23-2010, 08:03 AM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

I'll cosign with everyone else. That's nothing but pure garbage not worth the light reflected off it to make it visible! Dealerships pull that ALL THE TIME. I've gotten plenty myself even on brand new cars. One in particular stands out to me. It was a few years ago. I got one from a dealership saying they had a customer interested in my car. I called their bluff and asked them to put me in contact with the customer, and we'd work out a side deal because I didn't want to get ripped off by them. Only thing I got was a bunch of "umm, errr, ahhh." LOL!
Old 10-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Vicious GT
1st Gear Member

Don't take this the wrong way. On occasion dealers WILL genuinely do this with cars that have low production numbers. I've had a sales manager local Acura dealership call me to see what I'd take, cash, for my NSX after I'd had it in for service.

Whether or not that legitimately carries over to 'special edition' type cars like the Cobra or Shelby, I can't say. I got one of the letters from the Ford dealer a few weeks after I got the Shelby home. What made this particularly funny was the notion they would want this car back after it sat in their show room for almost a year and they begged me to buy it.

Quick Reply: Dealer is asking to buy back Shelby