Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Ford Racing 113mm CAI w/ AMSOIL replacement filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Default Ford Racing 113mm CAI w/ AMSOIL replacement filter

Here it is guys, just as promised. Allow me to apologize ahead of time for the terrible quality pics, I'm currently limited to my cell camera....and it sucks!

I have the Ford Racing 113mm cold air intake on my Shelby. I wasn't satisfied with the standard oiled cotton media (K&N type) filter for two reasons.

1. It looks dull and dirty all the time.

2. Not the best media to filter small microns of dirt. It's common to see higher ppm of silicon in UOAs when using filters of this type. You have to clean and oil them just right. Oil it too much and you contaminate your MAF. Oil it too little and you increase the chance of small microns of dirt getting into your engine.

So I decided I would take a different approach and use something I knew was proven to work.

AMSOIL EAAU6080 Air Filter

Nano Fiber synthetic media is far superior to old school oiled cotton gauze.

Here are those terrible pics I was telling you about.

Standard K&N type Ford Racing filter installed

Size and appearance comparison side by side. The new AMSOIL filters blue color really pops with my Vista Blue Shelby, and I love the addition of the chrome top plate with laser etched AMSOIL logo. The filters are so close in size, I can't really tell the difference.

Here is the new filter installed, and it fits like a glove! Looks so much better than the previous filter that was installed.

AMSOIL's price is 68.05, but you can save some cash by joining their preferred customer program. I only paid 51.00 plus shipping. It was worth every penny to gain better looks, and better filter performance.

Preferred Customer

The best part, NO OIL required! You can even clean it with low pressure air or a shop vac. Reuse it over and over, and AMSOIL rates them at 100,000 miles or 4 years lifespan.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:49 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

question though...will it stay blue?? reason I ask is I too own a vista blue car and have been replacing my filter with the one Justin at vmp sells (cheaper than fords) but it too fades quickly and turns greyish white no matter how clean due obviously the oil discipation....

looks great...would love to have this as an alternative if it stays blue...
Old 12-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cheftjpeck
question though...will it stay blue?? reason I ask is I too own a vista blue car and have been replacing my filter with the one Justin at vmp sells (cheaper than fords) but it too fades quickly and turns greyish white no matter how clean due obviously the oil discipation....

looks great...would love to have this as an alternative if it stays blue...
This filters media is naturally blue, and is oil free. It should not fade like a cotton gauze oil filled media will. Unless you placed this filter in direct sunlight, it will not change color.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:24 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

AMSOIL makes a sock to go overtop as well that is water resistant fo some extra security. And that prefered customer deal is absolutely great. The membership paid for itself in 1 order for me. Now I pay the same for the best oil made as I used to for quality Dino oil. AMSOIL for life
Old 12-31-2010, 06:04 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I took out the cold air box...installed the big bast*** au4510 Amsoil air filter...it barely fits LOL...I have cut out the brake vents and I have run 2.5 inch hoses into the engine compartment...the drivers side hose comes up directly under the air filter..I am getting tremendous outside air flow through the engine compartment...along with a filter almost double the size of the JLT...
Old 12-31-2010, 06:39 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lifter583
I took out the cold air box...installed the big bast*** au4510 Amsoil air filter...it barely fits LOL...I have cut out the brake vents and I have run 2.5 inch hoses into the engine compartment...the drivers side hose comes up directly under the air filter..I am getting tremendous outside air flow through the engine compartment...along with a filter almost double the size of the JLT...
Please post pictures of your setup.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:48 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
This filters media is naturally blue, and is oil free. It should not fade like a cotton gauze oil filled media will. Unless you placed this filter in direct sunlight, it will not change color.
Thank you so much for the great tip...this will save me considerably 2 times a year replacement as I have been doing (or thereabouts when faded etc) now I can clean and reuse..going to buy 2 of them so I have one off so when I clean always have a dry one ready to go.....thanks again...YOU ROCK!!!!!
Old 01-01-2011, 10:00 AM
WildAzCat
2nd Gear Member

Nice looking filter. I like that it is oil-less and stays blue. Good discount too. Thanks
Old 01-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
Please post pictures of your setup.

OK I hope these pics will give you an idea...I had to pull the cold air box to get the filter in...then just under the front of the filter I set the tube (screened the end) to blow directly up...the tube is clamped to the existing plastic vent (look under the car to see it) It took a 2-1/4 in hole saw and a little work to cut out the holes...I installed chromed bezels…
Attached Thumbnails Ford Racing 113mm CAI w/ AMSOIL replacement filter-air-filter-001.jpg   Ford Racing 113mm CAI w/ AMSOIL replacement filter-air-filter-002.jpg   Ford Racing 113mm CAI w/ AMSOIL replacement filter-air-filter-003.jpg   Ford Racing 113mm CAI w/ AMSOIL replacement filter-air-filter-004.jpg   Ford Racing 113mm CAI w/ AMSOIL replacement filter-air-filter-005.jpg  

Last edited by Lifter583; 01-01-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

That's one big filter. Thanks for the pics.

Quick Reply: Ford Racing 113mm CAI w/ AMSOIL replacement filter