Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

What's the best oil for YOUR Shelby, answers within.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 07:17 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
When it comes to all of this info...again from a layman's perspective...is Mobil1 and other synthetics like it crap? This is a serious question because anymore it's not that motors are failing from what I see, it's the stuff hanging off of the motor that takes a dirt nap.
Mobil 1 and other off the shelf lubricants are not all crap, they are simply misleading. You think you are buying a true synthetic, when in fact you are buying highly refined petroleum. I don't care WHO says group III+ hydrocracked petroleum is just as good as a group IV/V blend, they are lying.

Until the new GTL (Gas To Liquid) process proves to me without a doubt it's "expected" abilities, I stand by my statement.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:07 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
Mobil 1 and other off the shelf lubricants are not all crap, they are simply misleading. You think you are buying a true synthetic, when in fact you are buying highly refined petroleum. I don't care WHO says group III+ hydrocracked petroleum is just as good as a group IV/V blend, they are lying.

Until the new GTL (Gas To Liquid) process proves to me without a doubt it's "expected" abilities, I stand by my statement.
Cool. Not trying to paint you into a corner. By your phrasing, Im assuming that group III+ hydrocracked is like the Mobil 1 and other OTS and the group IV/V blends are true synthetics? Are true synthetics AMSoil, Red Line and the Royal Purple stuff?

My GT500 is an 07 with 1200 miles on it. I don't know if it even has the original oil in it or if it was changed over that time period with any frequency. That being said, I plan on changing the oil in it when I pick it up Tuesday. Should I be doing anything special? Like maybe run that for 1000 then change it? Avoid full synthetics in case it was what us common folk call standard oil?

Just leaning on your expertise and experience. I want this car to have a long healthy life.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Switch to true synthetics now, and never look back. Using them, you only have to change your oil once a year.

Amsoil Signature Series is my #1 choice.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:23 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

I have used Castrol Syntec 5/50 LAST COUPLE OF OIL CHANGES AND it worked out fine!
Old 07-22-2012, 07:07 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2cokeman
I have used Castrol Syntec 5/50 LAST COUPLE OF OIL CHANGES AND it worked out fine!
This thread isn't for "fine" or "satisfactory" results, it's for no compromise protection.

Did you send in samples to the lab for oil analysis?

If not, how do you know that a better lubricant isn't available?
Old 07-22-2012, 07:23 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

5w50 around here is very hard to find, Ford and then hours of searching before you can even get Castrol, thats it
Old 07-22-2012, 07:25 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

That's why you step away from the 5W-50 recommendation and use a true synthetic 10W-40. Royal Purple or Amsoil fits the bill nicely.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:44 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

May be a stupid question but are all these brands FULL synthetic?
I mean you do HAVE to have full synthetic in the GT500 do to the 5.4L V8 Supercharged Engine correct?
Old 07-28-2012, 07:46 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
May be a stupid question but are all these brands FULL synthetic?
I mean you do HAVE to have full synthetic in the GT500 do to the 5.4L V8 Supercharged Engine correct?
You'd be surprised what's being called "Full Synthetic" these days. It's a lie.

Mobil 1, Castrol, Motorcraft, Pennzoil, and others use hydrocracked petroleum. It's highly refined petroleum blended with true synthetics, not 100% pure true synthetic. Yet, on the outside of the bottle "Full Synthetic" is printed. I do not approve of this, and in no other country is this tolerated except within the United States.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
You'd be surprised what's being called "Full Synthetic" these days. It's a lie.

Mobil 1, Castrol, Motorcraft, Pennzoil, and others use hydrocracked petroleum. It's highly refined petroleum blended with true synthetics, not 100% pure true synthetic. Yet, on the outside of the bottle "Full Synthetic" is printed. I do not approve of this, and in no other country is this tolerated except within the United States.
I am running Schaeffer Supreme 9000 5/50 racing oil, will be running an analyst on it at the end of summer when I change it out...

Quick Reply: What's the best oil for YOUR Shelby, answers within.