Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > S197 Shelby Section
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
lespah80
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Default GT500 - clutch TSB questions (Yes, I've done my homework)

Hey guys, I have a question pertaining to the imminent clutch issue hanging over every GT500 owner's head. I have an 07 w/ 3300 miles, everything is fine I think. Doesn't show any of the tell-tale signs of clutch problems, except, whenever I accelerate after shifting and the clutch is disengaged I can still hear the hissing noise. Any ideas?

Also, I'm trying to determine the best course of action for the potential TSB. Is this issue not covered under my remaining powertrain warranty? If not, instead of shelling out the 6,000 bucks for the fix, would it be better to have a 2010 clutch put in now? Thanks guys
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
lespah80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Shelby GT500

Hissing is quite normal, not every GT500 will have a problem, I know several people that have put on hard miles as well with no issues.
#740 of 1278 {Only 178 Produced With Crimson Red Leather}
FRPP CAI with PROCAL Tune
X-Pipe with FR500S KR Mufflers
Steeda LCA's & UCA
Underrated at 540hp & 510tq
Carroll Shelby Signed Dash Plaque
2cokeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Vehicle: 2006GT/Gone but not forgotten/2008 Shelby GT500 now!

Hissing is ONLY normal when releasing or pressing in the clutch, or feathering it. (meaning in between the clutch in and out and you are doing it tslow).
Read the TSB.

If you have this problem when the clutch is NOT being used,
you need the TSB done. The other symptoms sometimes will not appear until the damage is bad.

BTW.. the actual source of the problem is the flywheel and it ends up damaging the clutch. You must get a whole new clutch and flywheel assembly if this is the problem.

BTW. feathering the clutch is supposed to make the problem worse faster. Learn not to feather the clutch unless you get the new clutch and flywheel
Dont wreck the car because you suddenly burst forward either. Learn to control it without feathering. If you dont have the problem now and feather it alot... you could get the problem.
The problem really comes from feathering and the surface area overheating during feathering.

2008 Shelby GT500-Black/Charcoal Stripes

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 06-22-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Blacksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
BIGPHIL
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ford Mustang GT Premium

Do you have a link to this TSB?...kinda curious to read it.

Check out my garage for mods
BIGPHIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:20 AM   #5
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Vehicle: 2006GT/Gone but not forgotten/2008 Shelby GT500 now!

It is
TSB 08-5-10

I don't have it personally but you can find it on google.

2008 Shelby GT500-Black/Charcoal Stripes
Blacksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:48 AM   #6
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Shelby GT500

The car does not burst forward, it will creep when the clutch is pushed in and throttle is applied, there have been no bursting forward as you say reported that I have ever read about, Hissing when releasing the clutch and clutch chatter is unfortunatly normal for these dual disc clutches.
#740 of 1278 {Only 178 Produced With Crimson Red Leather}
FRPP CAI with PROCAL Tune
X-Pipe with FR500S KR Mufflers
Steeda LCA's & UCA
Underrated at 540hp & 510tq
Carroll Shelby Signed Dash Plaque

Last edited by 2cokeman; 06-23-2011 at 06:50 AM.
2cokeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:53 AM   #7
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 Black GT,08 Black GT500, 09 Metallic Silver V6 (wife's car)

Just turned over 9k with mine...no problems yet

There is NO problem that can't be solved by the simple application of more Horsepower!!
Lifter583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #8
lespah80
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT

I have read the TSB, which is what starts to worry me, as this hissing sound occurs now when I am accelerating in gear with clutch pedal fully out. I daily drive this car, and my worry is, if I can fix it now to prevent damage to the tranny/other components, is it worth putting in the 2010 clutch? Or should I ride it out
lespah80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 Black GT,08 Black GT500, 09 Metallic Silver V6 (wife's car)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespah80 View Post
I have read the TSB, which is what starts to worry me, as this hissing sound occurs now when I am accelerating in gear with clutch pedal fully out. I daily drive this car, and my worry is, if I can fix it now to prevent damage to the tranny/other components, is it worth putting in the 2010 clutch? Or should I ride it out
I am driving mine and really not worried about it...when it goes out...it goes out...I have a new Spec Stage 3+ sitting in the box and I will have the guys pop it in when the time comes...

There is NO problem that can't be solved by the simple application of more Horsepower!!
Lifter583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
BIGPHIL
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ford Mustang GT Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespah80 View Post
...is it worth putting in the 2010 clutch? Or should I ride it out
I'm not sure how much the 2010 clutch costs, but I would just go aftermarket if I were you. Spec 3+ or....McLeod RST because somebody else will say it if I dont. I vote for the Spec (after a few issues with several RST's which you can read about on this forum if you look through my posts). You can find kits that come with a billet steel flywheel and clutch for probably less than you get a factory 2010 clutch for. I have a McLeod steel flywheel and the Spec 3+ clutch on my car with the TR6060 and it feels perfect...just like stock.

Check out my garage for mods

Last edited by BIGPHIL; 06-23-2011 at 09:55 AM.
BIGPHIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:53 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2008, 2009, 500, clutch, ford, gt, gt500, mustang, recall, replacement, shelby, shudder, special, tsb, warranty