Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Shelby 5.4L Versus Roush supercharged 5.0L

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 09:42 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Sorry to read about your dealership issues.. Sounds like a holes.. In my opinion though I wouldn't make my decision of what platform to drive based on a crappy dealer or 2.. I for one had great luck buying mine.. When I bought my 08 all dealers were having 5-10k adm... But I got mine for $500 below msrp.. My dealer was a little pompous at first too but it was easy to dig through the bs... Good luck though..
Old 10-25-2011, 09:55 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i am not a Shelby guy. i am a GT guy. mostly bc i dont have too much money to spend.
so i mod a little at a time, what i can afford without spending the mortgage.
i love my GT, as it sits now, it makes about the same HP as a stock 07 GT 500, and i like that.
but, the GT500 is a better Mustang all around. i do not doubt that for a second.
i would love to have a GT500 or a 03-04 Cobra, but circimstances were that i got a GT.
i am saying this to illustrate that i am not just a Shelby lover and just love the GT500 over a GT, bc i dont.
what i am saying is that the GT500 is just a better car, and can handle more power and abuse than the stock GT.

salesmen at dealerships sell cars, that is their job.
they are not racers, or modders, they sell cars.
seems like you knew the answers to the questions you asked, but wanted to prove the salesmen were less knowledgable than you.
seems like you had your mind set on getting a GT, no matter what.
good luck with the GT.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:04 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
seems like you knew the answers to the questions you asked, but wanted to prove the salesmen were less knowledgable than you.
seems like you had your mind set on getting a GT, no matter what.
good luck with the GT.
I was asking the service manager rather than a salesman. I wasn't trying to prove anything. I asked the question because I wanted to see if he would make any effort to answer my "other" questions since I was interested in buying a car. The reason I made an issue of it was that he made no effort to get me any answers to "any" questions he could have answered if he had wanted to make any effort... that's my point! If he had said, "I don't know, but I'll try to point you towards the info." I would have been fine with that, but to tell a person trying to spend $50K with his company that they don't get any information except part numbers either means he doesn't care about customers, or he's too lazy be a service manager. I think he just didn't want to be bothered! As to salesmen... I don't expect them to know much about their products from past experience! If I made a living selling cars... I would use my spare time to crack a manual & learn something about what I'm selling rather than to just try "selling techniques" to push people into what you have on the lot!

Question: How many auto salespeople have you met that seemed to really take the time to learn about the products they sell? If you've met many, you're doing better than I! Buying a car shouldn't have to be "serve yourself" because salespeople are too lazy to do anything but say, "What would it take to get you to buy today?"

Apologies to any good salesperson who actually makes an effort that's reading this, but I bet you know the kind of "lean against the wall" lazy salesperson I'm talking about!

Last edited by Mr. D; 10-26-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:06 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

So in conclusion.. Your dilemma now has little to due with car and now about crappy salesmen you met...alrighty then... I think maybe we could move this outta tech and over to off topic ...
Old 10-26-2011, 08:08 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Litlle to do not due.. LOL
Old 10-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cheftjpeck
Litlle to do not due.. LOL
Geez! I'm a retired English/Government/Biology teacher... & even I don't "due" that to people's posts!
Old 10-26-2011, 05:47 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Geez! I'm a retired English/Government/Biology teacher... & even I don't "due" that to people's posts!
It's ok.. Its my own post/mistake I'm correcting..
Old 10-27-2011, 12:43 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cheftjpeck
It's ok.. Its my own post/mistake I'm correcting..
Sorry... guess I wasn't paying enough attention! I was defending you against yourself! Duh!

So getting back to the subject of the thread... I'm still not totally clear on why you "specifically" think the 5.4L is a better engine choice. What I've gotten so far... correct me if I'm wrong... is the 5.4L has forged pistons, rods & crank. Certainly that is a stronger construction if you are going to push the engine up to 700 HP... so I get why it's better for you, but I'm wondering if the 5.0L isn't a better choice if you are going to stay with the 540 HP Roush supercharger setup. I'm finding it's not always easy even getting 460 HP to the pavement. I've found you don't want to hear the supercharger when its raining... unless you like seeing your tailights coming around at 80 MPH!

Am I right in assuming the 2013 is basically a 5.4L bored out to 5.8L with a more efficient supercharger? As an old Chevy guy I can tell you that boring out the same block sometimes has it's downside... such as cooling! The old Chevy 283 still cools better & runs more consistently than the 327's... but of course we liked the HP increase! I love more HP, but I'm wondering if I really care about any more than the 540 HP of a supercharged 5.0L. The Coyote sounds like a more sophiscated design than the 5.4L. Frankly, I think they'd be smart to put a Supercharged 5.0L with a forged bottom end in the Shelby as a engine choice! I suppose that would kill the Boss 302 which is "an expensive non starter" for my money after having owned a supercharged engine! Supercharged engines run like grandma's Mustang until you put your foot down! More bang for the buck than a Boss 302! If I had any sense... I'd just keep what I've got at 27.5 MPG... but I get bored after awhile with the same car!

I kept the same wife for 47 years! LOL

Last edited by Mr. D; 10-27-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:58 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Great points... I too would be concerned about the 5.4 to 5.8 etc for similar reasons.. And yes 540 COULD be enough for you... If it is then that is awesome for sure ..I bought my 08
gt500 after selling my 05 mustang GT with
heavy mods including supercharged ; etc etc
etc with over 450rwhp etc.. I bought my gt500
thinking as allot have.. I would leave stock and not mod.. I thought man I don't need more than 445rwhp etc...then I caught it... That dreaded mod bug and 3 years later a just a few mods I am where I am.... If you can do without all that modding and seriously just stop at a level and say.. Hey I'm good ... Then do it... To me it was man I have to just get to 550 Rwhp.. Then 600 and I'll be fine
So....now at over 750 hp I think I'm done... But who knows.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:06 PM
5.ohhhhh

onederful100 has a lot of good point about the gt500. it is an overall better mustang and i have the 2011 5.0 myself but i would rather have the gt500 and i didn't buy it because i simply could not afford to spend the extra 10 grand so i started looking for a 2010 model because it had the iron block and i figured it be better because you can probably crank out more power without worrying about anything breaking. regardless if you can afford to buy a gt500 go for it, it better all around and end of the day its a gt500, its hold so much legacy and heritage, and you can crank a lot more power in the end then you will with a coyote 5.0. And if your concered about prices look for them on bay and autotrader and just bring in the ad with you to the dealer and tel them to match it, thats what my friend did when he went to go buy his shelby, he ended up saving 5k of the sticker which was 53,xxx

Quick Reply: Shelby 5.4L Versus Roush supercharged 5.0L