Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Shelby 5.4L Versus Roush supercharged 5.0L

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 02:39 PM
thewheelman
2nd Gear Member

I may be just making numbers up out of the air here, but what most 500 fans will tell you is that the 5.0 with the s/c may be up to say, 80% of it's potential when it's within 10 hp of the 5.4. On the other hand the 5.4 stone stock us at like 50% of it's potential. Spend the same money on the MOTOR (not the whole car) and I think you'll find the 5.4 GT 500 a much better project. BTW, I love mine stone stock with "merely" 500 ponies under the hood.....
Old 11-01-2011, 02:55 PM
BlackShelby

I believe that the super snake built on a GT500 5.4 Liter is over 700HP. So adding another 150 hp does not seem to hurt the engine. I think that might be pushing it on a GT to achieve the same amount of HP. I could be wrong and am quite a bit, if I am wrong please let me know. But let me down gently, something only a Ford dealer can't do according to Mr. D.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

You'll never hit 700hp with a GT500 or a 5.0 and have an intact warranty. If you want to keep it stock until the warranty is done then that's another matter. Just don't understand why people who want the big power numbers concern themselves with a silly warranty that doesn't apply to them.

The modded 5.0 with the automatic + roush tvs will be a more consistent car than the modded Shelby. The Shelby probably has a bit more potential to go faster but it will typically be driver limited mainly due to the manual transmission.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:39 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackShelby
I believe that the super snake built on a GT500 5.4 Liter is over 700HP. So adding another 150 hp does not seem to hurt the engine. I think that might be pushing it on a GT to achieve the same amount of HP. I could be wrong and am quite a bit, if I am wrong please let me know. But let me down gently, something only a Ford dealer can't do according to Mr. D.
I agree, I wouldn't trust a 5.0L at 700 HP for a regular driver. If I had to have 700 HP it would be with a 5.4L! My thought is that the 5.0L at 540 HP is warranteed by Roush, so it's probably not a hand grenade if driven sensibly! My 4.6L is supposed to be 467 HP at latest Roush reports & it seems very sound & reliable. It's really is close to all the HP you can use regularly... but more HP is always interesting!
Old 11-02-2011, 03:04 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
there are a few SC's that will maintain your factory warranty, the Roush TVS is not one of them.
the M90 is, so is whipple non-IC. if installed by Ford.

i agree with cheftjpeck, he's going to get the Coyote 5.0 no matter what.
funny how he's in the Shelby section arguing that a GT is better.
Now let's not get defensive! Nobody's knocking your Shelby or saying a GT is better! This isn't a "Whose is bigger contest"! I'm only kicking around the comparison to see if I've got the facts straight! Everybody should have what they like, but Carroll Shelby or Ford doesn't pay my bills! As to the Roush affect on warranty, some Ford dealers would disagree with you. I believe I am correct also in stating that legal precedent puts the burden of proof on the manufacturer when they deny a warranty. They cannot say, "You put on a supercharger so now we don't have to repair your electric windows!" My local stealership is barely in business because of a negative attitude & most buy their cars out of town! So far, I have found when I try to even discuss a Shelby that dealerships are much more difficult to deal with! They seem to be waiting for that anxious "lay down" customer they can charge full list price or more! They also have no interest in an order for a Shelby unless you load it up with every option known to man to increase their overall markup! That's one of the reasons I'd consider a 5.0L GT with a supercharger as an option!

Last edited by Mr. D; 11-02-2011 at 03:08 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:00 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Either choice is going to be lot of fun and a nice ride to be sure. I think all anyone is trying to say is that the GT500 is the nicer and more robust of the two options. But if the Roush gets you what you want and it's less expensive, then just smile and go for it.

Keep in mind though, that the GT500 does provide a more robust package for the extra money.

Enjoy!!!
Old 11-02-2011, 04:07 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Now let's not get defensive! Nobody's knocking your Shelby or saying a GT is better! This isn't a "Whose is bigger contest"! I'm only kicking around the comparison to see if I've got the facts straight! Everybody should have what they like, but Carroll Shelby or Ford doesn't pay my bills! As to the Roush affect on warranty, some Ford dealers would disagree with you. I believe I am correct also in stating that legal precedent puts the burden of proof on the manufacturer when they deny a warranty. They cannot say, "You put on a supercharger so now we don't have to repair your electric windows!" My local stealership is barely in business because of a negative attitude & most buy their cars out of town! So far, I have found when I try to even discuss a Shelby that dealerships are much more difficult to deal with! They seem to be waiting for that anxious "lay down" customer they can charge full list price or more! They also have no interest in an order for a Shelby unless you load it up with every option known to man to increase their overall markup! That's one of the reasons I'd consider a 5.0L GT with a supercharger as an option!
I'm not getting defensive, and you can't knock my Shelby, bc i dont have one.

you are refferring to the The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
and it is true that the burden of proof lies with Ford having to prove that a mod was the cause of a problem.
but it is common knowledge for a long time that the Roush TVS SC does not retain the Ford drivetrain warranty.
the non-IC Whipple and roushcharger (m90) does maintain the Ford warranty.
adding a SC is not a small bolt on like a CAI, or axle backs.

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...---w-Tune.html

stage3 is a Roush speciallty shop.
check out the part about the warranty.
it does not maintain the factory warranty. Roush takes over the warranty, its a limited warranty.
try figure out what that means.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

The 5.4L engine in the GT500 leaves much more room for growth.
All forged motor too.

The 5.4 will handle more boost and even though the price is more initially the mods
that you can add for BIG horsepower are MINUTE compared to the cost of Coyote mods.
You can switch pulley's in the GT500 and CAI for a good 100HP gain or more just from those mods!

Plus the lower compression is much better on the engine for supercharging as far as safety for the engine. I am not a person that would want to take the time to forge my 5.0 before I could make big boost.

Plus you can get a used GT500 for the same price or even less than a new loaded 5.0. We got our 08 GT500 with only 3800 mi. on it for less than a new 5.0!
I would get the GT500 without blinking an eye.

Plus the resale will be better if you keep her in good shape.
And the Shelby is a special Mustang while even thought the 5.0 is great, it's
still a GT in the end. Even though it's the best GT so far.
I say Shelby GT500 ALL THE WAY.

I don't like the problems the 5.0 has been reporting either.
Tranny probs, and big problems with modding have shown up enough to make me steer away from it.
At least for a year or two until they work out the problems.
If you do mod your 5.0 and you get a 8 piston pop, I guarantee that Mag act is NOT going to help you because
you wont have the cash to fight Ford in lawyers. They will blow your *** off and void your warranty. Then you would have to fork over
MAJOR cash for a lawyer, and there are no guarantees that you would win. That is the bottom line truth.
Whether the act pertains to this or not.

And the ROUSH warranty is NOT as good as a Ford factory warranty.
It does not act as long. If it's not a new ROUSH, you are probably looking at only a year warranty on the supercharger.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 11-04-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Food for thought:
For, $1600-1800 bucks (forget the vendor) there is a COMPLETE forged 5.0L kit. THAT is CHEAP!

I AM going to knock Shelby's (NOT Shelby OWNERS!). I'm not afraid.

I'd go w/ the 5.0 GT. The only cars w/ transmission issues where 2011 cars. I haven't read or heard a SINGLE complaint from a 2012 owner. #8 piston failures where a fault of the tuning companies not fully understanding this new computer's capabilities....as far as I can recall, it's all but 100% solved. It's a LOT cheaper, and, depending on the manufacturer of your S/C, you CAN get a warranty (I think it was Roush that offers 36month/36K miles). SHELBY's cost WAY too much IMHO. They are a status symbol and as far as I'm concerned, you're paying for Carroll Shelby's name, some off the shelf Ford Racing parts....(Yes, they are almost ALL available through FRPP, S/C as well), gauwdy (in my opinion) leather striped seats, ohhhh....and the badges and vinal stripes, can't forget those. I didn't even LOOK at the 5-6 Shelby's they had at the dealer....when I could easily afforded one over my GT.

Quick comparo via ebay for simplicity: 2012 GT500, running avg.....$50-53K....That's the buy it now, not including ttl. (Some are getting up way OVER $60K)
2012 GT 5.0 manual, average is about $32K...(This is option dependant. High optioned cars can get up into the $38k range)
So....you're looking at, BEFORE ttl....just the asking price, about $20K difference for a NEW CAR. Think about it. For $20k in modifications, I could easily have forged 800+hp 5.0 GT if I wanted, and the only people that would know it would possibly be my tuner, myself, and anyone else I chose to tell. Your Shelby.....you're advertising what you have 100% of the time. (I like being a little bit of a sleeper, and it'll keep your insurance rates down too!)

Is the GT the fastest production car on the planet? No. But it sure could be. 400+ crank HP ain't NOTHING to laugh about from a 302cid N/A stock motor....that gets better than 20mpg mixed.

I seen a few folks say that the 5.4L is a better platform for more power. IDK.....Have you looked at what some of these shops are doing w/ the 5.0 Coyote??? This engine hasn't even been out for two years and they've already passed 1000HP, both S/C and Turboing the car. And...the Coyote is lighter....and gets better MPGs.

Am I 'hating' on the Shelby Owners? NO! You love your car just like I love mine. That is OK. It's a FREE country (at least for now) and you are free to buy what ever you'd like, and I am free to disagree w/ you for some of the reasons listed above.

EDIT: I just did a LOCAL GT500 search, and A dealer down the street from my house has about the most basic GT500 I think you can get......Sticker is $53,600.
Same Dealership, exact car I have except ext is black........ $28,423
That's almost HALF the price.

Last edited by Ditty; 11-06-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Last sentence.....
Old 11-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ditty
Food for thought:
For, $1600-1800 bucks (forget the vendor) there is a COMPLETE forged 5.0L kit. THAT is CHEAP!

I AM going to knock Shelby's (NOT Shelby OWNERS!). I'm not afraid.

I'd go w/ the 5.0 GT. The only cars w/ transmission issues where 2011 cars. I haven't read or heard a SINGLE complaint from a 2012 owner. #8 piston failures where a fault of the tuning companies not fully understanding this new computer's capabilities....as far as I can recall, it's all but 100% solved. It's a LOT cheaper, and, depending on the manufacturer of your S/C, you CAN get a warranty (I think it was Roush that offers 36month/36K miles). SHELBY's cost WAY too much IMHO. They are a status symbol and as far as I'm concerned, you're paying for Carroll Shelby's name, some off the shelf Ford Racing parts....(Yes, they are almost ALL available through FRPP, S/C as well), gauwdy (in my opinion) leather striped seats, ohhhh....and the badges and vinal stripes, can't forget those. I didn't even LOOK at the 5-6 Shelby's they had at the dealer....when I could easily afforded one over my GT.

Quick comparo via ebay for simplicity: 2012 GT500, running avg.....$50-53K....That's the buy it now, not including ttl. (Some are getting up way OVER $60K)
2012 GT 5.0 manual, average is about $32K...(This is option dependant. High optioned cars can get up into the $38k range)
So....you're looking at, BEFORE ttl....just the asking price, about $20K difference for a NEW CAR. Think about it. For $20k in modifications, I could easily have forged 800+hp 5.0 GT if I wanted, and the only people that would know it would possibly be my tuner, myself, and anyone else I chose to tell. Your Shelby.....you're advertising what you have 100% of the time. (I like being a little bit of a sleeper, and it'll keep your insurance rates down too!)

Is the GT the fastest production car on the planet? No. But it sure could be. 400+ crank HP ain't NOTHING to laugh about from a 302cid N/A stock motor....that gets better than 20mpg mixed.

I seen a few folks say that the 5.4L is a better platform for more power. IDK.....Have you looked at what some of these shops are doing w/ the 5.0 Coyote??? This engine hasn't even been out for two years and they've already passed 1000HP, both S/C and Turboing the car. And...the Coyote is lighter....and gets better MPGs.

Am I 'hating' on the Shelby Owners? NO! You love your car just like I love mine. That is OK. It's a FREE country (at least for now) and you are free to buy what ever you'd like, and I am free to disagree w/ you for some of the reasons listed above.

EDIT: I just did a LOCAL GT500 search, and A dealer down the street from my house has about the most basic GT500 I think you can get......Sticker is $53,600.
Same Dealership, exact car I have except ext is black........ $28,423
That's almost HALF the price.
I don't think anyone is going to jump down your throat for your thought, not me anyways. My story is more of a Canadian story as well I live in Canada lol. I was one of the first to purchase the new 05gt's (Apr 05) when they came out here. I had custom stripes painted at the dealer Roush 18's with Michelin pilots tint mufflers and I think that's it. The paint job ran 2000.00 the Flows roughly 300.00 tint roughly 300.00 tires and rims 3400.00. So in the end I paid approximately 44-45,000.00 for my 2005 Mustang Gt.

Skip forward 4 years and I decided after 5000 miles on the clock the 2005 bored me to tears so it's time to look for a new one. I had gone for a walk downtown and decided to stop in at the Pontiac dealer to wish the sales guy that sold a car to my wife Happy New Year but he was not in. I thought "what the hell lets go across the street to the Ford dealer and see what they have on the floor" They had a few 2009 GT 500's on the floor but none of them interested me because of colour/stripes etc. The salesman took me downstairs and holy GT500 heaven as they had a dozen or so 500's sitting collecting dust. Well 2 days later I drove home a brand new GT500 for 49,100.00 dollars CDN that stickered out at 57,899.00 plus tax (here it's at 5%). So for a 61,100.00 car I paid 49,100.00 which was 4000.00 more than I paid for my 2005 GT. I am thinking I scored a great deal personally. Best part of this story is we paid the car off many many months ago.

Last edited by Snakebite64; 11-06-2011 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Shelby 5.4L Versus Roush supercharged 5.0L