Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Shelby 5.4L Versus Roush supercharged 5.0L

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 12:35 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

+1000 in that last line

Originally Posted by onederful100
maybe our definition of better is not the same
GT500 is a better car, period.
GT500 is.you're not a fan of SC? then you obviously never drove a SC'd Mustang, bc you add a SC and thats 150 more hp on tap.
that is a major difference.
but maybe you like going slow.

nobody was talking about what was best for YOU.
the thread is comparing a SC'd GT vs a GT500.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:15 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

How many others are joining me in LMFAO at this thread?

The OP wants somebody to tell him he is right and the roush setup is better. Okay, YOU'RE RIGHT!

Feel better now?

I don't even know what to say to some of the other rediculous posts.......

Old 11-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Ditty
Food for thought:
I AM going to knock Shelby's (NOT Shelby OWNERS!). I'm not afraid.

I'd go w/ the 5.0 GT. The only cars w/ transmission issues where 2011 cars.
Not true.
I think the 5.0 is a great car.
Unlike you I am not going to knock EITHER car.
They both are GREAT.

But I know a couple of 2012 5.0 owners that DO have transmission problems.
Im unaware of Ford fixing the problem or them even saying they fixed the problem. If you could point out where they said they have that would be great. I'd love to read it. But nevertheless I still know a couple of 2012 owners with tranny problems. And I only know 5 5.0 owners in person.
3 2012 owners and 2 11 owners. Believe it or not the '11 owners I know have not had problems yet with their transmissions.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:24 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
Either choice is going to be lot of fun and a nice ride to be sure. I think all anyone is trying to say is that the GT500 is the nicer and more robust of the two options. But if the Roush gets you what you want and it's less expensive, then just smile and go for it.

Keep in mind though, that the GT500 does provide a more robust package for the extra money.

Enjoy!!!
I like your attitude! Everybody should have what they want!
Old 11-09-2011, 12:30 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mobydick
The Service manage is not there to know everything about every Vehicle Ford produces. He is there to manage the Flow in and out of the garage and be a lesion between the vehicle owner, Ford and the Techs working on the Vehicle. I would be stunned if any of then knew how the pistons were made.

Keep in mind that I was not demanding information, but obviously the service manager didn't want to extend any help or even courtesy to a potential buyer at the company he worked for! If I owned the company, he'd have one foot out the door considering the economy!
Old 11-09-2011, 12:39 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Default One of the issues is....

One of the issues is... that not everybody wants the extras on a Shelby (not as a less or more), but as a matter of personal preference! I actually prefer the looks and ride of a GT! My preference would be the 5.0L with a forged bottom end, stronger trans & clutch, bigger brakes & Bilstein Shocks. I think that would be the best of both worlds for me "strictly as personal preference" & not criticizing a Shelby! In 20 years the Shelby will be a better investment, but I'll likely be in an urn by that time! I'm into the spending rather than investing stage of life!
Old 11-11-2011, 07:35 AM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
maybe our definition of better is not the same.
my definition of better is:
more hp
better handling
better suspension
better brakes
supercharger, and easier to upgrade that supercharger to a huge supercharger
better transmission
better clutch
nicer interior

your definition of better is:
less hp
worse handling
worse suspension
worse brakes
no supercharger, that means less power and more expensive to put one in
worse transmission
worse clutch
not as nice interior

i guess if you go by your definition, the GT is better.

I see the arguement that you are trying to make, and I have tried to make that same arguement myself.
but in the end, you have to be honest with yourself. the GT500 is a better car, period.
I also got a GT bc i cannot afford, or did not want to spend all the money for a GT500.
so I am modding my GT as i can afford to.
but, my GT is not as good as a GT500. it is not as complete, not ready to upgrade like the GT500 is.
if I really thought my GT is better than a GT500, I would be lying to myself.

you're not a fan of SC? then you obviously never drove a SC'd Mustang, bc you add a SC and thats 150 more hp on tap.
that is a major difference.
but maybe you like going slow.

nobody was talking about what was best for YOU.
the thread is comparing a SC'd GT vs a GT500.
Accurate summary about this thread....
Old 11-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Falcon Fixer
2nd Gear Member

Since I own both,
2008 GT 500
2011 GT

The GT 500 is the better car
Better ride. You can feel the road.You don't float down the road in a GT 500 like the GT.
Better handling. Duh
Better seats. The seats in the GT suck.They offer NO lateral support in corners. Might as well be bench seats.
Better steering wheel. 08 to 11, narrower wheel in the 08, nicer grip, for me.
Better controls. 08 to 11 again, lights and turn signals.
Better resale.
Both cars cost the same to insure, LESS than 1k each per year.
The Roush is wound pretty tight for the 5.0.
The GT 500 has a lot of room to grow Safely.

I got the GT first.Had it for a year before adding the GT 500.
When I got the GT 500 I was shocked that they changed some things for the worse.
Meaning the turn signal and wiper stalks, the diameter of the steering wheel and also the the heater and AC controls.

Last edited by Falcon Fixer; 12-21-2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 11-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Falcon Fixer
Since I own both,
2008 GT 500
2011 GT

The GT 500 is the better car
Better ride.
Better handling.
Better seats.
Better steering wheel.
Better controls.
Better resale.
Both cars cost the same to insure, LESS than 1k each per year.
The Roush is wound pretty tight for the 5.0.
The GT 500 has a lot of room to grow Safely.
Point by point:

Better ride & handling? Yes, if you are running it on a track or road racing it around town..... Yikes! I think the GT 500 has a harsher ride not necessary for my style of driving.

By better seats, steering wheel & controls... do you mean better quality of design, or just fancier/different? I'm not arguing... just asking!

Better resale? Return on investment short term & long term? 20 years from now the GT 500 will definitely be worth more, but that's a long term investment that's not necessarily a great one investment wise unless you want to keep the car for 20 to 30 years anyway. The '08 GT I have shown here has $32K total in it including the new car purchase price in '08 (more bang for the buck) in my opinion. I don't have to recover that much if I sell it in five years. In terms of the 5.4L being a better engine to upgrade, I think you might be right if you are going for 700 HP+, but if you are happy with 540 HP I think the 5.0L Coyote engine with a Roush SC is much more bang for the buck & much, much nicer as a daily driver. The larger brakes now available from Ford sweetens that deal!

Everybody should buy what they like & "not get defensive" about other people's opinions & choices!

Some people just want to have a Shelby... so they should get one & be happy! I feel that way about C1 Corvettes (Sorry Ford guys!) Now, give me a 2013 Shelby at $45K & I'll love it too, but maybe less love at $65K+ after putting up with attitude from the Ford Dealer when I want a discount! Most dealers seem to think they can sell every Shelby at full list price or more & don't have to deal! (Are you good enough to buy our Shelby... you peasant???? Don't you realize this is a SHELBY????) They may be right, but not with me! I'm not 18 yrs. old with "credit" burning a hole in my pocket! I could buy most dealers entire stock of them for full list price with cash, but I don't buy dumb... which is why I can afford to do so! (Hear that young guys!) Ford, Shelby or Roush don't much care about my financial well being... so I owe them no allegiance or big profit! In the case of Shelby & Roush, some of what they sell is incredibly overpriced whether a good product or not! My '08 SC car needed a strut tower brace to stop the front end from twisting under torque. I got one for $104. that looks & works just fine! Check what Carroll & Jack want for one! Yikes! Can you say 500% markup? I think I'll order a half a dozen Roush or Shelby shop stools right now to impress my friends! Like that would work! They make fun of my Roush decals! LOL!

Last edited by Mr. D; 11-27-2011 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-27-2011, 06:49 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Mr D... Respectful rebuttal to some of your points
Gt500 short or long term better resale...
You buy a GT 5.0 and drive off the lot .. It will lose value immediately as would any car obviously
Obviously you do the same with the gt500... It too will lose value.. However I would state that it's value will depreciate at a lower rate.. Thus better resale value=GT500

Better ride.. ='that's opinion.. What qualifies as a better ride/handling to you is different than what I qualify a better ride

As far as the rest.. It's all opinion and this thread can go on forever... I'm not defensive about what I own.. I just prefer what I own... As you prefer whatever it is you own or will own... I just actually forgot what this thread was even started about but it definitely wasn't about listening to people who are in the know opinions... It became more of a YOU defending the 5.0 at all costs at the expense of the gt500 platform based on your opinion and your one experience with a single dealer.. Which also now makes you to make a statement as you did above that most dealers will charge markups etc ... Well IN Tampa area that is not the case at all.. Heck in most of the dealerships I came across in Fla that is not the case.. So does that mean Most dealers don't charge markups and will work with you or give you deals.. No.. It means most dealers that I have come in contact with don't..
Again.. Enjoy your 5.0 or whatever it is you decide to buy or have bought and you will live a long and happy life I'm sure..

Quick Reply: Shelby 5.4L Versus Roush supercharged 5.0L