Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

To Those Of You With Signed Dasplaques. Please Help And Read!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Exclamation To Those Of You With Signed Dasplaques. Please Help And Read!

I got my signed dash plaque in and put the kyrlon on it and let it cure for two weeks.

I put the plaque on today.
Well... I did not get it on PERFECT.
To the person looking at it. It looks perfect. I mean you have to get VERY close to notice this but here's where it is not perfect.

I seemed to have put the plaque about a half a centimeter too low.
Reason is that on both sides of the top part of it where it curves, it goes a TAD bit over into the crevasse between the AC and the dash.
It does it again about half a centimeter over.

Here's why I am bringing this up.
I am worried that if a tiny bit of air over time goes through these crevasses, that it might lift the tape off the plaque OR that over time the tiny amount of air
and possible moisture might cause the clear coat to come off over time.

I know that in our 06GT the air vents had foam on the outside of the tubing and also an outer tube that was right outside the main tube that let the air through
so that no air could come through those crevasses. I also put the air on high, closed the vents, and felt for air but I could not feel any.
But I worry about stuff all the time so naturally this worries me as well.

Again you really cannot tell it is like this unless you get close up.
I would take the plaque off if it looked to be off, being the way I am...but again you cannot tell unless you are REALLY close.

I took some pics so you all could see what I am talking about.
You can also tell because the bottom part where it curves has a TINY part where you can see the dash.

Should I take it off and redo because of the risks of it coming off or the clear coat coming off or am I just worrying with no need?
Keep in mind again these pics are CLOSE up and you cannot tell unless you are close with the eye.

Thanks!

NOTE: If the pictures of the whole plaque look crooked it is because of the way the camera is held.
It does NOT look crooked at ALL in reality. It looks STRAIGHT in reality. I promise unless you are very close you cannot tell the plaque is not perfect.
If it did not look right even a small amount I would take it off and redo it without second thought.
I am not trying to sway your thoughts one way or another I just want to make sure you guys know the only reason I would take it off and redo it is if the plaque could come up or the clear coat peel for the reasons I mentioned.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:24 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

FYI.. I did the same exact thing unfortunately... Please note I live in Fla so the AC is on 80% of the year in my DD .. It's been on there for going on 3.5 years and absolutely no issues at all.. I think you will be fine... FWIW too... I never sealed my signature and there isn't the slightest bit of fade at all..
Old 11-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Thanks for the info.

I got some really bad responses from the people in another forum saying it looked like shat but I think they did not realize how close up those pictures are.
You can't tell it's off unless you get pretty close up.

Believe it or not I posted on four forums and besides that one after about three hours this is the only other forum that has answered. I didn't even get a response on the GT500 owners main forum lol. I wanted to know asap because I did not want the tape to cure all the way making it harder to put on.

Of course three hours is quite a bit of time but I did not want to heat it up to take it off if I had to because I was afraid heating it up and making it very hot would make the clear coat soft thus damaging it.

If there is no danger of the plaque coming off due to a tiny bit of air going through that tiny space or the clear coat coming off because of that or moisture from the air then I am DEFINITELY leaving it on.

Heck the 3M tape that came with that was WIDE.
I have NEVER seen 3M tape come that wide before and even called Lowe's asking if they had it but they did not.

For future reference...Does anyone know where to get 3M tape that is about two and a half inches WIDE in it's strips? Not thick but wide.

Those pics of the corners were done with a cell phone and probably one inch or two inches away from the actual plaque lol.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:58 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Yeah some pepole are tools... It looks fine.. Mine looks exactly the same from very close up too... It bothers me from time to time because I know it's off but no one else has ever even noticed it... LOL
Old 11-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

The only way I can tell is if I am at the perfect angle and close up.

I do agree on the tool comment.
Not to call anyone a tool but the replies were pretty harsh.
I mean you can't notice it at ALL unless the circumstances are as I said before and I was getting comments like "I'd rather have no plaque at all than have that on like that."

Dunno... maybe they just did not actually have them themselves and were fooled by such close up shots.

I am VERY VERY PICKY and VERY paranoid when it comes to our Shelby, even when it involves small appearance things. If it looked off there's no way I would leave it on.
I can tell you that without thinking half of twice lol!

Most people on the forum as well as you... probably know just how paranoid (like my title says below my name), and finicky I am about things...lol!
Old 11-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Oh one more question.

Is your plaque completely smooth to the touch or a tad bit rough?
I can't remember if it is this way out of the box but mine is not glass smooth.
Dunno if its just the material it's made of or if something went wrong during the clear coat process.

I actually ordered another one of these to have around just in case.
Just did it about a week and a half ago. Thought it couldn't be a bad idea
just because you never know.
Also because Shelby won't be around forever, (But I hope he lives to be as old as
anyone can!)

Again thanks for the help!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:07 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Mine is a tad bit rough in certain areas.. Not completely smooth
Old 11-10-2011, 11:44 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

At least you got a good signature, some are not so nice.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:45 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I think it's darn near impossible to get them on there perfect. I think it looks just fine. I remember putting mine on and thinking I didn't do it *just right*. After it was on and I looked at it for a week or two, it seemed perfect to me.

And +1 about the signature. He did good on yours.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:31 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Like you said, it is too hard to tell. I could not tell unless I am staring at it as close as you put your camera on it.

Unless you are looking that closely, it does not look like S***. Those guys on the other sites are just giving you S***

Quick Reply: To Those Of You With Signed Dasplaques. Please Help And Read!