Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

2013 shelby is a monster

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 05:41 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Alec
There's a 29+ page thread over on the Camaro forums and after reading 8 pages of it, all I have to say is....

POST A LINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looked on a couple of Camaro forums and I'm having no luck finding the thread.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 11-28-2011 at 05:45 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:13 AM
kput
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
POST A LINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looked on a couple of Camaro forums and I'm having no luck finding the thread.
I found like 5 separate threads on the subject on multiple camaro forums this morning.

Their main arguments were,

although the new gt500 will have 70 more horsepower, and weigh 300 lbs less than the new zl1, the zl1 will still be faster, just because it's a camaro. (LOL lack of logic much?)

Also that the zl1 can hold up more power adding pulleys, boost, etc. (again, LOL, zl1 lacks the forged internals, not to mention just a CAI and tune alone will give the gt500 an additional 100hp...)

And that the zl1 is much sexier looking than the gt500...(yet it's nearly impossible to tell the v6, ss, and zl1 camaros apart...)

They also said that Ford needs to stop trying to best chevy...and that Chevy has to set the standard for Ford to follow....
but then again, how long was the Camaro out of production while the Mustang stood strong?

Oh, they also say that since the zl1 is a 2012 car (details released in late late 2012....car released in 2013) and the gt500 is released in 2013 and is a 2013 car, that the zl1 is again better...

they are definitely mad,
very mad fanboys. bested once again by Ford.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:54 PM
JBklynStang
1st Gear Member

anyone know if the shelby will provide an option for automatic transmission?
Old 12-01-2011, 06:25 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

They will not.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:32 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT
They will not.
And hopefully never will.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:30 PM
2FNQUIK
1st Gear Member

Yeah us GM boys are worried..can't lie about it...fully forged internal 5.8 plus light weight!!! It's going to be a fun shoot out but sadly I think you guy's got us on this one..ESPECIALLY once you start turnin up the boost!!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

You are welcome here anytime 2fnquik. Not because of the comments but because you are civil.

I think Ford and GM need each other (look at the SN95 mustangs 94-98) Very weak, even the New Edge (00-04) (which I happened to own at one time) were not as strong as they could've been. I think Ford saw that GM was going to be discontinouing the Camaro so they coasted. Then it took ford a few years to get back into the swing of things (2011 mustang).

I wouldn't be surprised if a 2014 Camaro ZL1 turns the boost up and revises the short block for more boost.

The one thing I'm curious about,how do the GM guys/gals feel about the ZL1 since it will essentially compete with the Vette Z06 and ZR1?
Old 01-05-2012, 05:31 PM
2FNQUIK
1st Gear Member

Thanks Derf, the ZL1 is a powerful car BUT its marketed to a different audience, the Z06 and ZR1 are in NO WAY evenly matched to ANY Camaro when you talk about OVERALL ability and performance, staightline performance and dyno numbers are one thing but when you get into dynamics and design and actual track use, etc...it's clear who the REAL winner is, now the Boss 302 LS is a tough competitor! That's a purpose built car, I thought for was actually going to build more around that car with the new design and leave the GT500 alone but man did they knock it out the park with this one, makes you think why you guy's didn't need any bailout money ..smart team all the way around with a great group of desingers, engineers, and loyal customer base that kept you guys on top...I LOVE what I'm seeing with what Ford is putting out now, ESPECIALLY without any gov't assistance
Old 01-06-2012, 01:08 AM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

cant wait for ford to release some of parts related to the new 2013 gt500.

It will have 6 piston brembos instead of the current 4 piston.

It will also have electronically adjustable Bilstein dampers.

Its a great time to Mustang lover
Old 01-07-2012, 04:47 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

One thing I'm excited about is the added power, controlled by a better sorted and stiffer (option setting) suspension, taller gearing to control launching plus actual launch control, and of course real traction control that doesn't just kill back the power like in my 06, but actually allows the car to go to maximum limit right before spin and simply curves back the power just enough to avoid the spin or loss of traction, but not to impede acceleration. Plus the bigger brakes and the car weighs 3850 and has 33% better control and response at 160mph due to better aerodynamics including downforce. Awesome!

Although the rear tires are 285/35/20 at 27.9 tall, they are balanced for the cars handling to the limit on a road course and at it's new 202mph high speed. As well as the 265/40/19's up front. The drag strip crowd will of course put fatter tires in the back or slicks, so they'll be fine.

I'm just thrilled to see that they broke down the design once again and re-thought everything from the priority of handling, traction control, acceleration out of corners, braking. I think the added power will be a huge plus in long straights on open road courses, but the real improvements to me will hopefully be the handling (stiffer sport setting) and grip out of corners (real modern sophisticated traction control).

I really hope SVT has hit a max level of high performance harmony for the Mustang platform with the 2013 GT500. Erik

Quick Reply: 2013 shelby is a monster