Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Need Help with TSB syncro Test.2008GT500

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Exclamation Need Help with TSB syncro Test.2008GT500

Testing my syncros for damage. No signs of the clutch/flywheel tsb that I can tell but question.

Here's what the ford TSB says to do:
Set parking brake.
Transmission in neutral.
Start engine and allow it to idle.
Clutch engaged - pedal fully released.
Attempt to shift transmission into first gear by firmly pushing shift lever approximately 5-10 lb-ft (22-45 N-m) force for 2-3 seconds.
If the synchronizers are okay, the transmission will not make any clash or grinding noise. You will not be able to move the gearshift lever into the selected gear (the synchronizer will block out gear engagement) and the engine RPM will decrease slightly.
Repeat the synchronizer test (Step 5 and 6) on all of the other forward gears.
If the transmission passes the synchronizer test, the transmission will not require additional service; proceed with clutch/flywheel replacement only. Refer to Clutch Replacement procedure.
If clash/grinding noise is found when performing the synchronizer diagnostic, the transmission will need to be repaired along with the replacement of the clutch. Refer to Transmission Repair procedure.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

So I did the test.
I hear no loud clash or loud grind like the loud grind when you miss a gear but I do hear a sound like rrrrrraaarrr. A slight noise.
I have to have the radio off or LOW to hear it. If you press harder it does get slightly louder.
But it is louder in first and second than the other gears.

I took it to the Ford guy I trust and he said it was just the metal on metal not letting my car go into gear because the clutch was not pressed.
I am asking others if they have this slight sound too or if there's is TOTALLY silent or what.

Trying to figure out if mine is safe and normal or if I have a problem.
Thanks!

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 08-10-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I think you are fine Smoke...
Old 08-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Does yours do that as well?
If you havent tried would you try when you can and post it here for me?

I would REALLY appreciate it!

Notice it says to put about ten pounds of force on it for 2-3 secs

It is a consistent sound as long as you try pushing the stick in gear with the clutch un pressed and ebrake on. Like I said it does not sound horrible or quite like it does if you miss a gear bad. It is a reee sound.
Oh and if the radio was turned on you could not hear it unless the radio was at an almost unhearable level lol. Just to give you an idea of how loud it is.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 08-10-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Does yours do that as well?
If you havent tried would you try when you can and post it here for me?

I would REALLY appreciate it!

Notice it says to put about ten pounds of force on it for 2-3 secs

It is a consistent sound as long as you try pushing the stick in gear with the clutch un pressed and ebrake on. Like I said it does not sound horrible or quite like it does if you miss a gear bad. It is a reee sound.
Oh and if the radio was turned on you could not hear it unless the radio was at an almost unhearable level lol. Just to give you an idea of how loud it is.
Mine has the same type of slight sound...I have 12 k on it now without any hint of clutch or shifting problems..and I run it around town a lot with the clutch and transmission getting a good workout each time...I am sure you feel the second gear notchy shifting...I have found if I hesitate a second or two in neutral before in going into second (when cold) it doesnt have that...after it warms up it goes away also..