Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Stock 07 brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 07:43 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Default Stock 07 brake pads

I've got more brake dust from these pads than any other vehicle I've owned and after driving in the mountains for over 25 years!

I seriously havent sped in this car except once since I bought it. It's enough of a magnet I'm going to exercise much more caution to avoid a ticket and I just love how it rides so I havent felt the need for speed.

I'm sure they are the original pads and they have plenty of pad left as I bought the car with 1200 miles on it. Is high levels of brake dust normal?

Also one more question....the time I did speed it was pretty fast in a straight line. That's all Im going to say about that. But, there was a smell like burning rubber almost for a short time. Didnt smell electrical. No signs of smoke...nothing....I pulled over and immediately popped the hood and didnt find anything. I didnt even smell it under the hood. Is it possible that the original pads on the Brembo's would smell like that. I'm not certain I smelled it before or after applying the brakes though.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

The brakes seem to dust coat my rims before I ever move it LOL...have to wipe them down after every little drive...as for the smell I bet it was the cats getting hot with your "speeding incident" ...but if you were really on the brakes hard for an extended time they will certainly give off a smell...
Old 08-11-2012, 11:20 AM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

The OEM pads spew huge amounts of brake dust that just coats the wheels and the rear end of the car, so that's normal. I replaced them with Autozone Duralast Cmax pads a few years ago and that reduced the dust problem substantially.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:39 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lifter583
The brakes seem to dust coat my rims before I ever move it LOL...have to wipe them down after every little drive...as for the smell I bet it was the cats getting hot with your "speeding incident" ...but if you were really on the brakes hard for an extended time they will certainly give off a smell...
lol...thanks. Living in the Rockies most of my life and then the last 10 years working at the bottom of I70 coming into Denver where brakes tend to run a little warm or even catch fire, I'm really familiar with the smell of hot and burning brakes. I feel bad for the truck drivers who's trailer brakes catch fire and the fire dept is closing 1 or 2 lanes to put them out! With the volume of dust, I thought maybe there was something unique about these stock pads that might make them smell different. The cats do make sense since they are pretty close to my feet and that's why I wouldnt have smelled them from the engine bay.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:20 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
lol...thanks. Living in the Rockies most of my life and then the last 10 years working at the bottom of I70 coming into Denver where brakes tend to run a little warm or even catch fire, I'm really familiar with the smell of hot and burning brakes. I feel bad for the truck drivers who's trailer brakes catch fire and the fire dept is closing 1 or 2 lanes to put them out! With the volume of dust, I thought maybe there was something unique about these stock pads that might make them smell different. The cats do make sense since they are pretty close to my feet and that's why I wouldnt have smelled them from the engine bay.
You need to heat those cats up some more!!... a lot of fun and they wont smell after a few times LOL
Old 08-12-2012, 09:19 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lifter583
You need to heat those cats up some more!!... a lot of fun and they wont smell after a few times LOL
Now thats the best plan I've heard!