Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Is this normal ... and what causes it...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 09:10 PM
jonchicoine

Default Is this normal ... and what causes it...

I feel silly asking this, but ....

If i'm going easy on the gas, and then i just floor it, i get a slight burst of acceration, followed by a very slight reduction in power, followed immediately by what feels like full power...

I seem to remember other cars doing that...

Is this normal for a GT500? what causes it?

thanks
jonathan
Old 08-11-2012, 09:34 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Traction control maybe?
Old 08-11-2012, 09:47 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

?? Not for my 2008
Old 08-12-2012, 04:19 AM
jonchicoine

Originally Posted by wcgman
Traction control maybe?
hmmm... well... this was happening at speeds and rpm where there was no chance for wheel spin ...

however, i just went out to car and with it sitting still it doesn't exhibit the same hesitation when just mashing the accelerator ... so perhaps it is something computer related... i just didn't notice it doing this when i first got it a week ago... but i was also a bit more gentle with the right most pedal ... i'll have to turn off TC and go for a drive ....

I appreciate the response...

i'm new to cars like this... in the past, for me, cars were just for getting from point a to b ... now i have such a nice car, i worry about every little thing ...

thanks
jonathan
Old 08-12-2012, 08:00 AM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

Definitely try it without the traction control and see if that helps. These things will spin at speeds that most cars will not lol.

When you floor it, what rpms are you at??

And also, what part of NC are you from??
Old 08-12-2012, 08:44 AM
jonchicoine

I recently purchased a house out in East Bend, NC... just nw of Winston.

I noticed it yesterday, a hot day with warmed up Eagle F1 G2s on it... for me... those things don't spin at all once warmed up... for sure, they won't spin in 2nd gear at any rpm once the tires are warm... so i don't think it was wheel spin.

time for a drive i'm thinking...
Old 08-12-2012, 09:23 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Yeah - I've noticed that mine gets squirrely really until shifting into 4th gear on hard acceleration and it feels like TCS but I'm too busy watching the road and handling the car to see if the TCS light in the instrument is active (flashing). It definitely feels different than the GT's I've had ever did.

If you do turn your TCS off, be super careful if you're still getting used to the car. It really is a beast and could be easy to lose control. That being said...enjoy your drive!
Old 08-12-2012, 09:44 AM
jonchicoine

went for a drive... i think i know what it is... it's the difference in power in the time it takes when i floor it for the supercharger to kick in... i mean... it an't take even a 1/4 of second... but i was wondering waht it is... now i know...

had tc off and when to pass someone and the tires broke loose shifting into 3rd... that kinda surprised me...

i've seen people complain about those eagle f1's but... i'm just floored at how well my car holds the road... double the speed limit into any corner seems no where near the edge... i think i would have to push to almost 3 times the posted speed limit for a corner to test those tires... however, i've heard they are they are terrilbe if the temp is below 50...

getting new tires this week to troubleshoot a "vibration" and still can't decide if i want the SVT OEM ones (the f1s) or the Pilot Super Sports... as this is my only car atm...
Old 08-14-2012, 06:53 AM
jonchicoine

Well... i'm still a little concerned about this...

again, if i'm going like 40 in second gear maintaining speed, and then i punch the pedal, in that split second that it takes for the SC to kick in there's a very quick blip of power... it's like what you would do on a motorcycle to pop a wheelie... just before the big power kicks in, the power seems lets up for a split second...

I don't know if that's normal... or what would cause it... but you you can't just press the accelerator hard to make it happen... i think you have be at like around 3k rpm and just mash it to the floor

i think the same thing happens in 3rd at around 60 if you just recklessly floor it...

it happens with TC turned off, but i was testing it at rpm where there isn't a great deal of torq... like 3k ... so tc should have nothing to do with it anywho...

car only has 6k miles on it... (i've put on that last 600 ...) i really think i'm just being over senative... looking for problems... since i know nothing about cars... other than i like to go fast
Old 08-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Make sure the clutch is not slipping.

Quick Reply: Is this normal ... and what causes it...